Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Drafting
(01-24-2017, 01:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said teams that need to draft for immediate help.....they are in trouble. When your counting on rookies to save your season your probably already out of it. We aren't that far off honestly, just need to fix a couple things.

NE has 2 OGs starting that are a rookie and a 2nd year player...they have a DT and a DE that are 2nd year players
PITT has a TE and LT that are 2nd year players....They have a rookie NT..OLB, 2nd year....Rookie CB.....Rookie SS
ATL has a rookie TE....They have a DT, 2nd year...LB, 2nd year....2 rookie LBers...CB, 2nd year....rookie S...2nd year, Safety
GB has RB, 2nd year...They have a rookie DE...Rookie and 2nd year LBers...both CBs, 2nd year

I am not sure which of these young players got the opportunity because of injury or necessity, etc. but these are from their depth chart from the playoffs.

For comparison.....

The Bengals have CedO and Fisher that started at RT...That is it....no other players with less than 2 years experience on the depth chart for starters...Tyler Boyd I guess as 3rd WR and when AJ went down

I know you said rookies but these young guys need to get on the field...look at the teams above....the Final Four...There are 24 players with 2 years or less experience on the field playing for a Super Bowl berth
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: It feels like we're in a major backslide right now and the window is at least half closed. 

After an 0-7 record in the playoffs I would say the window was never open.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After an 0-7 record in the playoffs I would say the window was never open.

Agreed,

Looking back I'm not so sure the window has ever truly been open.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 08:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well I'd argue that this patriots haven't used FA all that much. Hogan was a lower profile FA than Lafell. Blount and Lewis were cast offs. Amendola was a constantly injured cast off. Maybe you could point to sheard but Dansby was about on par to that one.

Not saying they don't sign FAs but they are normally cast offs with issues very similar to what we do. The only real difference is their coaching and their hall of fame QB.

Falcons on the other hand did sign Sanu and Mack, so it can be done either way.

Sheard was definitely high profile to bigger football fans, and Amendola was not a cast off, just always injured so considered a risk
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 08:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well I'd argue that this patriots haven't used FA all that much. Hogan was a lower profile FA than Lafell. Blount and Lewis were cast offs. Amendola was a constantly injured cast off. Maybe you could point to sheard but Dansby was about on par to that one.

Not saying they don't sign FAs but they are normally cast offs with issues very similar to what we do. The only real difference is their coaching and their hall of fame QB.

(01-24-2017, 09:53 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Sheard was definitely high profile to bigger football fans, and Amendola was not a cast off, just always injured so considered a risk

Agreed. Also, the Pats have used higher profile FA (and trades) with past SB teams. Revis and Browner. Moss. Dillon. Seau. Rodney Harrison. Blount was a 1000 yard back with the Bucs when they originally signed him. Martellus Bennett was a 90 catch TE in 2015. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I think Rueben Foster would upgrade the whole defense.

IF Foster projects out to a Kuechly-type...wow. Fans would love him here. Kuechly is amazing.

If people think Burfict is great...they'd be amazed by Kuechly.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile per Bengals.com we're evaluating place-kickers at the Senior Bowl....not a word about Center which is a MAJOR need area or indeed Guard or Tackle either.
Reply/Quote

The difference between the Pats and Bengals is the Pats consistently develop the folks they are drafting.  The Bengals have been very good at this, but had a recent dip in the production from their most recent drafts.  There is no reason to believe they can't recover and re-build some important areas of the roster.  

This is the most important draft/FA period in the Dalton/Green Era...they have to nail this one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 03:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: Meanwhile per Bengals.com we're evaluating place-kickers at the Senior Bowl....not a word about Center which is a MAJOR need area or indeed Guard or Tackle either.

I doubt we address Tackle in the draft...if we do it will be mid to late rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:06 PM)spazz70 Wrote: NE has 2 OGs starting that are a rookie and a 2nd year player...they have a DT and a DE that are 2nd year players
PITT has a TE and LT that are 2nd year players....They have a rookie NT..OLB, 2nd year....Rookie CB.....Rookie SS
ATL has a rookie TE....They have a DT, 2nd year...LB, 2nd year....2 rookie LBers...CB, 2nd year....rookie S...2nd year, Safety
GB has RB, 2nd year...They have a rookie DE...Rookie and 2nd year LBers...both CBs, 2nd year

I am not sure which of these young players got the opportunity because of injury or necessity, etc. but these are from their depth chart from the playoffs.

For comparison.....

The Bengals have CedO and Fisher that started at RT...That is it....no other players with less than 2 years experience on the depth chart for starters...Tyler Boyd I guess as 3rd WR and when AJ went down

I know you said rookies but these young guys need to get on the field...look at the teams above....the Final Four...There are 24 players with 2 years or less experience on the field playing for a Super Bowl berth

Fear doesn't live in their buildings like it does in ours.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote