Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Draft Sharks Says Burrow Is An Injury Risk?!
(07-08-2022, 03:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Any OL ranking for the Bengals at this point is pure speculation based on how the newly-added guys performed on their previous teams.
It's possible we see some decline from them on the Bengals, as they are playing in new scheme and may still need to gel by season start.
For example, Reiff wasn't as good last year with the Bengals as he was the previous season in MIN.
Just because they switched teams doesn't mean that they're playing in a new scheme. they're professional players, so it's not like they're some high school kid trying to learn physics.

The Reiff example could be due to the players around him, the competition, how d coordinators called defenses against Minnesota as opposed to how the called them against the Bengals.

It's speculation, but speculation is based on research of additions and abilities and it seems like Draft Sharks has done little-to-no research on the Bengals.
(07-08-2022, 03:25 PM)ATOTR Wrote: It feels like you are just posting to post, TBH.  Not everything, but these very knee-jerk type threads (Both Pro and Con the Org/Players) seem a little contrived. 
I'm posting this because the offensive line was easily the weakest part of the team last year and was in the 20s in the league rankings to finish the season, yet we still made the Super Bowl, even if we needed a lot of things to go our way.

Burrow took us there, despite taking the most sacks in the league.

What does that tell you? That Burrow is a great quarterback, we have a good team, and we won't need nearly as much luck to have a solid season and make another Super Bowl run with an improved line.

Posting just to post, though? Yeah, like I said, all that rep has made you feel like a message board superstar/hard ass.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 03:27 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Oh no.  Please don't get into a rep measuring contest.  There are people here with tons of rep that post a lot of things sometimes good sometimes bad IMO.    There are also people here with little rep that make great posts.    I don't see any of it as board approval.   

But since you went there Mer is averaging 5.5 rep per post and you are averaging 6.6 per post.  Not what I would say is far outpacing.  Wink

Anyway, IMO rep here is a worthless measure just like facebook or twitter with thumbs or hearts or whatever.   Post what you want and be true when you do so and don't worry about rep or the rep of others.    Just my two cents.  
Exactly........... I've known people to get rep for posting flat-out lies or bashing me and people give them rep just because they have a problem with me, even if I've proved that what they posted to bash me is BS.
(07-08-2022, 03:52 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep and there ain't a QB in the NFL that has 10 straight fingers or I'd say 90% that hasn't had a surgery/surgeries of some sort on their knee/ankle/foot or all of them. Everything this season points to a more relaxed and traditional style of QB play from JB.

Having more time to stand back there, having a better running game leaving far fewer 3rd and long situations than the past couple seasons, running more play-action (which ZT has talked about) from having a better YPC and, believe it or not, even a more experienced WR group where both WR and QB are on the same page even more. It's not like JB and his guys have played that many games together at this level.

Injuries are a part of football and that quote might hold some water if Burrow was injured on normal tackles or hits more than other quarterbacks but, like I said, Burrow's injuries were fluke injuries that have a lot less likelihood of happening with an improved offensive line.

I think Burrow is going to have one of the best seasons of any quarterback in the league and be in contention for the MVP because of the things you mentioned.
Reply/Quote
i remember a day when we survived on a steady diet of threads about mikey's cutlas and dandy's pecker. and thats all we needed godamnit. make it to one fvcking superbowl and we're knee deep in greenhorn repwhores taking time off scanning tiktok for snizz.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 04:10 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: i remember a day when we survived on a steady diet of threads about mikey's cutlas and dandy's pecker.  and thats all we needed godamnit.    make it to one fvcking superbowl and we're knee deep in greenhorn repwhores taking time off scanning tiktok for snizz.

It's a changing culture and an entirely new attitude!

Hell, we're building an indoor practice facility!

Need to elevate expectations!
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 03:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Any OL ranking for the Bengals at this point is pure speculation based on how the newly-added guys performed on their previous teams.
It's possible we see some decline from them on the Bengals, as they are playing in new scheme and may still need to gel by season start.
For example, Reiff wasn't as good last year with the Bengals as he was the previous season in MIN.
Even PFF thinks our line will be VASTLY IMPROVED, and I think they look into everything you mentioned and know more than any of us do on the subject:

Quote:Many don't believe the Bengals will be back in the Super Bowl anytime soon, but they have incredible young talent, and they made some colossal improvements to their offensive line, signing La'el Collins, Alex Cappa and Ted Karras. Joe Burrow won't have any sort of pass protection issues in 2022. 

They have us at #2 in their power rankings.
(07-08-2022, 03:37 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Brad does have a point. What, exactly, are we supposed to be talking about? It's the deadest part of the off-season. Do I find some of the things that Brad posts silly? Sure, but I don't rail him for it. I either don't comment or join in on the silliness. Honestly, his silly posts contribute more to the board than you coming in here to tell him how pointless it is, in my opinion. 

Exactly.

Also, I don't think I post too many silly things about football............

Other topics? Sure  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 04:10 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: i remember a day when we survived on a steady diet of threads about mikey's cutlas and dandy's pecker.  and thats all we needed godamnit.    make it to one fvcking superbowl and we're knee deep in greenhorn repwhores taking time off scanning tiktok for snizz.

That sounds amazing, TBH

Chevy Lumina and a 4 inch Red Crank 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 03:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Just because they switched teams doesn't mean that they're playing in a new scheme. they're professional players, so it's not like they're some high school kid trying to learn physics.

The Reiff example could be due to the players around him, the competition, how d coordinators called defenses against Minnesota as opposed to how the called them against the Bengals.

It's speculation, but speculation is based on research of additions and abilities and it seems like Draft Sharks has done little-to-no research on the Bengals.
I'm posting this because the offensive line was easily the weakest part of the team last year and was in the 20s in the league rankings to finish the season, yet we still made the Super Bowl, even if we needed a lot of things to go our way.

Burrow took us there, despite taking the most sacks in the league.

What does that tell you? That Burrow is a great quarterback, we have a good team, and we won't need nearly as much luck to have a solid season and make another Super Bowl run with an improved line.

Posting just to post, though? Yeah, like I said, all that rep has made you feel like a message board superstar/hard ass.

Understood - I apologize if you felt I was being too critical or overly nitpicky. 

I have enjoyed reading most of your posts, and learning about your backstory and everything you have overcome too. 

I also defended you in an argument with the main troll here, FrankToaster or whatever - I blocked him and have enjoyed the last 10 days much more. 

Cheers.  Have a good wknd
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 03:52 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep and there ain't a QB in the NFL that has 10 straight fingers or I'd say 90% that hasn't had a surgery/surgeries of some sort on their knee/ankle/foot or all of them. Everything this season points to a more relaxed and traditional style of QB play from JB.

Having more time to stand back there, having a better running game leaving far fewer 3rd and long situations than the past couple seasons, running more play-action (which ZT has talked about) from having a better YPC and, believe it or not, even a more experienced WR group where both WR and QB are on the same page even more. It's not like JB and his guys have played that many games together at this level.

Nice post Higgy. I could understand this if we had just tried to draft OL again but we didn't. We added quality proven vets 
in their prime in Free Agency. This should make the chances of Burrow getting injured again much smaller. We should have 
a much better running game and Burrow shouldn't be HAVING to run for the first down near as much.

Plus Burrow WILL get better at sliding, something he was terrible at as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
Well at least they did not predict a major injury to Burrow since they claim he will only miss 1.5 games.

Yet who knows who will get injured from Bengals or any other team for that matter.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Higgy. I could understand this if we had just tried to draft OL again but we didn't. We added quality proven vets 
in their prime in Free Agency. This should make the chances of Burrow getting injured again much smaller. We should have 
a much better running game and Burrow shouldn't be HAVING to run for the first down near as much.

Plus Burrow WILL get better at sliding, something he was terrible at as a rookie.

That's what I'm thinking, especially since offensive line is one of the hardest positions to transfer to the NFL from college.

We're bringing in vets that know what the league is like and they'll pick up on things quickly, like terminology and schemes. Everything begin online now is also helpful because I imagine that the players were sent the playbooks and blocking schemes through email and they've all been studying it and getting up-to-speed. They'll also know the tendencies of a lot of defenders and how the NFL is played, which is very beneficial.

You're right about sliding, but I don't think he'll need much of that because, if he has to scramble, you have to know that he and Chase would just go into backyard football mode and would make the connection before Burrow has to tuck it.

I realize that's not always the case because Burrow might have to run up the middle and protect the ball or run to the opposite side of Chase, so let's just hope that Burrow realizes that protecting his (and our) future is more important than a few extra yards.

After the beating he took last season, I have to think he'll want to play it safer this season lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 04:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Even PFF thinks our line will be VASTLY IMPROVED, and I think they look into everything you mentioned and know more than any of us do on the subject:

They have us at #2 in their power rankings.

Exactly.

Also, I don't think I post too many silly things about football............

Other topics? Sure  Hilarious

That's just what it is though...thinking it will. It's not guaranteed though.
And I'm sure it will be to a good extent.
All I'm saying is don't be surprised if at least one of the newly-added guys doesn't perform quite as well in CIN compared to their previous team.
It happens a lot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 09:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I'm thinking, especially since offensive line is one of the hardest positions to transfer to the NFL from college.

We're bringing in vets that know what the league is like and they'll pick up on things quickly, like terminology and schemes. Everything begin online now is also helpful because I imagine that the players were sent the playbooks and blocking schemes through email and they've all been studying it and getting up-to-speed. They'll also know the tendencies of a lot of defenders and how the NFL is played, which is very beneficial.

You're right about sliding, but I don't think he'll need much of that because, if he has to scramble, you have to know that he and Chase would just go into backyard football mode and would make the connection before Burrow has to tuck it.

I realize that's not always the case because Burrow might have to run up the middle and protect the ball or run to the opposite side of Chase, so let's just hope that Burrow realizes that protecting his (and our) future is more important than a few extra yards.

After the beating he took last season, I have to think he'll want to play it safer this season lol.

Good point about being able to catch up faster with the technology now a days. My only real question was how fast the OL gels.

And yes, Burrow and Chase have that connection that not many have. The play can break down and it just doesn't matter what
the coverage is, they cannot cover forever. That 49ers TD is a prime example. Burrow is thinking about playing it safer, he even 
has a dude that catches the ball for him when he plays catch with the other Dim Simms lol

(07-09-2022, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's just what it is though...thinking it will. It's not guaranteed though.
And I'm sure it will be to a good extent.
All I'm saying is don't be surprised if at least one of the newly-added guys doesn't perform quite as well in CIN compared to their previous team.
It happens a lot.

Maybe Karras cause he has Carman, Volson or D'Ante playing next to him?

I don't know, sounds like Ted is already a leader and taking guys under his wing.

Maybe Cappa cause of the injury before TC?

I don't know, sounds like he will be ready for TC.

La'el will be an upgrade over Riley Reiff pretty much guarantee it and he loves Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2022, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point about being able to catch up faster with the technology now a days. My only real question was how fast the OL gels.

And yes, Burrow and Chase have that connection that not many have. The play can break down and it just doesn't matter what
the coverage is, they cannot cover forever. That 49ers TD is a prime example. Burrow is thinking about playing it safer, he even 
has a dude that catches the ball for him when he plays catch with the other Dim Simms lol

Maybe Karras cause he has Carman, Volson or D'Ante playing next to him?

I don't know, sounds like Ted is already a leader and taking guys under his wing.

Maybe Cappa cause of the injury before TC?

I don't know, sounds like he will be ready for TC.

La'el will be an upgrade over Riley Reiff pretty much guarantee it and he loves Pollack.

It's definitely possible, heck even probable, that everyone on the OL will play well.
I'm just saying it's possible someone doesn't play as well as we'd expect/hope, and thus the OL doesn't do as well as some of the projections are saying.
It's no secret that the OLs under Pollack since he left Dallas haven't been great at pass protecting. Sure, some of that is definitely the players he's working with, but it could also be that he's a better run blocking coach than pass blocking coach.
And it's also known that Cappa and Karras aren't some of the highest athletic moving IOL in the league, so they might not perform quite as well in a wide zone run scheme.

I'm expecting an improvement compared to last year, for sure. However, I'm still a bit cautious to anoint the OL as a Top 10 unit until we see them actually play in some regular season games together.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2022, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's definitely possible, heck even probable, that everyone on the OL will play well.
I'm just saying it's possible someone doesn't play as well as we'd expect/hope, and thus the OL doesn't do as well as some of the projections are saying.
It's no secret that the OLs under Pollack since he left Dallas haven't been great at pass protecting. Sure, some of that is definitely the players he's working with, but it could also be that he's a better run blocking coach than pass blocking coach.
And it's also known that Cappa and Karras aren't some of the highest athletic moving IOL in the league, so they might not perform quite as well in a wide zone run scheme.

I'm expecting an improvement compared to last year, for sure. However, I'm still a bit cautious to anoint the OL as a Top 10 unit until we see them actually play in some regular season games together.

Almost for sure.

But the other thing is I doubt they have to be a top of the top shelf unit for us to improve, a lot ? Just that don't totally suck like several of the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Higgy. I could understand this if we had just tried to draft OL again but we didn't. We added quality proven vets 

He was terrible at sliding last year too... Dude literally dove for a first when he was over 20 feet away from the marker against Green Bay too. Decisions like that are a good way to miss a few games.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2022, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's definitely possible, heck even probable, that everyone on the OL will play well.

All understandable, nice post Ocho. Mellow

(07-10-2022, 01:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Almost for sure.

But the other thing is I doubt they have to be a top of the top shelf unit for us to improve, a lot ? Just that don't totally suck like several of the past few years.

Yeah, the OL just not totally sucking would be nice lol

(07-11-2022, 07:05 PM)jason Wrote: He was terrible at sliding last year too... Dude literally dove for a first when he was over 20 feet away from the marker against Green Bay too. Decisions like that are a good way to miss a few games.

True, Joe really needs to work on this part of his game more than anything. Learn how to slide man. Mellow
Reply/Quote