Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick on Jessie Bates
“His awareness. His quickness. He made a play today, where a receiver caught the ball, [Tyler Boyd] caught the ball, and he was right there,” Kirkpatrick told reporters. “He almost knocked it out.

What a ringing endorsement haha.

"Man, he's so good that he allowed a reception to our 4th string receiver and almost knocked it out, but didn't. What a play!"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/12/17451970/dre-kirkpatrick-is-already-impressed-with-bengals-rookie-jessie-bates
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 12:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: “His awareness. His quickness. He made a play today, where a receiver caught the ball, [Tyler Boyd] caught the ball, and he was right there,” Kirkpatrick told reporters. “He almost knocked it out.

"Man, he's so good that he allowed a reception to our 4th string receiver and almost knocked it out, but didn't. What a play!"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/12/17451970/dre-kirkpatrick-is-already-impressed-with-bengals-rookie-jessie-bates

Being a Rookie and in the right place to make a play is great news, why would he drill his teammate to knock it loose? During a game yes. I don't even think they are allowed contact at this point right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 12:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: “His awareness. His quickness. He made a play today, where a receiver caught the ball, [Tyler Boyd] caught the ball, and he was right there,” Kirkpatrick told reporters. “He almost knocked it out.

In addition to what the second poster said; you also don't know what kind of defense they were playing. For all we know it was in zone defense and he made an amazing instinctual play just to get there. 

Or did you not remember he's a safety? Enjoy your half empty glass of coolaid man lol
Reply/Quote
I guess players who never talk are preferrable to players who sometimes talk.. IDK..
Someone asks a question, he gives an answer.. OMG! An answer! If that's the worst thing he's ever done I think he should be cut immediately!  When will it ever end when players are permitted to answer questions?
We should demand perfectly silent players at all times.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Boyd isn't a 4th string receiver. He's the starting slot receiver.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
the point was he almost made a play. which means he didn't, I don't understand hows that is a positive . Dre is a special person I see. anyways Bates has that prototypical center fielder type body and instincts in college so I'm pretty excited. hope he works on his tackling though ..
Reply/Quote
I did not anticipate this thread being taken seriously.

I apologize.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I did not anticipate this thread being taken seriously.

I apologize.

It was way better than "I think this guy might have a chance, once he learns to anticipate receivers breaks".    Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Its camp news. I want to know if Dre was waiving his arms around while giving this small tidbit. If not, theirs a hidden message of progress.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: the point was he almost made a play.  which means he didn't,  I don't understand hows that is a positive .  Dre is a special person I see.  anyways Bates has that prototypical center fielder type body and instincts in college so I'm pretty excited.   hope he works on his tackling though ..

Bates instincts put him in position to make the play but could not make the hit because it's a teammate/OTAs. 

It seems to me Dre is trying to make a point that even though Bates is a rookie his instincts put him in the right spot. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Bates instincts put him in position to make the play but could not make the hit because it's a teammate/OTAs. 

It seems to me Dre is trying to make a point that even though Bates is a rookie his instincts put him in the right spot. 

All good points, but I understand what that OP was saying.   He did not make a play on the ball.  No one was expecting him to hit a guy to impress us.

Anytime I hear something positive out of a coach or a fellow player's mouth during the off season I'm eating it up.   But I admit what I wanted to hear is that Bates made a play on a well placed ball to our starting slot receiver who the coaches have been happy about this spring.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:   Dre is a special person I see. 

WTF
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: It seems to me Dre is trying to make a point that even though Bates is a rookie his instincts put him in the right spot. 

Exactly.

The next line in the story is Dre saying this...….“Just to see the instinct of him, that’s what we need. We need instinctive guys in the secondary to make big plays. Everything’s not x’s and o’s. Sometimes you see the ball, you just gotta go get it.”
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 02:51 PM)3wt Wrote: All good points, but I understand what that OP was saying.   He did not make a play on the ball.  No one was expecting him to hit a guy to impress us.

Anytime I hear something positive out of a coach or a fellow player's mouth during the off season I'm eating it up.   But I admit what I wanted to hear is that Bates made a play on a well placed ball to our starting slot receiver who the coaches have been happy about this spring.

Meh I take nothing seriously about plays made in OTAs/Minicamp because they aren't allowed to touch at all. (Ravens just lost 2 practices for playing press.)

Now hearing a rookie safety being in the right position...kinda tells me he's picking up the playbook.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
No wonder DKP thinks so highly of himself
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote

The important part is he was in position to make a play..

Cant make a play if you aren't in a position to do so...

Boyd isn't some nobody himself unless you forgot?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: The important part is he was in position to make a play..

Cant make a play if you aren't in a position to do so...

Boyd isn't some nobody himself unless you forgot?

I'll buy Boyd as a better than mediocre player once he produces like a better than mediocre player :)
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 01:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'll buy Boyd as a better than mediocre player once he produces like a better than mediocre player :)

22 cathes, 225 yards and 2 touchdowns last year..... here come the excuses. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 01:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'll buy Boyd as a better than mediocre player once he produces like a better than mediocre player :)

He produced better than a mediocre player his rookies season (54th among WRs in receptions) and missed 4 gams last year with a sprained MCL.
Reply/Quote

He more proven on an NFL field that our rookie Saftey.
Reply/Quote