Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Round 2 DT Question
If Simmons and Lawrence are both there, and we don’t take Ed Oliver in the 1st, which would you take? Neither? I get it depends on board.

Main question is would you take either in the 2nd? Both have issues and both a great players...

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Too many variables to consider, with how you have the question stated. Variables like; Who did we select in the 1st round? Who else is available in the 2nd round? Is something wrong with either of these guys that they are both there on day 2?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 12:08 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: If Simmons and Lawrence are both there, and we don’t take Ed Oliver in the 1st, which would you take? Neither? I get it depends on board.

Main question is would you take either in the 2nd? Both have issues and both a great players...

Thoughts?

If we are able to meet one of the major needs with our first pick(ie- LB, OT), I think they'll go BPA regardless of position in the 2nd. 

But to answer your question, absolutely I'd pick either of those guys in the 2nd with a preference to Simmons.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 12:08 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: If Simmons and Lawrence are both there, and we don’t take Ed Oliver in the 1st, which would you take? Neither? I get it depends on board.

Thoughts?

Between the two, I would say Lawrence.

Simmons will basically be out this year with his torn ACL.  Then, most DL need another year to fully recover, which he will be trying to do while adjusting to the NFL game.  This puts these kinds of cases so far behind that it's hard for them to catch up.  Sidney Jones is a similar case, and he's done nothing so far in the NFL.  Lawrence you can get into your system and your training program immediately.  

The other issue is that there's a very brutal video out there of Simmons beating a woman.  I was in support of us rolling the dice on Mixon, but adding another player with similar issues on video is asking for trouble.  At the very least, it will be a PR nightmare and a team distraction as news outlets drag up Joe's issues alongside Simmons.  
Reply/Quote
Just looking at the players it would be Jeffrey Simmons. Dexter Lawrence's technique is better but he doesnt have the explosion of Simmons. It's crazy because on a line with the athletic freak Montez Sweat, Simmons is usually faster out of his stance and into the olineman face.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If Tillery were there in the second (unlikely, I know), I'd run to the podium.

Otherwise, nobody.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
That's easy. Simmons. Top 5 talent prior to the injury. I think someone grabs him late first, but if he's there, he's a no-brainer.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 12:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If Tillery were there in the second (unlikely, I know), I'd run to the podium.

Otherwise, nobody.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's there in the first part of the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
Simmons, but honestly I’d take either in the 2nd it would be great value.
Reply/Quote
I have Simmons and Lawrence both ranked highly, but there are two factors to consider. 1st is that Simmons probably won't play his rookie year due to injury so ur banking on him coming back healthy. 2nd is Lawrence is a 1 tech or Nose while Simmons can play either 1 tech or 3 tech.

Personally, I would take Lawrence because I think he could be truly something special at NT and allow us to play 4-3, 4-2-5, or 3-4. Hybrid packages seem to be the future of defenses in the NFL

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like both but I would take simmons and not think twice about it. He is a true game changing wrecking machine.
Reply/Quote
I run the card up for Simmons, though both will be gone and I do like Okeana's usage of Lawrence.

More likely, consider how this class has depth at DT, Lack of B grade LBs, and their need at OT.  I think the sweet spot if BPAs are at similar positions is DT in the 3rd.  In other years a guy like Dre'mont Jones or Renell Wren are 2nd rounders, but this year you can get one in the 3rd.

This isn't what I want, but though the QB variable has me puzzled, my money is on....

They take White 1A or Bush 1B at LB, knowing worst case you'll have one of Little or Howard at T in the 2nd and the DT scenario in the 3rd.  
Reply/Quote
I would go Simmons think he has way more upside, he would have been a top 10 pick if he didn't get injured. This will probably be a red shirt season for him but i would take the chance. I don't value the run stuffing NT position high enough to take Lawrence in round 2. I also start to worry about work ethic and constant weight issues when D-line men weight 350. Lawrence also failed a drug test in college for performance-enhancing drugs which is also a concern for me. Simmons had some off the filed issues in high school.
Reply/Quote
Simmons but he is going to go in the top 15.
The ACL injury really isn't that big of a concern he probably will be back by November. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick at 11.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

Lawrence, and it isn't even close.  He can contribute game 1.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: I have Simmons and Lawrence both ranked highly, but there are two factors to consider.  1st is that Simmons probably won't play his rookie year due to injury so ur banking on him coming back healthy.  2nd is Lawrence is a 1 tech or Nose while Simmons can play either 1 tech or 3 tech.  

Personally, I would take Lawrence because I think he could be truly something special at NT and allow us to play 4-3, 4-2-5, or 3-4.  Hybrid packages seem to be the future of defenses in the NFL

This
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

Billings is fine in a 2-down role at NT. The Bengals need a nickel DT that can rush the passer and back up Geno. So Simmons over Lawrence.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
DT could be a possibility, if he's BPA at our selection.

They did just cut Adolphus Washington, yesterday.

https://nfltraderumors.co/bengals-waive-dt-adolphus-washington/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: I have Simmons and Lawrence both ranked highly, but there are two factors to consider.  1st is that Simmons probably won't play his rookie year due to injury so ur banking on him coming back healthy.  2nd is Lawrence is a 1 tech or Nose while Simmons can play either 1 tech or 3 tech.  

Personally, I would take Lawrence because I think he could be truly something special at NT and allow us to play 4-3, 4-2-5, or 3-4.  Hybrid packages seem to be the future of defenses in the NFL

I so agree,Dexter Lawrence is going to be a force and I hope he plays in the Nati next to Geno. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
A top DT in this year's draft would be a luxury pick. This team has too many fundamental needs at OL and LB to go high on DT. We have Geno Atkins, Billings who started coming into his own last season, Glassgow coming back from his injury, not to mention Christian Ringo who showed some damn good promise.

The team chose to not spend big on either OL or LB in free agency. I can't imagine that they feel complete with just Cordy Glenn and Bobby Hart at the Tackle position. Re-signing Preston Brown was a smart move, but there's still a gaping hole where Burfict used to reside.

I think the Bengals can manage with what they have at DT, OL and LB are the fundamental needs that literally, need to be addressed with priority draft picks.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote