Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drafting without Marvin Lewis
Has anyone thought about how the loss of Marvin Lewis could affect our drafting?

Many of us on the board have given ML a lot of props for his talent evaluation and for having success in the draft. With him gone, does that all change now?

With the Bengals not having a GM to guide the process, does anyone wonder how Zac Taylor will be with evaluating talent and drafting? The guy has never done this before...

We still have Duke Tobin, I guess, but I think one of the biggest impacts of ML leaving is going to be player drafting.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Has anyone thought about how the loss of Marvin Lewis could affect our drafting?

Many of us on the board have given ML a lot of props for his talent evaluation and for having success in the draft. With him gone, does that all change now?

With the Bengals not having a GM to guide the process, does anyone wonder how Zac Taylor will be with evaluating talent and drafting? The guy has never done this before...

We still have Duke Tobin, I guess, but I think one of the biggest impacts of ML leaving is going to be player drafting.

I believe that Lewis was good at spotting talent.  Not sold on Tobin yet.  I hope Taylor has a strong voice in the war room on draft day.  I hope Mike Brown is at home asleep!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think when Taylor becomes officially a head coach could have a somewhat significance on our draft in the fact that he needs to time to evaluate who is currently on our roster, who is a free agent, and where we need improvement (and not just in the obvious). That said, I figure Tobin is probably the biggest key to scouting draft picks, so as long as Taylor has a good plan in place going in, we should be alright.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think when Taylor becomes officially a head coach could have a somewhat significance on our draft in the fact that he needs to time to evaluate who is currently on our roster, who is a free agent, and where we need improvement (and not just in the obvious). That said, I figure Tobin is probably the biggest key to scouting draft picks, so as long as Taylor has a good plan in place going in, we should be alright.

Agree, go Saints !
Reply/Quote
As long as whoever signed off on picks like Ogbuehi and Ross is sitting it out on draft day, we should be ok.
Reply/Quote
What I am warming to personally is that the Front Office ostensibly is giving Taylor just about everything he wants in terms of coaching assistant. If they give him control over roster personnel, Taylor can change the identity of the team. In the next couple years, fans may see a new culture for the Cincinnati Bengals.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:41 AM)HuDey Wrote: As long as whoever signed off on picks like Ogbuehi and Ross is sitting it out on draft day, we should be ok.

My guess for Og was that Paul Alexander picked him and Fisher.  Ross seemed like someone other than Lewis, probably Tobin.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Has anyone thought about how the loss of Marvin Lewis could affect our drafting?

This board should nominate one person to be the official drafter and the Bengals should bring him or her in.
Problem solved! :andy:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This board should nominate one person to be the official drafter and the Bengals should bring he or she in.
Problem solved! :andy:

I nominate Wolfe!
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: My guess for Og was that Paul Alexander picked him and Fisher.  Ross seemed like someone other than Lewis, probably Tobin.  

IIRC, Tobin wanted Ross, Marvin wanted someone else. Mike Brown broke the tie and went with Ross.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I think Duke Tobin plays a bigger role than you think. Do you think Lewis wanted Ross? I dont think he wanted him at all. 
Reply/Quote
Why are member's post looking like Ancient Greek text? Shocked
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:46 AM)GodFather Wrote: I think Duke Tobin plays a bigger role than you think. Do you think Lewis wanted Ross? I dont think he wanted him at all. 

This is why I am not sold on Tobin.  OJ Howard TE was the right choice in hindsight.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
He can't be any worse at drafting LB's, which is a good thing, since we need at least a couple.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Honestly...our last, hmm, 6 drafts have been pretty mediocre, all things considered.

There have been a hand full of good players, like Joe Mixon (who everyone knew was the best RB in the class, but he fell for character issues), Tyler Boyd, Carl Lawson (who everyone knew was one of the best pass rushers in the class, but he fell for injury issues), Jessie Bates and WJIII but, by and large, we haven't drafted a legitimately elite player since 2011.

I don't think we'll be losing much with the loss of Lewis. If Lewis' claim to fame in the draft over the last 7 drafts was finding Marvin Jones in the 5th round, then I think it's safe to say he isn't anything better than average talent evaluator. Perhaps even a below average evaluator.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: IIRC, Tobin wanted Ross, Marvin wanted someone else. Mike Brown broke the tie and went with Ross.

Hopefully, finally, they've figured out Mike Brown isn't the guy to be the tiebreaker ? Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Honestly...our last, hmm, 6 drafts have been pretty mediocre, all things considered.

There have been a hand full of good players, like Joe Mixon (who everyone knew was the best RB in the class, but he fell for character issues), Tyler Boyd, Carl Lawson (who everyone knew was one of the best pass rushers in the class, but he fell for injury issues), Jessie Bates and WJIII but, by and large, we haven't drafted a legitimately elite player since 2011.

I don't think we'll be losing much with the loss of Lewis. If Lewis' claim to fame in the draft over the last 7 drafts was finding Marvin Jones in the 5th round, then I think it's safe to say he isn't anything better than average talent evaluator. Perhaps even a below average evaluator.

This.  We have drafted 1 pro bowler out of the last 7 drafts and that was Eifert whose play is limited.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:49 AM)McC Wrote: He can't be any worse at drafting LB's, which is a good thing, since we need at least a couple.

Beat me to it McC

If Marvin Lewis was such a great evaluator of talent why has he struck out so bad in his wheelhouse, LBer ?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:44 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I nominate Wolfe!
Yep - I second that.
(01-16-2019, 10:52 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hopefully, finally, they've figured out Mike Brown isn't the guy to be the tiebreaker ? Fingers crossed

Yep - I quadruple that!

About Marvin, I don't think he's been as strong in the draft as previous years so hopefully an improvement with ZT. At least rookies will probably see playing time with Zack.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:52 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hopefully, finally, they've figured out Mike Brown isn't the guy to be the tiebreaker ? Fingers crossed

I don't believe it was ever said who Marvin wanted, so he could have made a bad pick. But at the time, if I was Mike Brown, I would have sided with Tobin, as I liked John Ross's skill set. Problem is Tobin and Brown aren't the ones sending the players onto the field, calling the plays, and doing the actually coaching, it's the coaches. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote