Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dre is Cut
One more pro bowl type season n Geno will be the second Bengal headed to Canton.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 01:31 PM)J24 Wrote: Solid player but never worth the second Contact he signed. I think a lot of people took it out on Dre that we signed him over Whitworth

Count me in that group. I thought we could replace Dre a lot easier than we could replace Whit--turns out I was right. 

Also didn't really like the pick when we drafted him. He was billed as a zone corner. Didn't make sense when we were a man team. I wanted Decastro, but Zeitler worked out well. As I've said before, why draft a guard that high if you aren't planning on re-signing him? A 1st round pick should play for you for 8-10 years minimum. 

I was good with the idea of drafting a corner that year, but it didn't seem like Dre was the right fit. I would have rather seen a press man corner drafted that could tackle well. But I supported him regardless. He's been a great team-mate and a class act. He's just not been amazing on the field over the years--above average at best I would say.

Hindsight would say D. Hightower and Zeitler would have been the way to go, and then a corner later. Or Zeitler and Jenkins. But that is hindsight.

I wish Dre well and I'd like to see Zim or someone turn his career around. At this point though, what you see is probably what you'll get from Dre.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He would drop should have been interceptions, get penalties, run crappy tackle angles and celebrate like he was the most talented corner in the league if he made a play or if the receiver botched a play. It’s not an easy position and he wasn’t terrible, it’s just that I noticed almost every negative thing because of how animated he was when he did something even mediocre. I’m older and don’t dig all of that. I can kinda say ok, whatever on a spectacular play or at least be winning. He would strut when a receiver dropped a ball and the Bengals were down by 3 touchdowns. I don’t wish him anything negative, I just don’t identify with that kinda player.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 01:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not so sure about Williams being gone.  They seem to view him as the leader of the defense, and have mentioned using all 3 of Bates, Williams, and Bell in 3 safety packages as a benefit of signing Bell.  I also see Williams as a guy that can line up as a LB when needed.   I definitely do not consider his departure a foregone conclusion like Dre and Dalton.

I'm a little curious about the status of Geno and Carlos at this point.  They both make a shitload of money and have been around forever.  Dunlap still plays at a high level, but Geno is very up and down, showing signs of decline, though not quite there yet.

There are many good DTs that could be available to us in round 2 or 3.  Madibuike, Blacklock, Gallimore, etc are all likely to be options.  The switch to a hybrid 3-4 doesn't quite favor Geno's strengths, either.  On top of that, the team just shelled out a huge deal to Reader, a young player who will anchor the DT group for years to come as Geno continues to age.

Look at the guys considered to be Geno's peers.  Suh, McCoy, and Jurrell Casey were all once considered to top guys at that spot along with Atkins.  Not one of those guys is on their original team, and all have declined significantly.  Only Donald remains as a stud, and he's a got a few less years on him than most of those guys.

I think gene could be a surprise post-draft cut if things play out in a particular way.  I think Carlos is safe.  There aren't enough pass rushers on the team to cut bait, and he's still a terrific player.  

1.) The 3-4 thing is so overblown we play  more 4-2-5 than anything else. 
2.)Geno's peers are not Casey, McCoy, & Suh that's an insult to Geno. He is way better than those three and it is not close.
3.) I wouldn't be shocked if he is cut but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a dumb move.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: You mean the pass a receiver dropped who Dre was about 7 yards away from Hilarious

Dre Kirkpatrick was into social distancing before it was cool.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, now we are back under the cap making a Dalton trade/cut not needed as of yet

Andy Dalton isn’t going anywhere any time soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:55 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: When told about the release, Dre was caught off guard as he was still celebrating his last pass broken up.

Now who are we going to have to celebrate like he made a highlight play, when his receiver gets separation, but is overthrown or drops the pass?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:44 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: He was the Germaine Gresham of the defense. Never failed to deliver a penalty at the worst possible time.

Really unfair.

Kirkpatrick delivered penalties due to emotions/making dumb decisions.

Gresham delivered penalties due to Bratkowski thinking he should be like Reggie Kelly and Gruden thinking that having him block players like Cameron Wake 1-on-1 was a good idea.

- - - - - - - - -

Gresham is a 2x Pro Bowler who was the second best Bengals TE in franchise history. He doesn't deserve the crap he gets just because he wasn't Gronk and his TE coach was Jonathan Hayes.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 05:16 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He would drop should have been interceptions, get penalties, run crappy tackle angles and celebrate like he was the most talented corner in the league if he made a play or if the receiver botched a play. It’s not an easy position and he wasn’t terrible, it’s just that I noticed almost every negative thing because of how animated he was when he did something even mediocre. I’m older and don’t dig all of that. I can kinda say ok, whatever on a spectacular play or at least be winning. He would strut when a receiver dropped a ball and the Bengals were down by 3 touchdowns. I don’t wish him anything negative, I just don’t identify with that kinda player.

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. 

I'm not totally opposed to some celebration and swagger but know the damn situation. When you're down by 30 in a game and have lost 7 of the last 8 games it's not exactly the time to act like your play put the team into the playoffs. Especially when the ball landed 15 yards away from you and the receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 05:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: One more pro bowl type season n Geno will be the second Bengal headed to Canton.

I think with Reader and maybe any other additional help from the draft and Geno will end up getting it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:47 AM)jason Wrote: Good luck to Dre wherever he ends up... Unless it's in the division.

He was a part of the best sustained run of success in team history. Personally I don't see a need for all the good riddance.

I don't know, the Steelers were supposedly interested in him when the Bengals signed him to the extension. Seeing him in their secondary getting flagged for PI and defensive holding would be kinda nice.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 04:50 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You actually said that Geno could be a draft day cut??? LMFAOROTF!!!!
That would never ever happen Sam.
He's the only player who went to the pro bowl for the Bengals last year, and one of the only players left on the team with any street cred besides AJ, Mixon, Boyd, and Dunlap.
He's a Hall of Fame candidate who is coveted by the Bengals Franchise.
He looked like he has been on the decline b/c the Bengals have refused to give him a running mate of any sort.
Billings was supposed to be that type of guy but he had surgery on his knee his rookie year and hasn't been the player they had hoped.
Name a player who could also draw double teams like Donald has had the luck of having next to him for the last few years.
Geno is the only guy who draws double teams every game.
So, let's see how he does with Reader next to him and not as many snaps this year before you start sending our HOFer to the trash heap!? Sarcasm
People are really crapping on Billings since he left.  It wasn't long ago that he was the "must sign" UFA for this team after Green.  Like a few weeks ago, literally.  Let's not act like he's chopped liver just because Reader is in the fold.  If he were extended most would have agreed with the move.  I'd venture a guess that pretty much nobody would have gone with nose tackle as the position that this team was most likely to spend huge money on in outside free agency.  

This team is operating very differently than they have in the past.  They have a new staff that's aggressively re-tooling the roster.  Teams all around the league let go of terrific players over the age of 30 when it comes time to clear cap/bring in new talent.  Every guy I mentioned was considered indispensable to their team a short time ago.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He was never quite as bad as some fans claimed, but I’m glad to be moving on.

This team is going to look drastically different whenever we see football next. I can’t wait.

He had his moments and I always wanted to see him succeed but he led the league in penalty yards more than once and that really hurts a team. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:01 PM)jason Wrote: Mike Zimmer's never said that many words without dropping an F bomb.

Ok, maybe it goes more like this..

"Dre?  Coach Zimmer here.  I need you to come play for me this season, how's 2 years, $16 effin' million sound?"   Ninja

Inre; the OP?  Hell yes!  It seems like every time I have a really heavy day at work lately, the Bengals make another great move.   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:44 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: He was the Germaine Gresham of the defense. Never failed to deliver a penalty at the worst possible time.

Well said.Super glad to see him go.?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: DeCastro was not that much better than Zeitler.  In fact Zeitler got paid more in free agency.  DeCastro instead of Zeitler would not have made a huge difference in our offense.

Decastro never hit free agency. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 06:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Really unfair.

Gresham delivered penalties due to Bratkowski thinking he should be like Reggie Kelly and Gruden thinking that having him block players like Cameron Wake 1-on-1 was a good idea.

- - - - - - - - -

Gresham is a 2x Pro Bowler who was the second best Bengals TE in franchise history. He doesn't deserve the crap he gets just because he wasn't Gronk and his TE coach was Jonathan Hayes.

Gresham is always getting kicked around by fans.

Dude wasted he peak years of youth & talent with this team.

Oh well. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 06:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Dre Kirkpatrick was into social distancing before it was cool.

He played that 6ft apart coverage like a boss.

[Image: like-a-boss-andy-samberg.gif?fit=498%2C226&ssl=1]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As to the subject of Dre, I think he was a quality starter for a reasonable amount of time. All in all, he really was a pretty good deep-ball corner. Early on I'd argue that he was one of the best in the league. His physicality left something to be desired, but that could be said for a lot of corners around the league. At times it seemed like he was lacking in the football IQ department, too.

To me, this isn't something to get all excited about. He's a guy that, for the most part, did what he was drafted to do. Anarumo obviously prefers more physical corners. With that and his unfortunate recent injury, the time was right to move on.

He could have been better, but the team could have done a hell of a lot worse than Dre Kirkpatrick with that pick back in 2012.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 06:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Really unfair.

- - - - - - - - -

Dan Ross and Rodney Holman say WTF??!!!  And Tony McGee is a little pissed too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote