Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Picks As Leverage
Anyone ever think when a new Coordinator is brought on like Austin, we or teams in general sweeten the pot by letting them pick who they want with the teams first pick? With all the help we need on the Oline I would not be shocked at all to see a Defensive player picked first. If I had the time it would be worth looking at past drafts to see who teams that just hired a O/D picked compared to team needs. I know the results will be skewed for reasons BPA or just by the fact if they just hired a Coordinator it's because they played poorly or lack talent on that side. But then some have to hire to replace coaches that left because they did so well. I dunno just curious.
Reply/Quote
A coordinator will not go to a team unless he feels thay will give him a chance to succeed, but I don't think any team lets one new coach decide their first round pick.

Some head coaches demand control over who gets drafted, but a coordinator is not going to get that.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Anyone ever think when a new Coordinator is brought on like Austin, we or teams in general sweeten the pot by letting them pick who they want with the teams first pick? With all the help we need on the Oline I would not be shocked at all to see a Defensive player picked first. If I had the time it would be worth looking at past drafts to see who teams that just hired a O/D picked compared to team needs. I know the results will be skewed for reasons BPA or just by the fact if they just hired a Coordinator it's because they played poorly or lack talent on that side. But then some have to hire to replace coaches that left because they did so well. I dunno just curious.

Better get some O-lineman in FA if we do go anywhere else with the first pick, this is all i know.

Jay got AJ and Andy with his two first picks as OC. Worked out well there i must say.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Better get some O-lineman in FA if we do go anywhere else with the first pick, this is all i know.

If we can't get a LT at #12 then I have no problem with getting OG, C, or RT in the second/third rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we can't get a LT at #12 then I have no problem with getting OG, C, or RT in the second/third rounds.

If we are to believe that Hobson has a better sense of what the Bengals might do than we do, it sounds like OL isn't likely in Round 1.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-overhauls/ebd1c215-f7e4-4ee2-956c-bd273242ed9a
Quote:No question they’ll use a raft of picks on the offensive line. Probably not at No. 12. From what I’m hearing early on that’s a deep position in rounds two to four and with an extra third you could easily see them coming out of the first two days with possibly two O-linemen.  I think the Bengals are going to go through due diligence in free agency and look for line upgrades, but I also don’t see them straying far from their philosophy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If we are to believe that Hobson has a better sense of what the Bengals might do than we do, it sounds like OL isn't likely in Round 1.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-overhauls/ebd1c215-f7e4-4ee2-956c-bd273242ed9a

I hope he's wrong. I want Nelson (G) in the first and Price © in the second if possible. I think if we draft those two guys we would have a dominant run game....

I don't think coordinators have too much control over who we pick. I think they are definitely in the ears of people who do, but I don't think they have the final say.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I hope he's wrong. I want Nelson (G) in the first and Price © in the second if possible. I think if we draft those two guys we would have a dominant run game....

I don't think coordinators have too much control over who we pick. I think they are definitely in the ears of people who do, but I don't think they have the final say.

I too would prefer OL in the first round.
I worry that if the Bengals wait until the third round or later especially for OT, they will roll out with Ogbuehi again as the starter because they didn't give enough competition, which IMO should not happen.
Although perhaps I'm not giving Pollack a chance to have his influence on coaching.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Anyone ever think when a new Coordinator is brought on like Austin, we or teams in general sweeten the pot by letting them pick who they want with the teams first pick?

No. I think, like any other coach under Merv, Austin will get his opinion heard in how the Bengals draft board will be set up and he'll get to have his say on who should be drafted. But, I don't think they're going to be like Mike Brown taking Merv to Wendy's and say "Whatever you want, it's yours" with the 1st pick in the draft.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we can't get a LT at #12 then I have no problem with getting OG, C, or RT in the second/third rounds.

If we don't get a Lineman in FA...

Quentin Nelson G Notre Dame is who i want if McGlinchey and Connor Williams are gone in the 1st.

Ragnow, Price or James Daniels the top Centers or of course Isaiah Wynn the versatile guy who does it all in the 2nd.

Thats the thing, to take a Defensive player like Roquan Smith, Christian Wilkins or Derwyn at 12 we would need to grab an OL in FA...

But this is just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If we are to believe that Hobson has a better sense of what the Bengals might do than we do, it sounds like OL isn't likely in Round 1.

Another Impact LB would be pretty awesome if theres one sitting there at 12... LB has been the weak spot on D outside of Burfict and his availability is always 1 questionable call away. 

Without Him the D is lost. or has been so someone that can help co-captin the D like he does would be a huge boost... Unless we find that guy in FA

I think id rather get a vet for the OL personally but Pollak might have some ideas there
Reply/Quote

Oh my that's a hoot. 2 losing seasons in a row, 0-4 against the steelers, and they are not going to stray to far from their philosophy!!!??? What is this philosophy anyway? Make sure mike and Katy get a 20 million dollar bonus every year????
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 06:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we don't get a Lineman in FA...

Quentin Nelson G Notre Dame is who i want if McGlinchey and Connor Williams are gone in the 1st.

Ragnow, Price or James Daniels the top Centers or of course Isaiah Wynn the versatile guy who does it all in the 2nd.

Thats the thing, to take a Defensive player like Roquan Smith, Christian Wilkins or Derwyn at 12 we would need to grab an OL in FA...

But this is just my opinion.

Hoping we do dip into the FA pool for a OL in offseason yet still draft another with one of the first 3 picks. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We have got to get a T and C in the first 3 rounds. Might be easier finding a G in FA. Not many teams willing to let quality T's or C's go. But then again Brown doesn't seem to value the G position to pay up for a FA so who knows. I would still get 2 Olineman along with a FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 07:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hoping we do dip into the FA pool for a OL in offseason yet still draft another with one of the first 3 picks. 

Same, need to give Pollack some talent to work with and a proven FA would really help more than a rookie immediately.

(01-18-2018, 10:08 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We have got to get a T and C in the first 3 rounds. Might be easier finding a G in FA. Not many teams willing to let quality T's or C's go. But then again Brown doesn't seem to value the G position to pay up for a FA so who knows. I would still get 2 Olineman along with a FA.

Mikey Boy better start valuing Guard and Center. The QB has no chance if there is never a pocket to step into.
Reply/Quote