Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Pick in Rd 1...
I gotta say the Steelers blew it with their pick, Edmunds. There are higher rated safeties and they pick him....
Baltimore taking Jackson by trading up for the last pick in RD1 to get him?? Why not trade up in RD2 to get him, cost them less IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Baltimore taking Jackson by trading up for the last pick in RD1 to get him?? Why not trade up in RD2 to get him, cost them less IMO.

You trade into the 1st because it gives you the 5th year option, which for a QB is a big deal. Then add in the fact you probably won't even play him for a year or two so the longer you have to evaluate him the better, it was actually a really smart move.
Reply/Quote
Seahawks and Steelers reached a bit, but the Saints pick stands out. They gave up a lot for a non-QB.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Jackson is a QB, and moving up into the first round means they get a 5th year option. Very savvy cost-effective move by Ozzie to get him there. If he pans out, he'll be of great value in that 5th year for the Ravens.

That said, I have my doubts that he will pan out at QB, which is good news for the rest of the AFC North...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:52 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Seahawks and Steelers reached a bit, but the Saints pick stands out. They gave up a lot for a non-QB.

And imagine the pinball numbers New Orleans would put up if they got Jackson (if he pans out obviously).
Reply/Quote
Oakland & Kolton Miller. The Gruden era 2.0 gets off to a rocky start.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: You trade into the 1st because it gives you the 5th year option, which for a QB is a big deal. Then add in the fact you probably won't even play him for a year or two so the longer you have to evaluate him the better, it was actually a really smart move.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:52 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Seahawks and Steelers reached a bit, but the Saints pick stands out. They gave up a lot for a non-QB.

Story on nfl.com says a team tried to trade Seattle for him after they took him. Could be the teams were higher on him than all of us
Reply/Quote
While I know Cleveland needed a DB, I think passing on Chubb was a big mistake. They had the first pick in the 2nd round. Josh Jackson still there. I'd be dancing if I was them and got Baker, Chubb and Jackson in my first three picks
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:32 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Story on nfl.com says a team tried to trade Seattle for him after they took him. Could be the teams were higher on him than all of us

It was Cleveland, he was going to be their pick at 33. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:53 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Jackson is a QB, and moving up into the first round means they get a 5th year option. Very savvy cost-effective move by Ozzie to get him there. If he pans out, he'll be of great value in that 5th year for the Ravens.

That said, I have my doubts that he will pan out at QB, which is good news for the rest of the AFC North...

they already have RGIII in place incase he doesn't work out both should be able to run the same system...

2018 is flaccos last ride I believe...      Before it gets way to costly to cut him
Reply/Quote
Kolton Miller, Terrell Edmunds, and Josh Allen were all bad picks in my opinion just because I think all 3 are likely to be busts.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I give my worst pick to Cleveland for Mayfield.

Not that I don't think Mayfield can develop I just don't think he will in Cleveland. Especially when they get a new head coach next season and he will want his own QB.

but gotta keep the wheels of the factory turning.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: You trade into the 1st because it gives you the 5th year option, which for a QB is a big deal. Then add in the fact you probably won't even play him for a year or two so the longer you have to evaluate him the better, it was actually a really smart move.

Yep, especially for our situation, it makes sense to get that option. 

These might sounds silly, but the Browns selecting Ward over Chubb or the Giants taking Barkley over Darnold/Allen/Rosen. 

They both selected tremendous players, but for the Browns, how do you not take the top defensive player? For the Giants, how do you pass up on your new franchise QB especially with the 2019 class seemingly lacking the same depth as this one?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yep, especially for our situation, it makes sense to get that option. 

These might sounds silly, but the Browns selecting Ward over Chubb or the Giants taking Barkley over Darnold/Allen/Rosen. 

They both selected tremendous players, but for the Browns, how do you not take the top defensive player? For the Giants, how do you pass up on your new franchise QB especially with the 2019 class seemingly lacking the same depth as this one?

I think the browns really like Ogbah, who is already on their roster, and they really liked Ward which made it all work in their minds. As for the Giants, I don't know to me it seems dumb as they could have gotten a QB then a guy like Chubb or Guice in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yep, especially for our situation, it makes sense to get that option. 

Maybe the G-men pick up Mason Rudolph in round 2. If they do that, it makes it a little easier to see the Barkley pick, especially if he becomes what everyone expects of him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Baker Mayfield is the biggest reach.

First knock is that he's 6' 210, obviously that's not to important to me, but it does matter.

The 2nd knock is he played in a variation of the air raid offense, which is a stat riser for any QB.

But how many of these prolific passers have translated into the NFL? Well, let's take a look, shall we? Of the QB's I can think of, that played a more traditional air raid offense.

Tim Couch, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Kevin Kolb, Geno Smith, John Beck, Nick Foles, Josh Heupel, Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, Case Keenum, Dominique Davis, Graham Harrell, Jared Lorenzen, Jason White, Max Hall, Nate Hybl, Sonny Cumbie and Jared Goff.

All these quarterbacks had at least one year in a air raid offense and they all put up huge numbers for the most part.

In this list you only have 4 QB's that were good to solid Tim Couch, Nick Foles, Case Keenum and Jared Goff. With Goff being more then likely the only QB that hs truly got the potential to be truly great, he was last year.

Maybe Keenum could be great, you could also add Kolb and Smith as being solid QB's.

But overall the number would seem to indicate that they just aren't worth the risk that high.

With Haley and Jackson he does have the potential to make it, I like him a lot more then Johnny Manziel. I just don't think I'd take that risk at number 1.

Let's be honest he threw 389 times, completed 70.5 percent of his passes for 4340 yards, had 41 TD's and 5 interceptions.

Carson Palmer threw 489 times, completed 63.2 percent of his passes for 3942 yards, had 33 TD's and 10 interceptions.

If we're being honest, based on what we know, Palmer gets drafted 10 out of 10 times before Baker. Why, because Palmer played a more traditional NFL offense in college, plus he had prototypical size and strength for a quarterback.

I think he has the potential to be really good, but I personally would have passed on him at number 1. He doesn't have to start immediately, but we all know if things go bad their throwing him out there.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:37 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Kolton Miller, Terrell Edmunds, and Josh Allen were all bad picks in my opinion just because I think all 3 are likely to be busts.

With all due respect, Josh Allen will NOT be a bust.  Probably won't be  a day one starter but he will be very good because he has the will to be great and he made vast improvement from the end of the season until now in his footwork and mechanics. 

His rocket arm will be just what the doctor ordered in Buffalo, where the wind never stops blowing.  I don't do a lot of predicting but I believe he will be the best of all these QB's when all is said and done.

As far as Edmunds goes, the Steelers are pretty damn good at acquiring talent, so I grudgingly have to give them the benefit of the doubt
because i believe in giving credit where due.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 12:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I gotta say the Steelers blew it with their pick, Edmunds.  There are higher rated safeties and they pick him....
Baltimore taking Jackson by trading up for the last pick in RD1 to get him?? Why not trade up in RD2 to get him, cost them less IMO.

Mike Tomlin confused him with his brother. Dumbass. LOL 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

I think the Browns made an economic decision more than anything. I don't think they wanted Garrett and Chubb to get potentially big contracts in back to back years and leave them in a position to have to scrape by in other position groups.
Reply/Quote