Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Picks that had potential that never panned out
Ok. All this draft stuff and historical stuff has me thinking about guys that had a ton of promise that never panned out. I'm sure we could name a bunch.

Dennis Weathersby in the Palmer Draft. Was a projected 1st Round pick. He got shot and fell in the draft to the 4th Round. I don't think he ever played for us.

Charles Fisher - 2nd Round CB from WVU in the 1999 draft. If I remember correctly, he blew out his knee in his 1st game of his career against the Titans. I remember he fell down and couldn't get back up. I don't recall him ever playing for us again.

I could name a bunch but I'll start with those 2 to give you all chances. It's a long summer.
Reply/Quote
Kijana Carter?
Reply/Quote
Kenny Irons
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 07:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ok. All this draft stuff and historical stuff has me thinking about guys that had a ton of promise that never panned out. I'm sure we could name a bunch.

Dennis Weathersby in the Palmer Draft. Was a projected 1st Round pick. He got shot and fell in the draft to the 4th Round. I don't think he ever played for us.

Charles Fisher - 2nd Round CB from WVU in the 1999 draft. If I remember correctly, he blew out his knee in his 1st game of his career against the Titans. I remember he fell down and couldn't get back up. I don't recall him ever playing for us again.

I could name a bunch but I'll start with those 2 to give you all chances. It's a long summer.

Fisher tore all three ligaments in the same knee. He never played a down again, for us or anyone.

Reply/Quote
Ickey Woods - while he had a great rookie season, he injured his knee and pretty much it was over.

Greg Cook would probably be at the top of the list though.

Reply/Quote
Chris Henry.
talk about a big play WR.
and was a nightmare for the Steelers secondary.
Reply/Quote
All those 6th and 7th round WR's that were supposed to be superstars? Mellow

In seriousness though:

Dontay Moch - athletic freak that had chronic migraines
Jordan Shipley - flashed as a rookie, then an injury seemed to ruin his career
Chase Coffman - set some NCAA TE receiving records IIRC, never panned out
Jason Shirley - preseason darling
Stacy Andrews - much ado about nothing
Lamont Thompson - I personally had high hopes for this guy to be a ball hawking safety
Sean Brewer - just kidding
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Odell Thurman.

I also have to agree with Shake on Jordan Shipley.

Would Ahmad Brooks fit into this category?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:50 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All those 6th and 7th round WR's that were supposed to be superstars?  Mellow

In seriousness though:

Dontay Moch - athletic freak that had chronic migraines
Jordan Shipley - flashed as a rookie, then an injury seemed to ruin his career
Chase Coffman - set some NCAA TE receiving records IIRC, never panned out
Jason Shirley - preseason darling
Stacy Andrews - much ado about nothing
Lamont Thompson - I personally had high hopes for this guy to be a ball hawking safety
Sean Brewer - just kidding
Lamont Thompson was a weird one. Dude was cut after one season for no apparent reason. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Technically any draft pick that failed to produce fits this category but I'll throw out 2nd rounder Devon Still

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
David Pollack and Odell Thurman in the same draft.  If those guys made it, I think we'd be looking back at that draft rather fondly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I remember thinking Robert Sands looked like a beastly m f'r coming out of college. Was hoping he would be that hard-hitting authority in the secondary we badly needed. He was going to be the predator lol. Except not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:54 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Lamont Thompson was a weird one. Dude was cut after one season for no apparent reason. 

That is a puzzling one.

How about Kelley Washington at WR? Had all the physical potential in the world.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:50 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Stacy Andrews - much ado about nothing

Andrews was a 4th round pick who never really played college football.  Yet he stuck in the NFL 8 years and started games for four different teams.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That is a puzzling one.

How about Kelley Washington at WR? Had all the physical potential in the world.

I had his #87 jersey. wore it proudly.
he had a,promising rookie season.
I though he had really good size and radius.
he wasnt a burner but he seem to make clutch plays.
then Marvin just buried him. 
he always did well vs the.AFC North. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:46 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Kijana Carter?

To me it is not even close.

Carter was one of the best college RBs I have ever seen.  At Penn State averaged 7.8 per carry his senior year (with 1500+ yds and 23 tds) and 7.2 for his career.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone remember when we had Spikes, Simmons, Foley, and I think Adrian Ross and Spearman as our LB's?

That seemed like a lot of talent.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Does anyone remember when we had Spikes, Simmons, Foley, and I think Adrian Ross and Spearman as our LB's?

That seemed like a lot of talent.

too bad our offense hsd Smith Mitchell Kitna 
Reply/Quote
First player i thought of was David Pollack, that sucked.

Kenny Irons was a player at Auburn, very talented and never played a snap for us in the regular season after getting injury on that shitty Detroit turf.
Reply/Quote
every draft pick that didn't make it 2 years in the nfl
Reply/Quote