Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Drag March "Coming for your children"
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/nbc-out-proud/re-coming-children-chant-nyc-drag-march-elicits-outrage-activists-say-rcna91341

How can anyone condone anyone or anything threatening your children?

How does this help their cause?

Why do Democrats think this is acceptable? I have not seen one liberal politician speak out for our children.

This behavior is off the rails.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
One voice in a crowd, possibly someone there to mock the LGBTQ community, saying something reprehensible. Yet it is being used to bash them. K.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
They're clearly doing it ironically since the right wing media is obsessed with painting LGBTQ+ people as groomers.

With that said, I don't like the tactic. They're just opening the door to let right wing agitators claim the same thing. "Oh, we were just chanting 'Jews will not replace us' while we were carrying torches ironically. We're not actually anti-Semitic"

That isn't good for anyone.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 01:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One voice in a crowd, possibly someone there to mock the LGBTQ community, saying something reprehensible. Yet it is being used to bash them. K.

One voice? Have you watched the video? It's the entire parade chanting it............

You think that's ok to come after children?

K.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 01:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/nbc-out-proud/re-coming-children-chant-nyc-drag-march-elicits-outrage-activists-say-rcna91341
How can anyone condone anyone or anything threatening your children?
How does this help their cause?
Why do Democrats think this is acceptable? I have not seen one liberal politician speak out for our children.

Not clear that Democrats do find this "acceptable."

Some individuals have adopted the tactic of "exploding conservative heads." 

But it doesn't work very well for the Dem side any more than demagogic radio would.

“It’s really scary to us,” said Fussy Lo Mein, a drag performer and activist who was at this year’s march and declined to give their real name because of safety concerns. “It doesn’t represent everybody — it represents that individual. I thought it was a dumb idea, and I started chanting on top of it with alternate verses.”

The video elicited outrage from right-wing pundits, who called the marchers “demonic” and “evil.” GOP members of Congress tweeted that it showed legislation to outlaw gender-affirming care is warranted, and the Florida Republican Party claimed, “This is what the @FlaDems want in Florida.” 
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 01:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They're clearly doing it ironically since the right wing media is obsessed with painting LGBTQ+ people as groomers.

That's likely the case, but who can say for certain?  That said, I agree with you.

Quote:With that said, I don't like the tactic. They're just opening the door to let right wing agitators claim the same thing. "Oh, we were just chanting 'Jews will not replace us' while we were carrying torches ironically. We're not actually anti-Semitic"

Worse than that, it's confirmation of what many on the right have been saying.  Intended ironically or not, it's now on the internet forever and will be used as proof just as long.  This also dovetails perfectly with arguments against pride at elementary schools or discussion of this topic with children under 14.  The whole thing is a very bad look

Quote:That isn't good for anyone.

Indeed it is not.  I've been saying for some time that the movement has gotten a bit full of themselves and have pushed too far.  There are absolutely anti-gay bigots in the "they're coming for our children" crowd, but I think a sizeable majority are people legitimately concerned about adults other than themselves discussing these issues with their kids and the intentions of those people.  And I think that group is only continuing to grow.  This clip right here almost certainly generated thousands more.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: One voice? Have you watched the video? It's the entire parade chanting it............

K.

they were trolling right-wingers who of course are reacting exactly as they assumed they would

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:08 PM)pally Wrote: they were trolling right-wingers who of course are reacting exactly as they assumed they would

Yes, but that's also why it such a bad tactic. 

Wanting them to react as they assumed they would only confirms what masses of MAGA/DeSantis supporters
already want to believe. They;re not inclined to process irony, intended or otherwise.

And we can't be sure how independents will respond--the ones who will likely decide the election. Most are probably still fearful of MAGA, but this could produce
some voter hesitation if it continues. 
Reply/Quote
So, it seems like we have a case where the "marginalized group" now wants to poke the bear, so to speak?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, it seems like we have a case where the "marginalized group" now wants to poke the bear, so to speak?

Not the "group." 

But marginalization will produce individual actors who adopt tactics harming group interests. 

That's true in every civil rights struggle.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:08 PM)pally Wrote: they were trolling right-wingers who of course are reacting exactly as they assumed they would

You think it's ok for topless women and men in thongs and whatever else to dance out in front of children who were at the parade?
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think it's ok for topless women and men in thongs and whatever else to dance out in front of children who were at the parade?

Honestly, that's on the parents of said kids.  I've been to one pride parade in West Hollywood with my little brother, and this was well over a decade ago.  It was more lewd than the worst stuff I ever saw at Lake Havasu by a lot.  This is well known, so any parents taking kids there knows what that kid is going to exposed to, no pun intended.
Reply/Quote
These folks are free to beg for trouble. It'd be nice if they could do so in a way that doesn't convince this country to turn itself over to authoritarianism in the process, though.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think it's ok for topless women and men in thongs and whatever else to dance out in front of children who were at the parade?

As OK as the nude beaches in Florida I guess.

But then I don't see naked people and just assume that it is a sexual situation anymore than when I see a person in a bathing suit or dressed to the nines.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Worse than that, it's confirmation of what many on the right have been saying.  Intended ironically or not, it's now on the internet forever and will be used as proof just as long.  This also dovetails perfectly with arguments against pride at elementary schools or discussion of this topic with children under 14.  The whole thing is a very bad look

Yea. I can think of at least 1000 ways in which this tactic hurts the cause, but I can't think of any ways in which it may help the cause.

I get the urge to ridicule people via irony like this, I guess. If a group of people keep accusing you of the same thing over and over again with little or no evidence, it may be tempting to say "you know what? You're right. That's exactly what I'm doing. I am coming for your children. Yea...there's no other reason why I'd want to do this, you obviously know everything and you know my intentions better than I do. Are you happy now?" It may be a way to vent your frustrations.

But in a world where sound bites and headlines, especially out of context ones like this, are the only things people see or hear, giving the opposition easy points like this is just a terrible idea.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea. I can think of at least 1000 ways in which this tactic hurts the cause, but I can't think of any ways in which it may help the cause.

I get the urge to ridicule people via irony like this, I guess. If a group of people keep accusing you of the same thing over and over again with little or no evidence, it may be tempting to say "you know what? You're right. That's exactly what I'm doing. I am coming for your children. Yea...there's no other reason why I'd want to do this, you obviously know everything and you know my intentions better than I do. Are you happy now?" It may be a way to vent your frustrations.

But in a world where sound bites and headlines, especially out of context ones like this, are the only things people see or hear, giving the opposition easy points like this is just a terrible idea.

TBF though drag queens can do nothing that won't be seen by the opposition as bad.  Their mere existence is "proof" that they are "forcing it down our throats".

Have a show at a club?  Read to children at a library? Walk down the street?  None of that is acceptable to people who oppose their lifestyle choice.

Hell, the person could have been yelling that at protestors in a sarcastic manner for all I care.  Their minds were made up anyway.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea. I can think of at least 1000 ways in which this tactic hurts the cause, but I can't think of any ways in which it may help the cause.

Absolutely, and it couldn't come at a worse time.  Public sentiment is significantly turning against transgender participation in women's sports and this is likely true in other areas as well.  As Dill correctly pointed out earlier, a loud and radical minority arise in every movement, and in this case it is becoming the face of the movement in general for many people and nothing good will come of it (I would add that I am paraphrasing his point, he did not say that exactly).  The problem is that any attempts from within the movement to mitigate this issue is met with extreme hostility.  Until a sizeable number of people within the movement decide this has to stop it's only going to get worse.

(06-28-2023, 02:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: TBF though drag queens can do nothing that won't be seen by the opposition as bad.  Their mere existence is "proof" that they are "forcing it down our throats".

Have a show at a club?  Read to children at a library? Walk down the street?  None of that is acceptable to people who oppose their lifestyle choice.

Hell, the person could have been yelling that at protestors in a sarcastic manner for all I care.  Their minds were made up anyway.

You do realize you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing others of doing, right?  That being you're judging an entire group of people by the words and actions of their most extreme members.  The vast majority of people concerned about this issue are not bigots, but concerned parents or people who want women to be treated fairly.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: One voice? Have you watched the video? It's the entire parade chanting it............

K.

I've watched the video. It is one voice. The crowd chants something different. If you listen closely you can tell it's one voice and can still hear the crowds chant.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 02:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Absolutely, and it couldn't come at a worse time.  Public sentiment is significantly turning against transgender participation in women's sports and this is likely true in other areas as well.  As Dill correctly pointed out earlier, a loud and radical minority arise in every movement, and in this case it is becoming the face of the movement in general for many people and nothing good will come of it (I would add that I am paraphrasing his point, he did not say that exactly).  The problem is that any attempts from within the movement to mitigate this issue is met with extreme hostility.  Until a sizeable number of people within the movement decide this has to stop it's only going to get worse.

You do realize you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing others of doing, right?  That being you're judging an entire group of people by the words and actions of their most extreme members.  The vast majority of people concerned about this issue are not bigots, but concerned parents or people who want women to be treated fairly.

Yeah, not sure what you're talking about here.  I was talking about marchers possibly being sarcastic toward protestors and how those protestors (and those who chose to use the said march and what was said as "proof") were not going to change their minds anyway.

Extreme or not the current narrative is that drag queens are bad "because of the children".  At least that's what we were talking about in this thread.

What does the OP have to do with women being treated fairly?  
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

No pally, they were trolling and mocking every single parent, dem/ind/repub parent, who has even a minimal amount of concern about what their children are being taught, what their children are being told and what things people might be helping children to hide from their own parents.
Reply/Quote