Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I've Got Something to Say
I couldn't agree with you more, Wes Mantoast - you do usually write more than you need to. Ninja

Seriously, though, this really highlights something that I have had to deal with for much of the last 8 years. Frustrated and highly critical fans are still fans. Sure, some get carried away, but this team has certainly provided ample reason for fans to be frustrated and to be critical. I've said it plenty of times before - we all have different personalities yet one common love for this football team. It manifests itself so differently in so many people that a popular gathering place like this is inevitably going to have some clashes. Spoiler alert: there are plenty more clashes to come at some point in time in the future. For now, however, we are gradually getting the opportunity to truly enjoy this connection we have because - while we may not all agree on how to get there - we all have the same ultimate goal for this team. The closer the Bengals get to achieving that, the more connected we become.

It's nice to have this opportunity now because we cannot know just yet if it will be fractured by our injury luck running out or the playoff demons dragging us down once again. Just maybe, though, we'll see this team evolve beyond its current reputation and take us somewhere we haven't been in almost 3 decades. Even moreso, it would be the first opportunity for us to experience such a run since we've had the opportunity to grow even closer via the internet and communities like this one. I've been fortunate enough to see this team reach two Super Bowls previously, albeit from the isolation of my own home with no other Bengals fans to enjoy it with. I cannot imagine what it would be like to share that experience - and, hopefully, a championship - here with all of you....but I'm eager to find out.

Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 12:25 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: WhoDeyWho is the biggest Dalton homer on these forums. I remember in prior years Dalton would have games where he'd have ratings in the 60s and he'd come on these forums and consistently make excuses for him. It was sad.

About as "sad" as this:

[Image: i5afGMP.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 02:22 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Making an extra million a year will not be enough.

The escalators and incentives at this point will not budge him too far up the QB pay scale.
Like I said they wont have to pay him crazy money(They wont) but I just do not think any guy who has a premier season at the most important position in football will be happy to still be paid as a bottom half of the league QB.

Dalton will average close to $19 mil a year for the rest of his contract if he goes to the SB this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 10:41 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: He is producing at a top 3 level, I would say that means he is elite.

Who do you have in your top 3 anyway?

Playing elite and being elite are two different things.

In order to be elite in my opinion, you need to have played at an elite level for an extended period of time. Is that two seasons or four, I'm not sure. However, I do know it's not one.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 04:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton will average close to $19 mil a year for the rest of his contract if he goes to the SB this year.

That would be only if he wins and also that was a 2014 escalator.

As it is right now he will be the 20th highest paid QB next year.
Reply/Quote
Like this thread.

While really enjoying watching this team play, there's something in the pit of my stomach that is still a little uneasy. I've alwsys liked Andy and remember all those "who would you rather have...Dalton or Kapernick" posts in the old JN. I'm waiting for a coach to come up with a scheme that frustrates him and he resorts to the Andy of last season. But, every game I see this year, the more comfortable I feel.

Guenther seems to be getting better on game planning, but he's still no Zim. That said, he got Gino back doing his Pro Bowl play, so it's not all bad.

We're really good now....as good as anyone in the NFL. And, once Burfict gets back into football playing health, I think we're heads and shoulders above anyone else in the NFL. I like this team even better than the '05 team, which would have won the SB if it wasn't for....well....no sense playing that fiasco over again.

Sadly, this is probably the last chance for this group to win the SB. Some will stay here. A lot will head to greener pastures after the season and it may take 4-5 more years to reproduce (if we can reproduce) what we have now.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 02:55 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Sadly, this is probably the last chance for this group to win the SB.  Some will stay here.  A lot will head to greener pastures after the season and it may take 4-5 more years to reproduce (if we can reproduce) what we have now.

We have a lot of our top players signed to multi-year deals.  There is no reason to think this team is going to fall off any time soon.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 01:54 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: We have a lot of our top players signed to multi-year deals.  There is no reason to think this team is going to fall off any time soon.  

Success will take its toll, but you're right - this organization has positioned itself pretty well in regards to its future. The should be able to withstand some losses and still be quite competitive. It's hard not to wonder what kind of impact Michael Johnson & Pat Sims could have on some of the team's potential free agents. Both are admittedly proof that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.
Reply/Quote