Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick
(01-31-2017, 09:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: People keep forgetting Keivarae Russell. He was a 3rd rounder last year who got cut by KC, but we kept him on the roster all eyar after claiming him, which means we probably liked what we saw. When you consider Dennard, WJ3, Shaw, and Russell I think we are okay. We probably let Dre walk and find another vet to step in to add depth. We can find an older CB who can act as a year or two of insurance while we let the younger guys learn. I'd also guess we draft another mid round CB, which I am okay with. Jordan Lewis in the 2nd would be great.

Supposedly...Dre and Whitworth are their priorities to sign. Zeitler is probably who they will let walk. Philosophically I don't see them paying a Guard $10 million...although the Steelers gave DeCastro $11 million.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 09:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Russell had what... 1 play from scrimmage, and he turned it into an interception???

He missed all of camp because he was with Chiefs. He has talent that's why he went in the 3rd
Round. I got to think with a full off season program he will see time next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: He missed all of camp because he was with Chiefs. He has talent that's why he went in the 3rd
Round. I got to think with a full off season program he will see time next year.

It's quite possible. I'd sign a guy like Amakumara if Kirkpatrick left.

I think Amakumara and Fairley are 2 guys we should go after on short deals.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's quite possible. I'd sign a guy like Amakumara if Kirkpatrick left.

I think Amakumara and Fairley are 2 guys we should go after on short deals.

Can't do that, it will affect comp picks Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 06:57 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They have absolutely no idea what WJ is capable of.  They do know that Dennard has trouble staying on the field and is not that great when he's on it.  Pacman is looking at a lengthy suspension, it not worse.  So that leaves you with Josh Shaw.  This team is very likely in cornerback trouble.

No they don't he's in the same position Kirk was in.

Everybody was writing Kirk off acting like his injuries didn't effect the way he developed as a player for his first 2-3 years saying he was a bust and then as soon as he consistently got meaningful playing time without being hampered by injuries we saw what he was capable of and everyone shut up all of of a sudden.

You have no idea what you have in a player when they aren't getting opportunities and they aren't healthy. We know next to nothing about Dennard except that he has been injured and he has first round talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 01:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: No they don't he's in the same position Kirk was in.

Everybody was writing Kirk off acting like his injuries didn't effect the way he developed as a player for his first 2-3 years saying he was a bust and then as soon as he consistently got meaningful playing time without being hampered by injuries we saw what he was capable of and everyone shut up all of of a sudden.

You have no idea what you have in a player when they aren't getting opportunities and they aren't healthy. We know next to nothing about Dennard except that he has been injured and he has first round talent.

Dennard was healthy some this year. He mainly played special teams and they used Shaw more.
Reply/Quote
I'm hesitant on Kirkpatrick in this FA.

-One one hand he finally turned into a decent starting CB.

-On the other hand, it took 5 years, and a contract year for that to happen... and he still has a bunch of dumb penalties.

I'm worried about all players who do nothing for a long time and then suddenly put it together in order to get paid for their contract year. We've all seen that happen a lot with other players throughout the NFL. If I am going to be paying #1 or high #2 CB money anyway, I would almost rather go after a Stephon Gilmore/Trumane Johnson, or see if the Patriots will match an offer for Malcome Butler (who's a RFA). It's looking like it will be a pretty darn strong CB FA market right now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 12:48 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's part of the problem, the free agent market has already shown that average to good players probably get 1.5-2x what they are truly worth.  Janoris Jenkins got $10 million per last year.

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Teams often "overpay" based on need or perceived talent level or scheme fit. Those deals make the headlines, but many FA deals are pretty reasonable. Then you also have times where fans overestimate a players worth. Andre Smith and Gresham are recent examples.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sometimes. Sometimes not. Teams often "overpay" based on need or perceived talent level or scheme fit. Those deals make the headlines, but many FA deals are pretty reasonable. Then you also have times where fans overestimate a players worth. Andre Smith and Gresham are recent examples.

Amakumara signed a 1 year deal for around $5 million. That's a value deal.

This is a buyers market for corner backs. There are a bunch of good ones this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 09:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: People keep forgetting Keivarae Russell. He was a 3rd rounder last year who got cut by KC, but we kept him on the roster all eyar after claiming him, which means we probably liked what we saw. When you consider Dennard, WJ3, Shaw, and Russell I think we are okay. We probably let Dre walk and find another vet to step in to add depth. We can find an older CB who can act as a year or two of insurance while we let the younger guys learn. I'd also guess we draft another mid round CB, which I am okay with. Jordan Lewis in the 2nd would be great.

Yeah, Russell has talent, i liked what i saw the little i saw from the man.

Dre was better this year but in no way is the guy elite or even irreplaceable.

Personally i would rather bring back Zeitler over Kirkpatrick.

The player that HAS to be brought back is Whitworth.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wouldn't you rather see the Bengals win a standoff with an entitled player more than win on the field?

I don't think there is a standoff because he is a free agent, he can go wherever he chooses.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals let Adam Jones go they will bring back Kirkpatrick.

If they keep Adam J they sign Whitworth and let Kirkpatrick and Zeitler go.

I would not be surprised to see the Bengals trade out of 9th Place in this draft and grab another cornerback. They will not pay guard Elite money and Kirkpatrick is not an elite cornerback so I don't believe they keep them overpriced.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 06:57 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They have absolutely no idea what WJ is capable of.  They do know that Dennard has trouble staying on the field and is not that great when he's on it.  Pacman is looking at a lengthy suspension, it not worse.  So that leaves you with Josh Shaw.  This team is very likely in cornerback trouble.

Hes a first round talent at corner. Play him. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 10:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly...Dre and Whitworth are their priorities to sign. Zeitler is probably who they will let walk. Philosophically I don't see them paying a Guard $10 million...although the Steelers gave DeCastro $11 million.

However, DeCastro has been selected All-Pro twice, as well as a few Pro-Bowl selections.  Haven't seen Zeitler listed on either of those lists.  Not sure that he quite has the resume to command what DeCastro's contract warranted.  I like Zeitler, think he would be top quality in a circumstance where he was between a good Tackle and good Center.  But, he's not 10M good.  I think, just my own opinion, that he falls in the 7-8M per category.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: However, DeCastro has been selected All-Pro twice, as well as a few Pro-Bowl selections.  Haven't seen Zeitler listed on either of those lists.  Not sure that he quite has the resume to command what DeCastro's contract warranted.  I like Zeitler, think he would be top quality in a circumstance where he was between a good Tackle and good Center.  But, he's not 10M good.  I think, just my own opinion, that he falls in the 7-8M per category.

A team like Cleveland has $100 million in cap space...they'll give a guy like Zeitler money.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 10:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A team like Cleveland has $100 million in cap space...they'll give a guy like Zeitler money.

Yeah, why not?  They did it with Steinbach.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Allow him to walk.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, why not?  They did it with Steinbach.

I wouldn't be surprised if they messed with us and offered Kirkpatrick and Zeitler large contracts.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, why not?  They did it with Steinbach.

The Browns signed Steinbach and we struggled at LG until Boling was inserted in 2012.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if they messed with us and offered Kirkpatrick and Zeitler large contracts.

Would almost be a win-win scenario for them. Even if they overpay, they're taking key players from a rival. Players Hue could certainly use. If the Bengals match, the Browns forced them to overpay.

Side note: the Browns could be scary next year. Imagine if they land Garrappolo (word is they might trade the 12th overall pick for him), and take Myles Garrett 1st overall. Plus they have all this young talent from last year, more cap space than anyone for FA and Jamie Collins will have his first full year in the system.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote