Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Lottery
The MLB Draft Lottery was held and had shockers at the top. Cleveland gets the #1 pick despite only having a 2% chance and the Reds get the #2 pick despite having less than 1% chance at #1.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/guardians-win-draft-lottery.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, well. A pleasant surprise for the Reds.

Time to check out some mock drafts!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We were owed a better than expected draft position this season, after being screwed last season in one of the most top heavy drafts in recent MLB history. In the 2023 draft, we had the 3rd worst record in 2022, but fell all the way to #7 in a class with 5 elite prospects

It's still early, so these prospects have an entire season to improve their stock, but at this moment, I don't believe a single player in this draft is projected to be as good as any of the top 5 players in the 2023 draft (Paul Skenes, Dylan Crews, Wyatt Langford, Max Clark, Walker Jenkins).

With that said, #2 is still amazing considering we were given only a 0.9% chance of getting a pick this high. I think this could impact our free agency and trade strategy as well.

Let's say we really like 2 prospects in the upcoming draft as hitters who could speed through the minors and reach Cincinnati by the beginning of the 2025 or 2026 season. With that in mind, we could justify trading Edwin Arroyo, Cam Collier or Sal Stewart as a center piece for an Ace pitcher, with the understanding that we'll effectively replace them with a similarly (or more) talented prospect in a few months.
Reply/Quote
Put me in the Brody Brecht camp at the moment. He's 6'4 225 RHP playing at Iowa.
Reply/Quote
Good deal..Now let's hope the Reds pick well and don't opt for a career A ball player..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote