Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Draft Grades for Pick 28 Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 10:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I've seen Trey Hendrickson throw up on the sidelines during games because he's so worn out by the end of the 4th quarter.

Anything to help that from not happening anymore I'm down with.

We got zero edge rush from anyone outside of Trey last year. It filled a need with a first round graded player. Good pick. 

Dunlap routinely played 75-85% of the snaps, Michael Johnson routinely played 75-80% of the snaps. Hendrickson has never reached even 70% of the snaps in any season. I think Hendrickson just needs to condition differently and change what he is eating the night before/day of the games if he's having that much of a problem playing 2/3rds of the snaps. Sam Hubbard has played over 80% of the snaps each of the last two years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:05 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Pass rush was an absolute joke last season.  We've seen what happens when Burrow is running for his life every other play while guys like Mahomes get to just stand back there in the pocket all ***** day long.  Mahomes was barely touched the last two games of the year, and he has a Lombardi to show for it.

TE class is deep this year, and we just signed a veteran FA.  Burrow will make do with whoever they give him there.  Shore up the trenches.

To be fair Mahomes is damn near impossible to sack. It's what makes him so special. Squirely mother *****. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dunlap routinely played 75-85% of the snaps, Michael Johnson routinely played 75-80% of the snaps. Hendrickson has never reached even 70% of the snaps in any season. I think Hendrickson just needs to condition differently and change what he is eating the night before/day of the games if he's having that much of a problem playing 2/3rds of the snaps. Sam Hubbard has played over 80% of the snaps each of the last two years.

Really hard to judge exhaustion based on snaps played. Guys take plays off while Trey could give max effort on every play. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Look at the NFL.com grades. They give a lot of A's. Some B's. Then a few C's.

No one knows how these guys will turn out. As of now, it was a good roll of the dice.

If we took Porter, Maher, etc...we probably still get an A.

Noticed that, too. A first rounder was a god pick...Grade it an A!!!!

The C's were teams who didn't pick.

Seems like no one sees any reaches so, on the surface, no one really pooped the bed. Draft grades in three years will be the tell tale. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:06 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Where are the A's? Am I missing them somewhere?

Oh, because 50% of the 1-day-later-zero-evidence grades being As instead of Bs suddenly turns a guy from a massive bust to a huge success? Lol

The whole idea of putting grades on picks before at least 2 years have passed is just silly. You can like a pick or dislike a pick immediately, but the idea that anyone can immediately put a grade (and that grade somehow has legitimacy) on draft picks is just nonsense.

In 2018...
Baker Mayfield: B
Sam Darnold: A
Josh Allen: C-
Josh Rosen: A
Lamar Jackson: A+
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772466-nfl-draft-2018-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

John Ross got a B, Patrick Mahomes got a B-
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706119-nfl-draft-grades-2017-full-results-analysis-and-reaction-from-round-1

It's all just nonsense.

Reply/Quote
Don't really care about the grades in the 1st round. All I know is I didn't expect Myles Murphy to even be an option before
the Draft. Expected him to go in the teens, to add a pass rusher with this kind of upside really surprised me. This guy will be
a factor for sure as a rookie and could grow into an All-pro type End.

I am imagining a "Terror Package" with Hendrickson and Murphy on the Edges and Hubbard and Ossai at DT...PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:10 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Am always down for pass rushers being added so welcome aboard Mr Murphy.

Thought the Bengals would go a different direction,TE, CB, OT, RB, yet am fine with this pick and willing to watch how the draft unfolds before judging. This pick could be the start of a great draft

3 good TEs still on board we might try and move up to grab one or see who falls  (or trade a certain player for a pick)
Reply/Quote

I think that Myles Murphy will be as good or better than Rashan Gary of the Packers. I think he will be a Better pass rusher than Gary because of his speed. Rashan Gary was a 12th overall pick in round 1, so Murphy to me is a Great value at pick #28.
Either Sam Hubbard or Trey Hendrickson may be DUE for an injury, so having Myles Murphy gives better quality Depth and they can Rotate in Fresh against Mahommes & other QBs when all are Healthy.

Myles Murphy 6 foot 5 258 pounds 4.51-second 40 time

Rashan Gary 6 foot 4 and 3/8 277 pounds 4.58-second 40 time
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 3 good TEs still on board we might try and move up to grab one or see who falls  (or trade a certain player for a pick)

Seems like the Jets need that certain player. They got jumped for the last, highly rated OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I think that Myles Murphy will be as good or better than Rashan Gary of the Packers. I think he will be a Better pass rusher than Gary because of his speed. Rashan Gary was a 12th overall pick in round 1, so Murphy to me is a Great value at pick #28.
Either Sam Hubbard or Trey Hendrickson may be DUE for an injury, so having Myles Murphy gives better quality Depth and they can Rotate in Fresh against Mahommes & other QBs when all are Healthy.

Myles Murphy      6 foot 5    258 pounds   4.51-second 40 time

Rashan Gary   6 foot 4 and 3/8    277 pounds  4.58-second 40 time

Nice comparison Depthchart. Murphy could be a big time steal. Love how the Chiefs seemed to panic and overdrafted Uzomah right after lol

I like Uzomah, but I would of wanted him in the 2nd round about 30 picks later...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dunlap routinely played 75-85% of the snaps, Michael Johnson routinely played 75-80% of the snaps. Hendrickson has never reached even 70% of the snaps in any season. I think Hendrickson just needs to condition differently and change what he is eating the night before/day of the games if he's having that much of a problem playing 2/3rds of the snaps. Sam Hubbard has played over 80% of the snaps each of the last two years.

Yeah Dunlap and Johnson never played at a Super Bowl level with the Bengals or deep into the post season did they? Are you seriously trying to bash Hendrickson? That guy leaves it all on the field every single snap he takes. Hubbard and Hendrickson both showed fatigue down the stretch and it was not about their conditioning level rather the effort they give every single snap while playing deep into the playoffs. Nice try put poor points.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:15 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yeah Dunlap and Johnson never played at a Super Bowl level with the Bengals or deep into the post season did they? Are you seriously trying to bash Hendrickson? That guy leaves it all on the field every single snap he takes. Hubbard and Hendrickson both showed fatigue down the stretch and it was not about their conditioning level rather the effort they give every single snap while playing deep into the playoffs. Nice try put poor points.

Dunlap and Johnson never had Joe Burrow as their QB. I'm not bashing Hendrickson, I am treating him like the high level professional he is by saying that he's never had an unreasonable workload, so I don't think he needs to be rescued from it.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dunlap and Johnson never had Joe Burrow as their QB. I'm not bashing Hendrickson, I am treating him like the high level professional he is by saying that he's never had an unreasonable workload, so I don't think he needs to be rescued from it.

Let's simplify this. The fresher the legs of those getting after the QB the more effective they are at getting to the QB. It is not about rescue it is about being smart as a team. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well considering Lamar just got a 5 year deal... we need legs to chase him for the next 5 years...

And here they are

The Ravens drafted new legs for Lamar? Is some poor college athlete now wearing prosthetic legs because of Lamar? That's mean.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Are you kidding me? Let's revisit what one of the main knocks on Carlos Dunlap was..... He took plays off!!! I have never seen Hendrickson not going 100% on any play he is on the field for. You might, on a good day, get 100% effort out of Dunlap on 60% of the plays he was in for. If it were 3rd and long, Dunlap was coming. Other than that, he would often just stand up and go through the motions.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you kidding me? Let's revisit what one of the main knocks on Carlos Dunlap was..... He took plays off!!! I have never seen Hendrickson not going 100% on any play he is on the field for. You might, on a good day, get 100% effort out of Dunlap on 60% of the plays he was in for. If it were 3rd and long, Dunlap was coming. Other than that, he would often just stand up and go through the motions.

I like Hendrickson a lot, and I know dunlap never had 15 sacks in a season like Trey did, but dunlap would give you 11.5 sacks with better run defense and way more batted passes. It's close, but I'll take Dunlap in his prime over Trey just because he is more well rounded. Trey is lacking in the run defense and batted balls department

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:40 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, NFL.com gave an A to the Los Angeles Rams, who didn't even have a pick. They did that because it was a pick they gave up for Matthew Stafford. But bet the Rams didn't expect it would be the 6th pick in the draft.

Detroit got hammered in their rating for moving up to take Gibbs.

The Bengals assessment of an A had a lot of caveats:

"Analysis: Murphy was not a dominant player at Clemson but showed the ability to win the edge at times and has the strength to hold his part of the bargain on run defense. The Bengals could have used a cornerback, but perhaps they did not have any first-round-caliber players at the position left on their board. Tight end Michael Mayer would have also been a worthy selection."

The guys on NFLN commented last night on how quickly the Bengals made their selection.  The line was that they practically ran up to the podium.  To me that says that Murphy was by far and away the highest-ranked player left on their board.  No CB or TE was even close to him.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I can't figure out how to post Tweets but Grinding The Mocks has us with the highest valued pick according to mock-draft and big-board consesus!

Another Tweet by Anthony Reinhard has us as having the biggest steal of the draft!

I know pass rush was a major weakness for us last year and looks like our front office has their act together!

(How do I post/embed Tweets?)
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like Hendrickson a lot, and I know dunlap never had 15 sacks in a season like Trey did, but dunlap would give you 11.5 sacks with better run defense and way more batted passes. It's close, but I'll take Dunlap in his prime over Trey just because he is more well rounded. Trey is lacking in the run defense and batted balls department

Eh, the selfishness from Los before we traded him completely destroyed anything he did to me.

I will take the dude that gets to the QB in the biggest moments and is selfless and a good teammate. That is Trey Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, the selfishness from Los before we traded him completely destroyed anything he did to me.

I will take the dude that gets to the QB in the biggest moments and is selfless and a good teammate. That is Trey Hendrickson.

bengals fans really take it personal when a player leaves on a bad note lmao 

I dont care, he didnt want to spend his twilight years on a rebuilding team. When he was here, in his prime, and a key part of those Dalton playoff teams, the dude was great

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote