Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Picks that had potential that never panned out
Peter Warrick - phenomenal college career but sucked as a pro.
Akili Smith - one magical college season
Ced Ogbuehi - simply couldn't play in the NFL
PJ Dawson - highly rated but ????
Jeremy Hill - good rookie season, then fell flat
Eifert - injuries have limited his potential
Gresham, Maualuga, Rivers, Simpson, Chris Perry, Madieu Williams, Kiewan Ratliff ... all these guys were highly thought of at one point. Depressing.
Reply/Quote
PJ Dawson was another wildly hyped player that rarely saw the field. We've had a bunch of those guys over the years.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 02:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: PJ Dawson was another wildly hyped player that rarely saw the field. We've had a bunch of those guys over the years.

Looked great on the field at TCU, just was terrible in practice i guess...

Still makes me wonder about coaching.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:54 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Lamont Thompson was a weird one. Dude was cut after one season for no apparent reason. 

I think he might have been the first player in Marvin's dog house.

(05-30-2019, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andrews was a 4th round pick who never really played college football.  Yet he stuck in the NFL 8 years and started games for four different teams.  

I mentioned Andrews because there was a ton of hype around the guy, we even franchised him and he never became a good player. Lets be honest.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:56 PM)shanebo Wrote: Peter Warrick - phenomenal college career but sucked as a pro.
Akili Smith - one magical college season
Ced Ogbuehi - simply couldn't play in the NFL
PJ Dawson - highly rated but ????
Jeremy Hill - good rookie season, then fell flat
Eifert - injuries have limited his potential
Gresham, Maualuga, Rivers, Simpson, Chris Perry, Madieu Williams, Kiewan Ratliff ... all these guys were highly thought of at one point.  Depressing.

Remember the Rivers "Chuck Norris" thread? People hyped that guy so much and his most memorable moment was getting his jaw broke.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 05:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Remember the Rivers "Chuck Norris" thread? People hyped that guy so much and his most memorable moment was getting his jaw broke.

he was never the same after that broken jaw.  he was showing signs of being a star before that.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 11:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ickey Woods - while he had a great rookie season, he injured his knee and pretty much it was over.

Greg Cook would probably be at the top of the list though.
Greg Cook was HOF good.  Ickey got done in by a Steeler.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'll add in Tab Perry.

It seemed like he was on his way to becoming a return ace when he got bitten by the same hip injury that did in Bo Jackson...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals had Alfred Williams and James Francis on the outside with both coming up for a contract. The Bengals drafted Steve Shine in the 3rd round, who, according to a Northwestern alum friend of mine, "Dude! This guy is the rare athlete that runs fast AND plays fast. If we weren't 1-30 the last three seasons, he would have been a 1st rounder, no doubt." I was intrigued.

Shredded, and I mean shredded, his hamstring in his first OTA workout after the draft and never stepped on the field again.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:35 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I remember thinking Robert Sands looked like a beastly m f'r coming out of college. Was hoping he would be that hard-hitting authority in the secondary we badly needed. He was going to be the predator lol. Except not.

Yeah, I was big on the Sandman when we drafted him. He just never showed the same confidence here that he did at WVa. 

Paul Dawson has to rank up there among the biggest busts, too. Marvin never had luck drafting LBs. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:35 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I remember thinking Robert Sands looked like a beastly m f'r coming out of college. Was hoping he would be that hard-hitting authority in the secondary we badly needed. He was going to be the predator lol. Except not.

Yeah, I was big on the Sandman when we drafted him. He just never showed the same confidence here that he did at WVa. 

Paul Dawson has to rank up there among the biggest busts, too. Marvin never had luck drafting LBs. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Definitely. Rivers was really good prior Ward's cheapshot.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 05:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Remember the Rivers "Chuck Norris" thread? People hyped that guy so much and his most memorable moment was getting his jaw broke.

(05-30-2019, 05:46 PM)pally Wrote: he was never the same after that broken jaw.  he was showing signs of being a star before that.  

Rivers never lived up to his top ten draft hype, but he was not a bad player.  He made tackles, He didn't get washed out, he just did not make any impact plays.

The defense of Rivers was often "WOLB don't make a lot of big plays in a 4-3 scheme", and that went out the window when we signed Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it is not close

Bill Walsh may disagree
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dennis Weathersby - career was doomed from the start.
Kenny Irons - tore his ACL on his 4th carry. Waived the next season. Why? Who knows!
Jordan Shipley - knee injury and surgery killed his career. Really liked him.
Chase Coffman - A receiving TE they wanted to turn into a blocking TE. Shame. Waste of talent.
Odell Thurman - Drinking kept him out of the league. Goodell made an example of him.
David Pollack - Bad. Luck.
Chris Henry - Saddest of them all.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bill Walsh may disagree

And he may be correct.  I never saw Cook play so I often forget about him.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 08:44 PM)McC Wrote: Greg Cook was HOF good.  Ickey got done in by a Steeler.  

Yep and his career lasted only 12 games.

Reply/Quote
James Wright looked like an absolute steal and a first rounder that the Bengals took in the 7th round.... and then wicked bad injury.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'll add in Tab Perry.

It seemed like he was on his way to becoming a return ace when he got bitten by the same hip injury that did in Bo Jackson...

How about Pro Bowl return man Tremain Mack? He only had one good season, IIRC.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'll add in Tab Perry.

He even managed to come back from the hip and blew out his Achilles.  I believe he was a Dolphin at the time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote