Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirk Says Starting Role is His
I was one of the harshest critics of Dre Kirkpatrick after his first two non-factor seasons. Perhaps it was that stupid nickname: "Swag". Makes me laugh. Dude looks like his waist is about 28 inches and he couldn't run through a wet paper bag. Swag? Guy was injured a lot the first two years. Swag? Guy couldn't get on the field over old man Hall and older man Newman. Swag?

Then, something changed. Maybe you can say he was finally given more of a shot. Maybe the proverbial light just turned on. Maybe he had been working his butt off to get ready to contribute when it was his shot.

Regardless of the past, I know that he has at OTAs guarding AJ Green EVERY SNAP and even would skip a time in the rotation to match up with Green. I realize that his is no pads or contact, but the kid is already showing that he wants to be the best. Of course staying healthy is the big "IF" for every player, but I like the kid's toughness and....maybe....his swag?

There hasn't been much of that on the defensive side of the ball except Burfict in recent history. Stupid nickname notwithstanding, I think he is poised for an outstanding year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 11:52 AM)kramer1 Wrote: He played 20% of snaps in his 4th season. He's a first round pick. That's the very definition of no production.

No that is actually called a coaching decision. Simple question for you if a guy only plays 20% of the snaps yet has 7 passes defensed, 3 interceptions(tied for team lead, and one returned for a TD or a guy that plays 60% of the snaps and has 3 interceptions, none returned for TDs, and 11 passes defensed was more productive?

Being on the field does not equal production.
Reply/Quote
Dre could end up being a fine CB, he just needs to not bite on the double moves.

That seems to be his main weakness. If he gets this figured out, he could be one of the best
cause he is already a ballhawk with great instincts and length.

Dennard i think is going to be great too, he is already solid and still very young. I think the
Hall comparisons are actually giving him a bit of a low ceiling. He could be Revis good IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dre could end up being a fine CB, he just needs to not bite on the double moves.

That seems to be his main weakness. If he gets this figured out, he could be one of the best

Dennard i think is going to be great too, he is already solid and still very young. I think the
Hall comparisons are actually giving him a bit of a low ceiling. He could be Revis good IMO.

Agree with Dre and, like I said, I think it was just him trying to make the big plays to make up for lost time here and try to get it all at once.  Patience will come with experience (hopefully he's already had enough to learn it).

You think Dennard can be Revis good?!  Not disagreeing because he has unreal ball skills, great coverage abilities, and always seems to get in the right place, but that makes me excited.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 12:31 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No that is actually called a coaching decision. Simple question for you if a guy only plays 20% of the snaps yet has 7 passes defensed, 3 interceptions(tied for team lead, and one returned for a TD or a guy that plays 60% of the snaps and has 3 interceptions, none returned for TDs, and 11 passes defensed was more productive?

Being on the field does not equal production.

If he's so great then why did he only play 20% of snaps on a very poor defense? Stop the nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 02:45 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You don't think we will re-sign Jones?

He will be 32 in September, if they reduce his role, he could likely hang on another 2 or 3 years.  But, in a starter role at CB, I could see him starting to fade, after this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is the year for Dre...and this time we mean it!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dre could end up being a fine CB, he just needs to not bite on the double moves.

Dre will be a very good corner but I am with you I think Dennard can be a superstar .
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 04:02 PM)kramer1 Wrote: If he's so great then why did he only play 20% of snaps on a very poor defense? Stop the nonsense.

That was not the question now was it? I already stated it was a coaching decision. Why would you take CBs off the field that had been playing well in Newman and Jones? They are two guys that have a history of good CB play. Now please answer the question that was asked rather than deflecting because you know you are wrong.
Reply/Quote

I think no matter how you really slice it our defensive backfield is in pretty darn good shape for now and the future. Add in the addition of Shaw and we are sitting in pretty good position.
Reply/Quote