Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Needs
I think we've all seen enough to know what the big needs are for next year's draft/free agency.

1. Interior Pass Rush - We've been missing this since Geno retired. We got a glimpse with Larry O, but we absolutely must have a guy that can knife through the line and create pressure up the middle.

2. Safety - I'll hedge this a little, saying that maybe Battle can be the guy to step in and secure this spot. I would much rather see another speed/coverage guy like Dax back there.

3. TE - Normally I don't clamor for a tight end, but the reality is that teams aren't going to move away from taking away the deep stuff. We need a guy that can punish teams over the middle and make some big plays up the seam.

4. IOL. Still not sold on the guys. It would be nice to have a Pro-Bowl caliber guy somewhere in the middle.

Obviously things will change with the roster, but those are the issues that I seem to scratch my head about every week.
Reply/Quote
I think our needs will depend a ton on what happens in free agency.

We have 3 massive free agents in 2024, with Higgins, Boyd and Jonah all set to leave the team.

Depending on how many of them are re-signed will define what our biggest needs are.

Right now, I'm anticipating that Jonah leaves on an 18 to 20 MM AAV contract (overpaid, like Mike McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor). That puts RT as my top need. Followed by WR if we don't keep Higgins. Even if we franchise him, I'd still prioritize WR, as we don't know what happens with Boyd in that scenario.

After that, I'd start looking at DT, TE and IOL. Safety I'm going to put on hold, as we do have Battle.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 07:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think our needs will depend a ton on what happens in free agency.

We have 3 massive free agents in 2024, with Higgins, Boyd and Jonah all set to leave the team.

Depending on how many of them are re-signed will define what our biggest needs are.

Right now, I'm anticipating that Jonah leaves on an 18 to 20 MM AAV contract (overpaid, like Mike McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor). That puts RT as my top need. Followed by WR if we don't keep Higgins. Even if we franchise him, I'd still prioritize WR, as we don't know what happens with Boyd in that scenario.

After that, I'd start looking at DT, TE and IOL. Safety I'm going to put on hold, as we do have Battle.

DJ Reader and Josh Tupou are both free agents. Even if you bring back one a nose tackle will still be needed...evidenced by Sunday lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RB is a need.
Reply/Quote
They'll have to go after a TE at some point. None of the four on the roster are signed beyond this season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It really could be a lot of needs. I think we use a tag on somebody, franchise, transition, something. Losing Jonah, Reader, Higgins, Boyd, Awuzie plus all your TEs, LB depth, and OL depth is a lot.

We will have potential solution at every spot before going into the draft though. Could be a big roster churn coming up.
We need to start sniping some of the good veterans looking for a ring playing for a discount.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think we've all seen enough to know what the big needs are for next year's draft/free agency.

1.  Interior Pass Rush - We've been missing this since Geno retired.  We got a glimpse with Larry O, but we absolutely must have a guy that can knife through the line and create pressure up the middle.

2.  Safety - I'll hedge this a little, saying that maybe Battle can be the guy to step in and secure this spot.  I would much rather see another speed/coverage guy like Dax back there.  

3.  TE - Normally I don't clamor for a tight end, but the reality is that teams aren't going to move away from taking away the deep stuff.  We need a guy that can punish teams over the middle and make some big plays up the seam.

4.  IOL.  Still not sold on the guys.  It would be nice to have a Pro-Bowl caliber guy somewhere in the middle.

Obviously things will change with the roster, but those are the issues that I seem to scratch my head about every week.

RT and/or WR, to me at least, become higher on the list than safety and even IOL if Williams and/or Higgins leave.
There also will be potentially a need for NT if Reader departs.

If all those spots get covered in FA (properly, not just a middling stopgap), I'm definitely down for at least 3 of the 4 positions you mentioned.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It really could be a lot of needs. I think we use a tag on somebody, franchise, transition, something. Losing Jonah, Reader, Higgins, Boyd, Awuzie plus all your TEs, LB depth, and OL depth is a lot.

We will have potential solution at every spot before going into the draft though. Could be a big roster churn coming up.
We need to start sniping some of the good veterans looking for a ring playing for a discount.

So now that JB has that massive contract it really puts even more emphasis on hitting on your draft picks...which they have not been great at lately especially in the trenches. I hope they poach a scout from Browns or Eagles.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 11:38 AM)kalibengal Wrote: So now that JB has that massive contract it really puts even more emphasis on hitting on your draft picks...which they have not been great at lately especially in the trenches. I hope they poach a scout from Browns or Eagles.

For sure.

They really have only hit on the following guys:
- Joe Burrow (1st rd)
- Tee Higgins (2nd)
- Germaine Pratt (3rd)
- Logan Wilson (3rd)
- Evan McPherson (5th)

Dax Hill (1st), CTB (2nd), and Turner (2nd) look to be on track to be good picks too, but none of them have been a starter for even a full season season yet, so I'm a bit hesitant to fully say "hit" quite yet at this moment.
I might argue Jonah Williams had also been somewhat of a hit, but not necessarily lived up to his draft position. 

Notice I did not put Hubbard and Boyd in the list of hits because they were drafted before Taylor came in. But if you want to expand beyond Taylor, those guys would be too.

One thing to notice of all the guys mentioned? How many of the hits have been Day 3 picks on offense/defense that have blossomed into solid-or-better starters?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tier 1 needs

RT- Jonah is a free agent

WR #2- Tee will be tagged or tagged and traded

IOL- Volson is bad

NT- Reader is a free agent

Tier 2 needs

3T- some more juice from the position would be nice BJ Hill is fine but we need more.
Free agent target- Maurice Hurst CLE, Trade Target Osa Odighizuwa Dal, Early Rd Draft Jerzarh Newton Illinois , Mid Rd Brandon Dorlus Oregon

Safety- I think Hill will take over Hiltons place in the secondary. So the Bengals will need a deep Safety next season if that's the case.

RB- Mixon has been inconsistent this season.
Tier 3

TE-could argue higher but I feel the Bengals will resign two of the 4 TEs on the roster. Plus an additional free agent.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
As far as needs go...

TE has to be #1. I mean, fans are wanting a 28 year old journeyman PS guy to see more PT, not to mention expiring contracts.

RT-Could always be plugged by resigning Jonah.

NT-Could be plugged by resigning Reader.

RB-Serious production and depth concerns.

LG-Volson is trash, but there's a glimmer of hope still that he develops.

WR-Need to get more athletic, here. A lot of different directions this could go, though, and I'm assuming Tee gets tagged. Could be a lot higher if he doesn't.

S-I think Battle will become the starter by next year, but I don't know if you can pass up a value.

Simply because of learning curve, I think TE, RT, NT, and LG would be prime positions to target FA's, as well as the fact that these aren't "premium" positions that usually net massive contracts.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 07:40 PM)Synric Wrote: DJ Reader and Josh Tupou are both free agents. Even if you bring back one a nose tackle will still be needed...evidenced by Sunday lol.

While I certainly agree that NT needs to be double addressed, I don't feel like NT has to be prioritized at the top of the draft in order to find a good one.  I would try real hard to sign DJ Reader to a 1-2 year deal and allow Tupou to walk.  Tupou is in his 6th season and is still showing no signs of being able to be 'the man' at NT.  Draft a really good NT in the 3rd or 4th round and keep an extra on the PS in case of emergency.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: As far as needs go...

TE has to be #1.  I mean, fans are wanting a 28 year old journeyman PS guy to see more PT, not to mention expiring contracts.

RT-Could always be plugged by resigning Jonah.

NT-Could be plugged by resigning Reader.

RB-Serious production and depth concerns.

LG-Volson is trash, but there's a glimmer of hope still that he develops.

WR-Need to get more athletic, here.  A lot of different directions this could go, though, and I'm assuming Tee gets tagged. Could be a lot higher if he doesn't.

S-I think Battle will become the starter by next year, but I don't know if you can pass up a value.

Simply because of learning curve, I think TE, RT, NT, and LG would be prime positions to target FA's, as well as the fact that these aren't "premium" positions that usually net massive contracts.

I would think 1, if not 2, of these 3 guys will get re-signed/tagged.
I doubt all 3 would, as you'd be likely talking $40+ mill in cap to retain them all.
Any tag at one of OT, WR, and DT will be $18+ mill, if not $20+.
Bengals wouldn't have much left to operate with in FA if they retained all 3 guys.

With that said, it would REALLY open up the draft and allow the Bengals to focus on TE, IOL, DT, and RB in the first 4 rounds (not necessarily in that order).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Potential starter losses: Jonah, Tee, DJ, Tyler, Chibobe
I'd hate to lose DJ especially. Good interior linemen can play into their late 30s. Re-signing DJ is the highest priority.
Priority draft NT, RT - I don't see anyone under contract at these positions right now. (Fuaga, T'Vondre Sweat) NT doesn't have to be a high draft pick so long as he's an immovable object.
WR? We could survive with Chase, Irwin, Iosivas, and Jones, especially if we starting using the TE. I'd like a veteran FA leader in this group.
DB? Again we have a good young group here. Depth at CB needed. (Cooper DeJean would be a versatile asset back here)
TE? Maybe there will be enough ball to go around next year for a premier TE. Sample & Hudson provide enough to add a later pick. (Spann-Ford in the 4th?)
DE? Hendrickson & Hubbard are under contract through 2025. Murphy is developing. No room for a developing pick.
DT? BJ Hill under contract. I'd like to see a disruptor here. (Jer'Zhan Newton, Tyliek Williams)
IOL? We're meh! all the way across. I'd like to build this unit into a strength starting in Round 2.
RB? Like TE, I'd like a game-breaker at this spot if I thought the coaches knew how to use this position. They don't.

Summary: RT, disruptive DT, NT, IOL, BPA DB/TE/RB
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think we've all seen enough to know what the big needs are for next year's draft/free agency.

1. Interior Pass Rush - We've been missing this since Geno retired. We got a glimpse with Larry O, but we absolutely must have a guy that can knife through the line and create pressure up the middle.

2. Safety - I'll hedge this a little, saying that maybe Battle can be the guy to step in and secure this spot. I would much rather see another speed/coverage guy like Dax back there.

3. TE - Normally I don't clamor for a tight end, but the reality is that teams aren't going to move away from taking away the deep stuff. We need a guy that can punish teams over the middle and make some big plays up the seam.

4. IOL. Still not sold on the guys. It would be nice to have a Pro-Bowl caliber guy somewhere in the middle.

IDL was the biggest need going into the off-season and they did nothing to address it(although they tried to be fair)
(11-13-2023, 08:07 PM)Goalpost Wrote: RB is a need.
We don’t utilize rb… sure grab a speed rb late, but no point in a high pick imo
(11-14-2023, 12:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Tier 1 needs

RT- Jonah is a free agent

WR #2- Tee will be tagged or tagged and traded

IOL- Volson is bad

NT- Reader is a free agent

Tier 2 needs

3T- some more juice from the position would be nice BJ Hill is fine but we need more.
Free agent target- Maurice Hurst CLE, Trade Target Osa Odighizuwa Dal, Early Rd Draft Jerzarh Newton Illinois , Mid Rd Brandon Dorlus Oregon

Safety- I think Hill will take over Hiltons place in the secondary. So the Bengals will need a deep Safety next season if that's the case.

RB- Mixon has been inconsistent this season.
Tier 3

TE-could argue higher but I feel the Bengals will resign two of the 4 TEs on the roster. Plus an additional free agent.
Tier 1 is a penetrating 3-tech and number 1 need. Tee is gonna be here long term. And I sure why everyone wants to put hill in the nickel. He’s gonna be our safety for next 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It really could be a lot of needs. I think we use a tag on somebody, franchise, transition, something. Losing Jonah, Reader, Higgins, Boyd, Awuzie plus all your TEs, LB depth, and OL depth is a lot.

I think Tee gets tagged. I believe Jonah is moving on. Unless the team is willing to give him an insane deal, I imagine he's going to see if anyone will offer him the LT spot or pay him like McGlinchey.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 01:39 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think Tee gets tagged. I believe Jonah is moving on. Unless the team is willing to give him an insane deal, I imagine he's going to see if anyone will offer him the LT spot or pay him like McGlinchey.

Between a 23m tag for Tee and a possible DJ Reader 16 or 17m a year contract I don't see alot of room for Jonah especially if they want to possibly add veterans to the TE, RB, DL, or CB rooms. They will also have to resign their linebacker depth with a slight raise.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 05:03 AM)Synric Wrote: Between a 23m tag for Tee and a possible DJ Reader 16 or 17m a year contract I don't see alot of room for Jonah especially if they want to possibly add veterans to the TE, RB, DL, or CB rooms. They will also have to resign their linebacker depth with a slight raise.

I would be good if they signed DJ to the numbers you proposed and then sign Jonah around the same or a tad higher, then Tag Tee and trade him for a 1st or 2nd. I see the Bengals low balling Tee even more after this injury filled year and Tee's agent telling them to stick it.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 02:26 PM)Tomcat Wrote: I would be good if they signed DJ to the numbers you proposed and then sign Jonah around the same or a tad higher, then Tag Tee and trade him for a 1st or 2nd. I see the Bengals low balling Tee even more after this injury filled year and Tee's agent telling them to stick it.

They won't be able to fit Tee's tag, Reader, and Williams comtract under the cap. Even if you are tagging and trading Tee he has to be under tha cap and the tag comes first because of the deadline.

They also have to negotiate with Chase this off-season preferably before Jefferson resets the market would be nice to see the Bengals beat the Vikings to it.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: They won't be able to fit Tee's tag, Reader, and Williams comtract under the cap. Even if you are tagging and trading Tee he has to be under tha cap and the tag comes first because of the deadline.

They also have to negotiate with Chase this off-season preferably before Jefferson resets the market would be nice to see the Bengals beat the Vikings to it.

Why can't you tag him knowing you're going to trade him?
Reply/Quote