Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet soft shell - Guardian Cap
Some of you might have been aware of this years ago, but I just came across the Guardian Cap while doing research on soft shell football helmets to help reduce the occurrence of concussions.
https://www.guardiancaps.com/
[Image: cascame-2.png]

This is an outer soft shell that has been around for about five or so years. Peewees all the way up to some college programs have been using these. Primarily in practice, at least for the colleges.
It's supposed to reduce impact up to 33% and can also help avoid other bodily injuries that come in contact with helmets (e.g. helmet to the knee).
One other thing I think is really good about this solution is it simply goes over any normal helmet.
They have different solid colors and I also found a camo one from browsing through their pictures, so I would imagine schools and the NFL could get their logos on them if they decided to use these for games and wanted to keep their same helmet looks.
Here are some testimonials for those interested in reading those - https://www.guardiancaps.com/inaction/testimonials/

What are your thoughts on the Guardian Cap and its potential use in the NFL?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They need to make it less safe so idiots will stop using their head as a weapon. Go back to leather and see how many guys continue spearing.
Reply/Quote
How about no helmets? Rugby doesn’t use them.
Reply/Quote
They won't get rid of helmets because fans like the pretty helmets.

I agree that they cause more injuries than they prevent though. They're used as weapons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 05:27 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: They need to make it less safe so idiots will stop using their head as a weapon. Go back to leather and see how many guys continue spearing.

OK, Joe Paterno.
(Joe Paterno said the same thing when interviewed about it back in like 2010 or 2011)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 05:40 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: How about no helmets? Rugby doesn’t use them.

Definitely not the solution IMO. I was just at a rugby match a couple months ago between the Cincinnati Kelts and the Columbus team and one of the Kelts got knocked in the head resulting in a terrible concussion. He kept asking every few minutes where he was, if he drove there, what the number on his jersey was, etc for about a half hour or so. He was real messed up. Scary to see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Leatherheads! Leatherheads! Leatherheads! Leatherheads!
Reply/Quote
Concussions are caused by the brain striking the skull....No helmet or such will prevent them if the head is used as a weapon.
Reply/Quote
ban hits, bring back tackling ONLY! Football will be fun to watch again as offenses will score more and you'll see more exciting plays.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 09:36 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: ban hits, bring back tackling ONLY!  Football will be fun to watch again as  offenses will score more and you'll see more exciting plays.

Roger Goodell? Is that you?

How you propose on 'banning hits'??
Reply/Quote
I know the Syracuse football team wears them at most if not all practices.....how soon before the NFL mandates them in practice?

Below is an article from 2014 on the use of them? Here we are 3 years later and nothing more is being done at the top level where the athletes are supreme freaks......

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/04/so_what_exactly_is_the_black_padding_on_the_syracuse_football_helmets_seen_durin.html
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 05:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They won't get rid of helmets because fans like the pretty helmets.

I agree that they cause more injuries than they prevent though. They're used as weapons.

As much as some people are saying to just get rid of helmets because it will cause people to avoid using their heads as weapons, that won't ultimately help.
The hard shell helmet was created to primarily avoid skull fractures, and removing helmets could very much increase the chance of skull fractures again because of accidental contact to the head with some other body part or the ground.

Some type of headgear is still needed because of this. And I think the Guardian Cap helps to protect from skull fractures but also absorbing impact to reduce concussions as described on the site. It's a better solution than just "going back to leather caps" or "no headgear at all".
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I can't believe the league has forgotten about this......

[Image: mark-kelsos-head-was-used-for-helmet-storage.jpg]

[Image: steve-wallace-helmet.jpg]

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140430/BLOGS06/140439971/mark-kelso-mocked-and-shunned-for-his-padded-helmet-in-the-1990s-is

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000345553/article/former-bills-db-mark-kelso-backs-company-developing-helmet-cap

I don't think they REALLY care.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 10:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Roger Goodell? Is that you?

How you propose on 'banning hits'??

with PENALTIES!!!!!!!!! Pervert

If they can penalize for just about anything, like hits to the QB, slamming a player to the floor and "defenseless" receiver.... why not instead of going with a shoulder hit to the player, uhmmm.. go for the tackle??? yes, there will be more "missed" tackles, but that's the point, there will be more scoring in the games. Think about it this way, the bengals have always been an Offense team, the squeelers a defense team. We would naturally benefit from this and that's why the squeelers keep going to the playoffs year after year. the rules are made for them.
Reply/Quote