Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafting Jaylon Smith in the first?
Just read on Cincy Jungle that there is a Walter Football report that says the Bengals may look at Jaylon Smith in the first round. I know there is a lot of predraft smoke and speculation going on right now, but they did draft Ogbuehi last year knowing that he would have to sit his rookie season. If this were to come true, I would be very disappointed.

Thoughts??

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/13/11413742/nfl-draft-rumors-2016-is-drafting-jaylon-smith-a-possibility-for-bengals
Reply/Quote
If the medicals check out you do it. There was talk he was the best player in the draft before he was hurt. If the medicals are good you take him. I could see it being part of a scenario where we trade back to the end of the first and he is still there, I don't think we take him at 24.

Also remember though, Walter Football is a nobody who gets far too much credit. I'd prefer to see it from a better source. He likes to just look at history and try to use it to predict future tendencies...i.e. he always has us taking guys ind raft with character issues.
Reply/Quote
The last thing they need is yet another early pick who can't help them this year. They're at like 4/10 on 1st and 2nd round picks the last four years. 2/5 on 1st round picks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: If the medicals check out you do it. There was talk he was the best player in the draft before he was hurt. If the medicals are good you take him. I could see it being part of a scenario where we trade back to the end of the first and he is still there, I don't think we take him at 24.

Also remember though, Walter Football is a nobody who gets far too much credit. I'd prefer to see it from a better source. He likes to just look at history and try to use it to predict future tendencies...i.e. he always has us taking guys ind raft with character issues.

I agree on all counts, but if the medicals DO check out, it will be a moot point. He won't be there at 24.  
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know the current medicals but last check he is a real risk to ever be the player he once was. He may never be the same.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 06:43 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't know the current medicals but last check he is a real risk to ever be the player he once was.  He may never be the same.

If this is the case we shouldn't use a pick on him until the 3rd round at the earliest.

It might be worth the gamble then, but we have to many immediate needs to waste a pick in the 1st or 2nd this year.

We need a decent WR and a DE early IMHO cause the depth falls off big time after the 2nd round both positions.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: If the medicals check out you do it. There was talk he was the best player in the draft before he was hurt. If the medicals are good you take him. I could see it being part of a scenario where we trade back to the end of the first and he is still there, I don't think we take him at 24.

Wally is stuck in the 90's.  Loves to bang on us.  I never go to his site.

Regarding Jaylon, it all depends on his physical.  If he passes, someone will take him before us.  If there are questions, we don't want him.  I am hoping for his sake that everything checks out OK.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 05:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The last thing they need is yet another early pick who can't help them this year. They're at like 4/10 on 1st and 2nd round picks the last four years. 2/5 on 1st round picks.

Well, sure, but this team doesn't draft guys to step in and play year 1.  So, I would have no problem taking a guy who was going to be a top 5 pick before the injury.
Reply/Quote
I love Jaylon Smith, but the injury is very risky. It's not just an ACL tear, there's a PCL tear and torn tissue. The same injury happened to Lattimore.

Can he come back from it? Sure. But it's extremely difficult and no telling if he's going to be the same player he was.

You have to wait on the kid sadly.

Also, take whatever Walter says with a grain of salt. He does decent with scouting reports and teams meeting with prospects. But when it comes to insider information and so on, he's very off. He doesn't know where teams are drafting players and so on.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I thoughy Jaylon just said himself the other day he doesnt know. Any guess to his availability would be speculation. Could be training camp could be 2017. This medical check today wont give anybody the green light.

If we want to gamble that bad we can probably do it in the middle rounds like all the hurt guys the 49ers habe been taking.
Reply/Quote
If he checks out, then yes id take him and do with what we did with Cedric last year. Theres plenty of value at WR in the second round.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't want Smith in the first round. It's too much of a gamble. His rechecks just said he's going to miss all of 2016, and he still has a little bit of nerve damage (which still could heal, but who knows). The 2nd round is pushing it, but I wouldn't be too mad. I would try to aim for the 3rd though.
Reply/Quote
I agree with what some others have said.

This draft they need players from the top picks to contribute.

If not to start then to at least be rotational.

DE, LB, WR, DT could all use help in depth play.

We have guys long in the tooth and bubble players(at least should be) in depth.

I'd sure like some assurance that the top two picks could step in early if needed.

Especially if a starter gets injured and they need them for even a little play time by rotation.

Not to mention a better center but I'm dreaming if they address that.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Smith is a top 5 player...and the best LB on the board by far. I say if he is there I would have no problem if they draft him. I know, its a risk, but the whole draft is a risk. If he has a full recovery, its a fantastic pick to get a top 5 player at 24.
Reply/Quote
He hasn't checked out healthy at all. Already ruled out for the 2016 season and there's questions as to whether he'll play in 2017.

Smith will most likely go undrafted. Sad, really. Extremely talented player with great character
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 05:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The last thing they need is yet another early pick who can't help them this year. They're at like 4/10 on 1st and 2nd round picks the last four years. 2/5 on 1st round picks.

95% of 1st round picks don't help year one.  We have one of the strongest rosters in the nfl for a reason.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 03:43 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He hasn't checked out healthy at all. Already ruled out for the 2016 season and there's questions as to whether he'll play in 2017.

Smith will most likely go undrafted. Sad, really. Extremely talented player with great character

thats not what ive been hearing.  Why is it do you still see a lot of the top guys mocking him in the first round.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 06:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: thats not what ive been hearing.  Why is it do you still see a lot of the top guys mocking him in the first round.  

Check nfl.Com

They just put out a story today. He's most likely missing 2016. Possibly some 2017. Im on my phone so I can't post a link right now.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 06:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: 95% of 1st round picks don't help year one.  We have one of the strongest rosters in the nfl for a reason.

I don't think this is true at all.  The great majority of first round players are expected to contribute year one.  You take them that high for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:49 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Just read on Cincy Jungle that there is a Walter Football report that says the Bengals may look at Jaylon Smith in the first round.  I know there is a lot of predraft smoke and speculation going on right now, but they did draft Ogbuehi last year knowing that he would have to sit his rookie season.  If this were to come true, I would be very disappointed.

Thoughts??

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/13/11413742/nfl-draft-rumors-2016-is-drafting-jaylon-smith-a-possibility-for-bengals

Why would you be disappointed?  He is a top 5 talent in this draft and very well could be the best player in the draft if not for the injury.

The Bengals don't generally use their rookies all that much, so I would love the pick.  We are one of the few teams that could take him and it wouldn't be a huge deal with our approach to rookies.

That being said, I would rather see him go to us in the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote