Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Reduex
What 1 or 2 players would you swap out of this class to make it your ideal draft?

Mine looks like this:

1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Graham Glasgow
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Scooby Wright iii
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
For what my opinion is worth, I agree with you on the last pick. That late in the draft I think a good strategy is to choose someone with either exceptional/ridiculous measurables or production. A combination of the two is preferred of course, but those guys likely aren't going to be around that late in the draft. Wright's production numbers, from a major conference no less, are insane. And his measurables are actually better than two of the linebackers on the Bengals roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:39 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: What 1 or 2 players would you swap out of this class to make it your ideal draft?

Mine looks like this:

1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Graham Glasgow
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Scooby Wright iii

How dare you draft another center and take Paul Alexanders judgement into question!!!! Ninja

Pretty much this is how id do it though. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt swap anybody out until Ive seen them on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: I wouldnt swap anybody out until Ive seen them on the field.

Same here, I trust the Bengals judgement on Vigil, plus the kid is funny and at very least will be a good ST player which is what our immediate need is at the LB spot. 

As for the last pick, it's not like the guy we got was not productive at Illinois. He had tons of tackles and will also be a good ST for us. I do understand the desire to go with a higher ceiling guy like wright, but we already drafted a LB and I'm sure they picked a guy they had rated near the top of their board. I think Fej has a better shot at making the roster at safety than Wright at LB this season. 

I trust that the bengals did more scouting of the players than anyone here did, and if the last half decade has taught us anything it's that the Bengals pretty much stick to their board. No need to reach for a lesser ranked player. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: I wouldnt swap anybody out until Ive seen them on the field.

I agree as well.   

And I certainly wouldn't draft some mid round center again.    IF we make a move at Center then I want the top player early round. 
Reply/Quote
Initially shocked at the Vigil pick but since we landed Billings in the 4th then I don't have anyone to want to swap Vigil out for so I would keep that one. Only two would be swapping Cody Core for Garrett from Tulsa and Jeremy Cash for Fejedulum. But those are 6th and 7th round picks so not a big deal. Great day for the Bengals because usually I could make 4 or 5 different choices even though we still had good drafts but this is just really solid from top to bottom.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:39 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: What 1 or 2 players would you swap out of this class to make it your ideal draft?

Mine looks like this:

1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Graham Glasgow
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Scooby Wright iii

first i would go slap zimmer for taking all the WRs i wanted.
Reply/Quote
1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Joe Schobert
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Clayton Fejedelem

Although to be honest I would have taken Billings in the 3rd, and if I'd done that I would have taken Matt Judon in the 4th.

I have no idea how Vigil will turn out - and obviously I'd rather be wrong and he be the beast the Bengals think he is.  But I like Schobert better.  Not as fast and probably won't cover as well.  But he sheds and tackles REALLY well on film and is a really good blitzer.   I just think he'll be a better overall backer than Vigil.

Hope I'm wrong

And overall I'm totally thrilled by this draft
Reply/Quote

Mine looks like this:

1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Graham Glasgow
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Scooby Wright iii
We need to finally cover tight ends that's why I like the Vigil pick.  Looks like there are some real reservations about Glasgow, especially character issues.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/graham-glasgow?id=2555182
(05-02-2016, 01:10 PM)3wt Wrote: 1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Joe Schobert
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Clayton Fejedelem

Although to be honest I would have taken Billings in the 3rd, and if I'd done that I would have taken Matt Judon in the 4th.

I have no idea how Vigil will turn out - and obviously I'd rather be wrong and he be the beast the Bengals think he is.  But I like Schobert better.  Not as fast and probably won't cover as well.  But he sheds and tackles REALLY well on film and is a really good blitzer.   I just think he'll be a better overall backer than Vigil.

Hope I'm wrong

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/joe-schobert?id=2555166  Schobert

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/nick-vigil?id=2555528   Vigil

Vigil is about the same size as Schobert and had a much more productive career especially in his senior year where he was the only person in college to have a least 9 tackles in every game.  Albeit, this did not come against Big 10 competition, but in the Big 10 you also have a stronger supporting cast.  The profile also noted that one of Vigil's strengths is pass coverage.  We really need that in today's tight end focused NFL.

In draft profile there was questions about Vigil's strength and I didn't see anything about lifting he did at the combine, but he did have combine bests for the 3 cone drill at 6.73 seconds (Schobert 7.11) and for the 20 yard scuttle at 4.00 seconds (Schobert 4.3)  He also had a better long jump than Schobert 115 to 111.  Schobert did have a better vertical 33.5 to 31.5.

Like you, very thrilled with the draft, though I may be more optimistic about Vigil than a lot of people seem to be.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals put a high value on instincts and tackling production in college. Those two traits are Vigil's best traits. The Bengals also realized that they need some better pass coverage and Vigil provides that too over LBs like Scooby Wright. He will be groomed for a year and then replace Dansby in 2017 as a bigger contributor.

I thought the Vigil pick was a round or two early, but when the Bengals snag Billings and Westerman in rounds 4 and 5, it all balances out.

There's an identical thread topic created in the NFL Draft forum by Stormborn btw, so perhaps we need a merge.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd trade our 2nd round pick at 55 and our third round pick at 87 to move up 10 spots or so and draft Michael Thomas (because I still don't understand the Vigil pick, so I don't think we need it, and I think the difference between Boyd and Thomas would make it worth trading Vigil).
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:48 PM)tlotharw Wrote: We need to finally cover tight ends that's why I like the Vigil pick.  Looks like there are some real reservations about Glasgow, especially character issues.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/graham-glasgow?id=2555182

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/joe-schobert?id=2555166  Schobert

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/nick-vigil?id=2555528   Vigil

Vigil is about the same size as Schobert and had a much more productive career especially in his senior year where he was the only person in college to have a least 9 tackles in every game.  Albeit, this did not come against Big 10 competition, but in the Big 10 you also have a stronger supporting cast.  The profile also noted that one of Vigil's strengths is pass coverage.  We really need that in today's tight end focused NFL.

In draft profile there was questions about Vigil's strength and I didn't see anything about lifting he did at the combine, but he did have combine bests for the 3 cone drill at 6.73 seconds (Schobert 7.11) and for the 20 yard scuttle at 4.00 seconds (Schobert 4.3)  He also had a better long jump than Schobert 115 to 111.  Schobert did have a better vertical 33.5 to 31.5.

Like you, very thrilled with the draft, though I may be more optimistic about Vigil than a lot of people seem to be.

His coverage abilities and the ability to be on the field 3 downs are definite pluses.  I only saw a couple of clips on Vigil and they involved him whiffing straight up the middle on several downs in the same game.   Schobert seemed VERY solid in shedding and tackling.   And a 4.3 is a very nice short shuttle time.

Bottom line is there is a lot to be excited about with Vigil, and his coverage abilities are big factors.   I just hope he tackles a lot better than the small sample I saw.  Very interested to see what he can do.  With Burfict out the first 3 games I'm thinking he'll get a bigger than normal slice of 1st team reps in pre season to see what we've got.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd trade our 2nd round pick at 55 and our third round pick at 87 to move up 10 spots or so and draft Michael Thomas (because I still don't understand the Vigil pick, so I don't think we need it, and I think the difference between Boyd and Thomas would make it worth trading Vigil).

Stop tying to make Michael Thomas happen.
[Image: 6358452876343859271386019281_4181315-fetch.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Stop tying to make Michael Thomas happen.
[Image: 6358452876343859271386019281_4181315-fetch.gif]

It's the draft swap thread.....  that's the point of the thread!

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:10 PM)3wt Wrote: 1 William Jackson iii
2 Tyler Boyd
3 Joe Schobert
4 Andrew Billings
5 Christain Westerman
6 Cody Core
7 Clayton Fejedelem

Hope I'm wrong

in this passing league they went with coverage skills first.... hmmmmmmm
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 04:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: in this passing league they went with coverage skills first.... hmmmmmmm

Yeah I get it, and they are obviously VERY convinced about his quality.  That comforts me.  And we've been coveting a 3 down linebacker for years.

But being the expert with the background in high school football and social work (LOL) I will submit my final hind sight draft - and will probably be embarrassed with how it would have turned out.  

1. Jackson III - Sounds like a steal and we needed the depth here due to age and upcoming free agency
  2. Boyd - I think this guy could be like a blend of Pickens and Housh
  3. Billings - SO excited about this guy
  4. Judon - I have wanted an impact edge rusher for a long time to pair with Dunlap.  Judon is one of several small school guys that I think is going to impact.  And I'm distressed that he ended up in Baltimore.
  5. Westerman - sounds like an intriguing guy
  6. Mike Thomas - Core may end up being superior.  But this guy's tape looked really good, and when he is described as playing like his hair is on fire it gets my attention.  That's the kind of mentality we need
  7. Fejedelem - I just think he's going to be a player.   I really wanted Jack Allen here, but I would have settled for a full press to get him in free agency instead.
Reply/Quote
I would of picked a safety in the 3rd
Reply/Quote