Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafting with a lens on upcoming free agents
(04-22-2023, 04:27 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Reader or a younger replacement is more important than having $40 million or more tied up on two WRs.

The thing is, Reader is a Top 5 DT. We can draft a DT at 28, but huge chance he's nowhere near as good as Reader. At 28, there's a decent chance a guy is a bust or not high quality starter.

It's what happened to us when we let Whitworth go.

It's a huge risk letting go of a good player and going with a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 11:09 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Although that's a lot of free agents, that's also a lot of cap coming off the books. You have the option to extend or replace free agents with other free agents. Boyd, Mixon, and Jonah are as good as gone and thats actually a shit ton of money freed up right there.

No idea why so many want to throw the bag at Tee. If it comes down to being able to re-sign Tee or someone like Reader...I go Reader all day. Chase is the WR who should get the bag.

I just can't see the Bengals reaching a deal with Tee given his agent and the Bengals unwillingness to pay top dollar for WR2.

You’d rather pay reader at age 30-33/34 vs paying Higgins at age 25-29? Really?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 11:09 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just can't see the Bengals reaching a deal with Tee given his agent and the Bengals unwillingness to pay top dollar for WR2.

Not sure where this is coming from?  I don't recall Duke, Katie and Mike Brown all saying they absolutely want to get a deal done with another WR2 like they have Higgins?

I also think Joe Burrow may have something to say about Higgins.

I have zero doubts that they put forth a solid effort to sign Tee longterm.  I dont disagree that his agent may be a factor.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But why? I could see Reader playing at a high level for 3 more years.

(04-22-2023, 05:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is, Reader is a Top 5 DT. We can draft a DT at 28, but huge chance he's nowhere near as good as Reader. At 28, there's a decent chance a guy is a bust or not high quality starter.

It's what happened to us when we let Whitworth go.

It's a huge risk letting go of a good player and going with a rookie.

Assuming he stays healthy. He's missed 18 games in 3 years as a Bengal and guys don't get more durable in their 30s.

If he can't stay on the field, a guy who is 80% of what Reader is playing 100% of the games is actually more valuable because the backup behind Reader who will be pushed into the starting role (and the guy behind him on the PS or whatever who will be pushed into the rotational role) are a HUGE dropoff from even 80% of Reader... and the guy 80% of Reader won't be having $13.5-15.5m cap hits.

All a moot point if he stays healthy, but he's had trouble doing that as a Bengal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 02:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Assuming he stays healthy. He's missed 18 games in 3 years as a Bengal and guys don't get more durable in their 30s.

If he can't stay on the field, a guy who is 80% of what Reader is playing 100% of the games is actually more valuable because the backup behind Reader who will be pushed into the starting role (and the guy behind him on the PS or whatever who will be pushed into the rotational role) are a HUGE dropoff from even 80% of Reader... and the guy 80% of Reader won't be having $13.5-15.5m cap hits.

All a moot point if he stays healthy, but he's had trouble doing that as a Bengal.

Reader is one of my favorite Bengals, but when he missed time this year, the team seemed to do okay without him.  There was the debacle on Halloween, but that seemed more due to our own pass protection issues that anything.  To be fair, Chubb and the Cleveland offense have chewed up Bengals defensive fronts both with and without Reader.  

Eventually it will be less about whether or not they want to keep a player.  There won't  be any disputing if a player they decide not to extend is good or a contributor.  It will be about who they think they can least live without or who can give them better value.  Bates was a good player and so was Bell.  They moved on.  They obviously are putting a lot of weight on age in the decision-making process.  

Unless DJ is willing to take a bit less to remain here, he's likely gone.  If we're not all a bit more realistic about a player's likelihood of doing that by now, then we're slow learners.  Someone will shell out big money for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 10:08 AM)samhain Wrote: Reader is one of my favorite Bengals, but when he missed time this year, the team seemed to do okay without him.  There was the debacle on Halloween, but that seemed more due to our own pass protection issues that anything.  To be fair, Chubb and the Cleveland offense have chewed up Bengals defensive fronts both with and without Reader.  

Eventually it will be less about whether or not they want to keep a player.  There won't  be any disputing if a player they decide not to extend is good or a contributor.  It will be about who they think they can least live without or who can give them better value.  Bates was a good player and so was Bell.  They moved on.  They obviously are putting a lot of weight on age in the decision-making process.  

Unless DJ is willing to take a bit less to remain here, he's likely gone.  If we're not all a bit more realistic about a player's likelihood of doing that by now, then we're slow learners.  Someone will shell out big money for him.

Lmao uhh... the defense took a big step back. I have no idea what team you were watching

Sure, the offense picked up the slack, and the results were wins, but that defense took a noticeable step back when Reader wasn’t there

I really wonder what some fans are looking at when the game is on...

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:47 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hendrickson is not a FA until 2025. 

As for the rest: 

1. Higgins: extension this offseason. Working on it now. 
2. Wilson: probable extension if reasonable. 
3. Reader= core piece already on high salary. Extend. 
4. Boyd = likely gone unless he takes a haircut. Draft replacement now or next year. 
5. Awuzie: good but not great. See how he is this year. Draft a cornerthis year, preferably early.  He only makes around $7 mil. Reasonable. 
6. Jonah. Gone after this year if not this year. Not a core piece. Carman or Collins or a pick (this year or next) takes over.  
7. Mixon. Ditto. Draft a replacement this year or next. 

I don't think his hair is that long.

As to the OP: It's what good teams do. Bad teams draft for starters, good teams draft for the future. #28 should be BPA unless it's a QB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I expect we'll grab a DT later in the draft as the top DT prospects are primarily run stoppers and what we lack is interior pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 10:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the OP: It's what good teams do. Bad teams draft for starters, good teams draft for the future. #28 should be BPA unless it's a QB

I mean that's nice to say and all, but the Chiefs had 3 rookies start >10 games last year and another 3 2021 rookies started >10 games in 2021.

Drafting for starters is not the same thing as reaching. BPA is a nice rallying call, but we're not going to draft a QB with our 1st pick even if it's not BPA. We're not going to draft a LT with our 1st pick even if it's BPA. We're probably not going to draft a WR with our 1st pick even if it's BPA. Needs always have to be factored in.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 11:35 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: You’d rather pay reader at age 30-33/34 vs paying Higgins at age 25-29? Really?

When you already have an all pro reciever on the team like Chase, yes. Age has nothing to do with it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:13 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure where this is coming from?  I don't recall Duke, Katie and Mike Brown all saying they absolutely want to get a deal done with another WR2 like they have Higgins?

I also think Joe Burrow may have something to say about Higgins.

I have zero doubts that they put forth a solid effort to sign Tee longterm.  I dont disagree that his agent may be a factor.

Based on past history. When have they ever sunk a bunch of money into WR2? They let Marvin Jones walk. Housh, Sanu, etc.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Based on past history. When have they ever sunk a bunch of money into WR2? They let Marvin Jones walk. Housh, Sanu, etc.

When have they ever signed the Top LT on the FA market?  I could do this several times.  The FO has defitniely evolved.

Sanu?  He had 300 yards his contract year, you wanted them to pay him top dollar?  To do what, play QB?

And they did sign TJ to a 2nd contract.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 28-30 isn't old in nfl terms.

depends on position  but often yes
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is why I think Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton may be on the table for our first round pick if our first few targets are taken. We need that run stopping DT that can also rush the passer. Mazi Smith is more on the pure run stopping side right now, but he has the potential to develop pass rushing moves in the future and Benton is kind of a do it all DT. Good at rushing the passer from multiple positions and very stout against the run.

Yep, Benton is my hope in the 2nd Round or even at 28. Losing Reader after this season could really hurt us big time if we don't add a guy.

I like Tufele and BJ Hill but they aren't DJ Reader, Benton could be. 

To the OP, I think we extend Tee and Logan. Trey has another year on his contract after this one. Need to Draft a Corner like Forbes, DJ 
Turner, Clark Phillips or Eli Ricks with Chido most likely leaving after this year. Tyler Scott in the 3rd round would be a good Boyd replacement.

Not concerned with Mixon or Jonah leaving, I don't think they fit the Offense we have now anyways.
Reply/Quote
Here we go. DE in 1st.

Let's see what else?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here we go. DE in 1st.

Let's see what else?

They say that a cupboard that is regularly stocked will never be empty.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They say that a cupboard that is regularly stocked will never be empty.

Yes. Plus, it increases your chances of hitting big.

Our pass rush was kind of an issue last year. Hubbard and Hendrickson played A LOT of snaps, and overall pass rush was middling.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here we go. DE in 1st.

Let's see what else?

The Eagles keep on STACKING D-Line and are Loaded with Veterans plus young Georgia Stars.

The Bengals may keep DT in mind since NFL Teams tend to copy what works for other Teams and to get to Mahommes with pressure.

More Defense could be coming (Corner, DT or Safety)
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:29 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

The Eagles keep on STACKING D-Line and are Loaded with Veterans plus young Georgia Stars.

The Bengals may keep DT in mind since NFL Teams tend to copy what works for other Teams and to get to Mahommes with pressure.

More Defense could be coming (Corner, DT or Safety)

Yes sir. Keep the Defense stocked up. I am fine with this as this Draft is deep at Corner, TE and even RB. Benton or Ika in the 2nd 
would keep our Defense a rollin' after the Murphy pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 05:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir. Keep the Defense stocked up. I am fine with this as this Draft is deep at Corner, TE and even RB. Benton or Ika in the 2nd 
would keep our Defense a rollin' after the Murphy pick.

What the Eagles have done is Scary. Overkill to get players that can get to the quarterbacks.

LDE Brandon Graham 

DT Jalen Carter 

NT Jordan Davis 

DT Fletcher Cox 

RDE Josh Sweat    rotating with 
Derek Barnett

LBs - Haason Reddick & Nolan Smith 
Reply/Quote