Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft
A lot of mock drafts have us taking Linderbaum, I know a few don’t think he will be there. Let’s say he is. Do we take him and slide Karras over to G and therefore we have basically upgraded the entire OL. Or do we keep what we have on the OL, and go CB or BPA?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:18 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: A lot of mock drafts have us taking Linderbaum, I know a few don’t think he will be there.  Let’s say he is. Do we take him and slide Karras over to G and therefore we have basically upgraded the entire OL.  Or do we keep what we have on the OL, and go CB or BPA?

I don't see giving up on guys we drafted last year (Carman, Smith) just to take a chance on a rookie.

But the coaches have seen a lot more of Carman and Smith than I have.  They might have a completely different opinion.

Nothing against Linderbaum, but I would like to get some value from the guys we already drafted so we could use our picks this year on other needs.
Reply/Quote
I'm with Fred, we have at least 2 pretty high draft picks in Carman and Smith that I would hope can fill the empty guard hole on the line. They're surrounded by quality players, I see no reason to spend high draft capital on another rookie O lineman who would likely face the same issues that these players did last year anyway.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:18 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: A lot of mock drafts have us taking Linderbaum, I know a few don’t think he will be there.  Let’s say he is. Do we take him and slide Karras over to G and therefore we have basically upgraded the entire OL.  Or do we keep what we have on the OL, and go CB or BPA?

If Tyler Linderbaum is there at 31, you run to podium and select him. He's a special talent. Carmen and Smith provide critical depth, as over 17 games it is unlikely the OL gets through unscathed. 

There is still cap money available to fix or add depth to one other position, such as CB or WR4 or DL. But you would not have to worry about the OL anymore, with excellent players and depth.
Reply/Quote
Honest question, but how did these #1 center prospects fair in their first year ?

Landon Dickerson
Cesar Ruiz
Garrett Bradbury
Reply/Quote
I would pick him of he is there. But as a Bengal representative walks to the podium to announce the selection I am calling someone like Stephon Gilmore to fly out to Cincy and sign a contract.
Reply/Quote
are we expecting pick #31 to come in and start right away? I see this pick as depth in their rookie year with the likelihood that a starter in front of them will leave via free agency within a year or two (CB, S, C/LG). To me, it puts the Bengals in a good spot of seeing who drops to them. My guess is a CB
Reply/Quote
I firmly say yes to picking Linderbaum at #31 if he is there.

It gets more complicated if we have more than 1 highly rated guy who falls to us. I'd put Linderbaum, Zion Johnson, Devonte Wyatt, Dax Hill, McDuffie, and Booth all in that category. And Kenyon Green is close. Ojabo is also interesting. If one of those guys is staring us in the face, I think you take them. If TWO of those guys are staring you in the face, I think you take the guy who has the best chance to immediately start.

1. IOL guys
2. High end CB
3. Wyatt
4. Hill
5. Ojabo

If you take Linderbaum, Carman/Smith can compete with Karras for LG. If one or both takes the leap, fantastic. We now have affordable OL depth as Karras can backup C/G and Smith/Carman G/T. We don't have to pay a vet FA for depth (Reiff/Spain) and perhaps can spend some of that $$ on a FA CB (Gilnore) or DT (Ogunjobi). Might even be able to release Adeniji or Hill.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer them go defense early at this point. I beleive them when they say that Karras is the center. If they want another option at LG, then Spain shouldn't cost a lot to re-sign.

They need depth on the d-line, not to mention help at corner and a potential replacement for Bates. They've got a lot invested in the starting front four and will need young, controllable talent soon.

If they go offense, I'd almost rather see a TE than a OL.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:00 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd prefer them go defense early at this point.  I beleive them when they say that Karras is the center.  If they want another option at LG, then Spain shouldn't cost a lot to re-sign.  

They need depth on the d-line, not to mention help at corner and a potential replacement for Bates.  They've got a lot invested in the starting front four and will need young, controllable talent soon.  

If they go offense, I'd almost rather see a TE than a OL.

^ this. We literally only have Pratt and Wilson as starters on rookie contracts. We need to space this put with new rookies sooner than later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

There's a draft section on these forums that this discussion probably makes more sense in - http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 03:01 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Honest question, but how did these #1 center prospects fair in their first year ?

Landon Dickerson
Cesar Ruiz
Garrett Bradbury

The one KC drafted last yr made the pro bowl....and to be fair to Ruiz he was moved to RG and didn't play center.
Reply/Quote
I would say if Green, Zion or Linderbaum are there at 31 you take them.
Reply/Quote