Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Day Trades involving the Bengals?
(04-11-2018, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Keep all 11 picks.  That gives us the best chance to find good players.

After the first couple of rounds it is pretty random.  Lots of third round picks flop and there are always good players found in the later rounds.  So it is like buying lottery tickets.  Having 11 gives you a better chance of finding a good player than just having 7.

(04-11-2018, 05:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't care which one we get really, because it's all a crap shoot.... but I want the new center to be "irritable" as someone called Price..... our line could use some "irritable".....

I think if Alexander or Davenport are there at 21, it will be a difficult decision to trade back. If Carter, Landry or Carlton Davis are there in round 2, it could also be a defensive pick.

Given the number of visits from ends and LBs, defense in rounds 1 and 2 seems to be the signal. 

Although, it would be great to shore up the O-line in early rounds, I have a feeling that it will be addressed starting in round three.

Price and Hernandez will be gone by mid round 2, but it is very possible that Ragnow and Brown will be there in round 3.

Ultimately, it will depend on the NSR rankings, and who falls.     
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trade forward if anything. Has the Bengals trading back ever worked out?

Traded back and took Chris Perry rather than Stephen Jackson.
Traded back and took Kevin Zeitler rather than David DeCastro.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 04:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I hope the bengals move up in 3-4 (once or twice) with all their draft capital later in the draft. There will be good players who fall for one reason or another and often times teams know the bengals just jump on BPa and we get jumped right in front of. I would happily give up late round picks to jump up and get a player they know they want. Rather than beg for a team not to draft a kid 4-5 spots in a row, only to see him go right in front of them.

That is why I have a huge love/hate relationship with the draft. Also Ariz and the Rams always seem to pick the players I want every year. Still my favorite time of year.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 09:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trade forward if anything. Has the Bengals trading back ever worked out?

Still  makes me mad.  We already had Rudi Johnson.  We should have taken Vince Wilfork.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 09:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trade forward if anything. Has the Bengals trading back ever worked out?

Traded forward for Kijana Carter.

Technically, traded forward for Russell Bodine too. 
Reply/Quote
Kind of depends on who is available and when they're available. I can see them going either way, trading up and giving up a late round pick or so or trading down to pick up extra picks. It is possible I suppose that they could give up the 1st round 21st pick in exchange for a few extra 3rd or 4th rounders.. Not sure if it would be unprecedented in Bengals history or not, but certainly not unprecedented in league history .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What are your thoughts on the Bengals making a significant trade on day 1 or 2 on draft day? Paul Daugherty on Cincinnati.com in his most recent mock draft has the Bengals moving back even farther in the first round and picking up Price. Now, we know the Bengals have done these types of deals before, but do you think it happens again this year or what you think the likelihood of it happening in the any of the first 3 rounds?

I can definately see us moving back and picking Ragnow or McGlinchey/Kolton Miller.

Price being injured hurts us early in the season. Need someone ready to go in OTA's at Center.

Ragnow is just as good as Price and he is ready to go and played in the SEC against the big uglies.
Reply/Quote

This brings back PTSD.  I was mowing the lawn at time of pick.  I couldn't believe they picked Perry.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 04:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: People are overhyping Billy Price. I don't see him much better than Pat Elflein, who was a late-second round pick.
Daniels is more athletic than Price and longer arms.
Ragnow is similiar to Price in style but with better reach and better technically. Ragnow also never gave up a sack his entire college career.
Price is the most aggressive and powerful out of the three but doesn't really stand out anywhere else.
Both Price and Ragnow are versatile in that they have played both C and OG.
Price has said he'd be recovered from his pec injury by the start of TC but there's no guarantee of that. Daniels and Ragnow are both healthy at this point, which is another plus.

So I'm waiting for someone to clearly explain why Price is better than both Daniels and Ragnow, as I'm not seeing it.
Give me anyone of the three in second round. All are better than "Bovine". Trade back and throw in a couple 7th rd. picks  for another 2-3 pick. They have no 6th rd. pick.
Reply/Quote

I'm not opposed to moving up in the early rounds (even though the Bengals apparently are), but who would be attainable that we could reasonably trade up for that would be worth the cost?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 05:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not opposed to moving up in the early rounds (even though the Bengals apparently are), but who would be attainable that we could reasonably trade up for that would be worth the cost?

I could see the Bengals moving up in round 2 if Payne or Hurst is there.  As well as move up in round 3 to get Brown and/or Lorenzo Carter.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Keep all 11 picks.  That gives us the best chance to find good players.

After the first couple of rounds it is pretty random.  Lots of third round picks flop and there are always good players found in the later rounds.  So it is like buying lottery tickets.  Having 11 gives you a better chance of finding a good player than just having 7.

I respectfully disagree Fred. Most every year I agree with you and this logic, but I think we need quality players this year not

quantity. If we waste another 5th round pick by picking a Kicker who isnt even going to make the team and get picked up

somewhere else. I will loose my shiz.

No way in hell we need 11 players in this years draft, and just hope one or two picks after round 2 pan out.

I am sick of spending years grooming players that suck, and the Bengals just eventually cut anyway.

In my opinion I would like to see efforts in packing lower round picks into moving up in some of the middle rounds.

I would rather have 7 quality players drafted then 11 "so so" guys that "well if we give them enough time, patience, coaching blah

blah blah blah.......... no...... just no.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:03 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I would rather have 7 quality players drafted then 11 "so so" guys that "well if we give them enough time, patience, coaching blah

blah blah blah.......... no...... just no.

The bets way to get 7 quality players is to draft 11.

Giving away a pick just to move up in the 4th round makes zero sense because findng a quality player in the fourth round is bawsed on luck instead of scouting.

If you want a quality DE would you rather have 2nd round pick Margus Hunt or 4th round pick Carl Lawson?

If you want a quality WR would you rather have 2nd round pick Tyler Boyd or 5th round pick Marvin Jones?

If you want a quality DT would you rather have 2nd round pick Devon Still or 4th round pick Geno Atkins?
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The bets way to get 7 quality players is to draft 11.

Giving away a pick just to move up in the 4th round makes zero sense because findng a quality player in the fourth round is bawsed on luck instead of scouting.

If you want a quality DE would you rather have 2nd round pick Margus Hunt or 4th round pick Carl Lawson?

If you want a quality WR would you rather have 2nd round pick Tyler Boyd or 5th round pick Marvin Jones?

If you want a quality DT would you rather have 2nd round pick Devon Still or 4th round pick Geno Atkins?

It’s all a moot point as we know the Bengals very rarely trade up, as in what like 4 times ever? You forgot Cedric Ogbuehi & Jake Fisher, but instead of replying with all the middle & later round bums this team has drafted. I just see 4-5 starters, 3 Oline, LB, & Saftey I think the Bengals need now over depth or wasted picks. I would even be cool with gaining 2019 draft picks. Just do not see the need for 11 this year.
Reply/Quote
We never know what we'll get in the 11.. I bet all 11 will be first day starters, all go to the probowl and all win rookie of the year . 

You never know ..I could be just FOS too.... nah..that's impossible .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:10 PM)bambino5130 Wrote:  Just do not see the need for 11 this year.

Even when we only have 7 there are usually one or two who don't make the team.

The point I am making is that giving up picks to move up in the middle rounds mkaes it LESS likely to get goodplayers than taking 11.  My argument is that finding a good player after the third round is random and based on luck instead of scouting.

I'd say you are more likely to get a good player with 2 sixth round picks than with one fifth round pick.  Or more likely with a late third round pick and a fifth round pick than one pick earlier in the third.  I doubt there is any difference at all in the NFL production of guys taken in the first half of the third round and the second half so why give up a pick to move up?
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The bets way to get 7 quality players is to draft 11.

Yeah the Draft is a crapshoot. The more picks the more likely to find that diamond in the rough.
Reply/Quote
Best way to get 7 quality players is to pick them in the first 4 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What are your thoughts on the Bengals making a significant trade on day 1 or 2 on draft day? Paul Daugherty on Cincinnati.com in his most recent mock draft has the Bengals moving back even farther in the first round and picking up Price. Now, we know the Bengals have done these types of deals before, but do you think it happens again this year or what you think the likelihood of it happening in the any of the first 3 rounds?

I would say very highly likely. I would think Tampa Bay's 2nd round (pick 6) and their 4th (pick2) could be a possible trade partner.

New England 1st round (31)
& round 2 (43 or 63, depending).

The Vikings1st (pick 30) & 2nd (pick 62)

There are plenty of others to look at where they have spread out picks all over, but might.be missing the middle rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 05:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not opposed to moving up in the early rounds (even though the Bengals apparently are), but who would be attainable that we could reasonably trade up for that would be worth the cost?

Oh, not suggesting moving forward in the 1st round. Just like the 2nd and 3rd.

The Bengals honestly don't need 3 5ths and 3 7ths. Package some of those together, and trade up and make sure you get some good guys with your earlier picks. Quality over quantity.

I can just see them thinking they can wait to get a C in the 2nd round, and then by the time the 46th pick rolls around, all the good ones are gone... because everyone else in the world know the Bengals need a C, so anyone who wants one will be sure to trade up a few spots above the Bengals to take them. Just like in 2016, when everyone knew the Bengals needed a WR, so the three picks in front of the Bengals? 3 WRs. So then the Bengals ended up waiting until the 2nd round to get Boyd, when they could have traded up in the 2nd to get Michael Thomas.

It's been 6 years since they got a decent player in the 5th or later rounds. Yet they keep treating them as their precious after letting players like Whit go.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote