Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drafting without Marvin Lewis
(01-17-2019, 10:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why is he lesser? If he can contribute *this* year and will do more for me *this* year how can he be lesser?
Because you keep players for more than one year.  You can't draft 53 new guys every season.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why is he lesser? If he can contribute *this* year and will do more for me *this* year how can he be lesser?

Take Hunt's case. He was drafted by the Bengals in 2013 with the 52nd pick, one pick after New England picked Jamie Collins, but before Larry Warford, Eddie Lacy, Travis Kelse, Tyrann Mathieu, Keenan Allen and Brandon Williams (to name some pro bowlers) were picked.

Eddie Lacy, for example, could have given the Bengals a few years of good running.

Tyrann Mathieu, as much of a head case that he is/was, could have filled a spot in the secondary and been a starter.

Keenan Allen would have been that missing WR we've been wishing was on the roster the last few years. An average year by Allen would have been better than all of Hunt's years combined.

Now I did just cherry pick the pro bowlers, but there were other good players to be taken. Instead we took a project and it's easy to see that we lost by doing so.

Shit, think if we had Travis Kelce!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The biggest issue I have with the Bengals is - they say they are a draft and develop team (not interested in free agents) but they have the smallest scouting staff and coaching staff in the league. makes zero sense. A scout all in probably costs a team $250K a year, so for $1.5M you could add 6 scouts. Or add 4 scouts and 2 coaches. The return on that extra spend would be multiples of the amount spent. This is why the Steelers have large scouting staff and coaching staff. They know if you want to draft and develop you need the resources to do it.

Some here, like Fred, claim Mikey is NOT cheap - he spends close to the cap each year. But that misses the point. He is cheap in the personnel side where you need the eyes and ears to find and develop players. Find better players and develop them faster. A bigger staff would also collectively make better decisions on 2nd or 3rd contracts - sot he money spent on the extra staff would easily be saved by not overspending on the likes of Dre, MJ, Vinnie Rey, Rey M, etc etc.

It is in the personnel side that Mikey's cheapass ways hurt this team the most.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:55 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Some here, like Fred, claim Mikey is NOT cheap - he spends close to the cap each year. But that misses the point.

Actually I agree that Mike is too cheap with things like scouting department.

And while I agree with being conservative in free agency I have also criticized Mike for not taking that extra step when we had a roster that could compete for a championship.  Teams can't build or re-build every year through free agency, but when you do get a good roster you need to get more aggressive in free agency to get that final crucial player or two.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:37 PM)3wt Wrote: Well he was out voted on taking Justin Smith (a great player) instead of the player he wanted:  Drew Brees

Never heard that one. Not saying you made it up, but I could easily see Mike making that one up. I don't trust him after "I wanted Mallet" morphed into "I wanted Kaeperick" after Kaep had his SB run. 

Either way, Brees wasn't viewed as a top 10 player, so at the time, it would've been viewed as moronic to take Brees that high. Secondly, remember when Brees had that bad year that led to the Chargers drafting Rivers? I imagine his entire career would've looked like that, had the Bengals drafted him. 

(01-18-2019, 11:55 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The biggest issue I have with the Bengals is - they say they are a draft and develop team (not interested in free agents) but they have the smallest scouting staff and coaching staff in the league. makes zero sense. A scout all in probably costs a team $250K a year, so for $1.5M you could add 6 scouts. Or add 4 scouts and 2 coaches. The return on that extra spend would be multiples of the amount spent. This is why the Steelers have large scouting staff and coaching staff. They know if you want to draft and develop you need the resources to do it.

Some here, like Fred, claim Mikey is NOT cheap - he spends close to the cap each year. But that misses the point. He is cheap in the personnel side where you need the eyes and ears to find and develop players. Find better players and develop them faster. A bigger staff would also collectively make better decisions on 2nd or 3rd contracts - sot he money spent on the extra staff would easily be saved by not overspending on the likes of Dre, MJ, Vinnie Rey, Rey M, etc etc.

It is in the personnel side that Mikey's cheapass ways hurt this team the most.

I've said that numerous times on here. The funny thing is, I think it comes down to stubborn "ideals" than Mike being THAT cheap. The guy is obsessed with making a point. He can get by with fewer scouts, and the fact that we keep more players around (starting) somehow proves Mike correct (in his mind). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote