Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick - a legit concern
Unless this franchise suddenly decides that PFF grades matter and so do accountabilities you guys are dreaming !

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 07:28 PM)Brimey Wrote: No way, not with that deal. You can't give him away for free with that deal

Exactly, I wish u could get a 3rd but if Marcel Darius didn't get an high pick in return then Kirk most definitely can't bring more than an 6th or a lineman either a plus in my book.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 03:14 AM)804 fan Wrote: Exactly, I wish u could get a 3rd but if Marcel Darius didn't get an high pick in return then Kirk most definitely can't bring more than an 6th or a lineman either a plus in my book.

Kelvin benjimen got a 3rf and a 7th. And Dre k plays the most important position on defense. There will be a team that believes they can turn it around 
Reply/Quote
He's had a terrible season. William Jackson is playing like an all pro.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 06:19 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: He's had a terrible season. William Jackson is playing like an all pro.

Wouldn't say all pro but def if he had more playing time a pro bowler.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that cutting Dre results in 5.6M of dead money.  You do know how this team feels about dead money, right?  However, cutting him would result in 4M of cap savings.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/11/14890900/dre-kirkpatrick-contract-breakdown-bengals

Even if cut, that cap savings wouldn't be used on players. It'd go to the Mikey retirement fund.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 12:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Even if cut, that cap savings wouldn't be used on players. It'd go to the Mikey retirement fund.

However, Adam Jones is pretty much expendable, at this point.  To cut him, if he chooses not to retire, would only result in 668K in dead money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/adam-pacman-jones-4983/

So, just to recap, cutting Dre K would result in a cap savings of 4M, but also result in 5.6M of dead money, and cutting Jones results in a net cash savings of 6M. If the team chooses to jettison both of them, the savings of 6M offsets the 5.6M in dead money, resulting in a positive of 400K plus the 4M in cash savings from cutting Dre, for a total net gain of 4.4M.

However, if they chose to go the route of letting go of both Jones and Kirkpatrick, you could just about bet they would go CB early, and likely a second one later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals honor the contracts of underperforming players. They do this so they can avoid offering much in guaranteed money.

To anyone who doesn't believe me, look up all of our key players on Spotrac, and compare their guaranteed money to their peers.

Jim O has confirmed this is how the Bengals do business, so don't look for Dre to be cut anytime soon.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 12:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals honor the contracts of underperforming players. They do this so they can avoid offering much in guaranteed money.

To anyone who doesn't believe me, look up all of our key players on Spotrac, and compare their guaranteed money to their peers.

Jim O has confirmed this is how the Bengals do business, so don't look for Dre to be cut anytime soon.

That is completely true of the Bengals.  And, I would like to add that with the likelihood of Jones not being a Bengal next year, getting rid of Kirkpatrick would raise another serious issue.  In this day and age, a team needs 4 starting quality CBs on a roster.  Looking at the possibility of having to replace 2 starters (albeit not great ones) is almost impossible to do by draft alone, and we all know how the Bengals feel about free agency spending..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 07:09 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Not a cut candidate, but a trade candidate for sure. He can easily fetch a high 3rd. Maybe a low 2nd.

Lol from who
Reply/Quote
Should have drafted Decastro over Kirkpatrick
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 12:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is completely true of the Bengals.  And, I would like to add that with the likelihood of Jones not being a Bengal next year, getting rid of Kirkpatrick would raise another serious issue.  In this day and age, a team needs 4 starting quality CBs on a roster.  Looking at the possibility of having to replace 2 starters (albeit not great ones) is almost impossible to do by draft alone, and we all know how the Bengals feel about free agency spending..

I would think that DreK under-performing next season would more likely be a cut scenario.

This team does not release or trade players under such contracts.  It's just team history.

Unless Katie and or a new coach/GM does an about face to business as usual...  it really doesn't seem likely at all!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 12:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I would think that DreK under-performing next season would more likely be a cut scenario.

This team does not release or trade players under such contracts.  It's just team history.

Unless Katie and or a new coach/GM does an about face to business as usual...  it really doesn't seem likely at all!

I agree, completely.  I was just pointing out that aside from the Bengals business aspect of things, the idea cutting Dre presents a very real football dilemma as well.  Sure, he's underperformed, but he is an experienced starter.  I really think that Adam Jones may have played his last game, as a Bengal. The idea of heading into offseason down two starting CBs isn't a very wise thing for this team, with all of it's other needs to address. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, completely.  I was just pointing out that aside from the Bengals business aspect of things, the idea cutting Dre presents a very real football dilemma as well.  Sure, he's underperformed, but he is an experienced starter.  I really think that Adam Jones may have played his last game, as a Bengal. The idea of heading into offseason down two starting CBs isn't a very wise thing for this team, with all of it's other needs to address. 
I agree that financially it's feasible NFL contract-wise.

From a business aspect(that fits the usual Bengals model)they would be more likely inclined to draft more CBs this draft.

Resign Dennard for a reasonable price or let him walk.

Decide what to do with Pacman.  Probably cut and possibly resign if the price is right.

Next season decide what to do with DreK.

Replace with much cheaper drafted CBs.

I'm actually more upset with our current safety situation than the CBs.

Iloka is not playing to the level he once was and Williams is not so good either.  Fej is meh.

Now what?!?  Shawn's dead cap money goes down quite a bit each year after this one.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 07:54 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Kelvijn Benjamin.

(12-09-2017, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, who would you see taking an overpriced, yet severely underperforming veteran CB like Dre Kirkpatrick?

Kelvin Benjamin got a 3rd and a 7th and that was considered a steal. And in a pass happy league good cbs are a premium. I can see zero teams willing to take Dre k. For a second.
FTFY :andy:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Katie: Dad, we can get a 6th round pick for Kirkpatrick and save money.

Mike: No, 5.6 million in dead money is 5.6 million more than I'm willing to pay. Plus we can't give up on him, we took him in the first round and he has so many starts that make him a draft success right?

Katie: Dad, a 6th round pick would be the same as getting a comp pick for a guy like Bodine leaving.

Mike: Say no more, you had me at comp pick!
Reply/Quote
It cracks me up to watch this guy play. He can get burnt, pentalized, miss tackles and get run over and then make one half way decent play and he will celebrate like he’s the greatest CB of all time. The Bengals could be down by 3 touchdowns but he will still celebrate. To me, that isn’t a winning mentality. Any selfish, destructive or sucky player isn’t going to help any team win. Dre is selfish and sucky.
Reply/Quote
If DK is going to be cut/traded, it won’t be until after 2018 because the Bengals will have Dennard hitting FA and Jones likely not re-signed (if the mutual option is picked up for 2018 even).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 06:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dre's pro football focus rating for the entire season is around 49. That's 49 out of a possible 100. On pro football focus's scale that equates to a rating of "poor".

That rating would put him around 98tb best corner in the league for the season. 98th. That's close to dead last.

Dre Kirkpatrick is making 52 million dollars and just signed an extension in the off season.

This is a legit problem. Does Dre's poor play, large salary, and the emergence of Dennard and Jackson make him a cut candidate in the off-season?

Dre sucks.......always has.  Sure he'll get a pick here and there but for the most part you can count on his name being on the back of the jersey when someone gets beat.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 06:19 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: He's had a terrible season. William Jackson is playing like an all pro.
Uhhhhha terrible season?  His career has been terrible.
Reply/Quote