Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dre our worst contract?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/each-nfl-team%E2%80%99s-worst-contract/ss-AAqV5kA?li=BBnba9I#image=8

CINCINNATI BENGALS – DRE KIRKPATRICK, CORNERBACK
The Bengals invested a tremendous amount in Dre Kirkpatrick, making him their first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Then, upon expiration of his rookie contract, Cincinnati signed him to a five-year, $52.5 million deal with a $7 million singing bonus and $12 million guaranteed. And while those numbers aren’t obscene for a top-end cornerback, Kirkpatrick recorded only three interceptions last season (nine in his career) and finished outside the top 50 at his position courtesy of Pro Football Focus.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:53 AM)kdgjr Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/each-nfl-team%E2%80%99s-worst-contract/ss-AAqV5kA?li=BBnba9I#image=8

The Bengals invested a tremendous amount in Dre Kirkpatrick, making him their first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Then, upon expiration of his rookie contract, Cincinnati signed him to a five-year, $52.5 million deal with a $7 million singing bonus and $12 million guaranteed. And while those numbers aren’t obscene for a top-end cornerback, Kirkpatrick recorded only three interceptions last season (nine in his career) and finished outside the top 50 at his position courtesy of Pro Football Focus.

Thoughts?

The guaranteed money is pretty low, so I don't view it as a bad contract. He can be cut after 2019 and there would only be $2.8 mill dead cap in 2020 and $1.4 mill dead cap in 2021.
However, as we know with Mike Brown, the Bengals like to honor their contracts, so if DK's play doesn't justify the contract, DK might still be kept vs cut simply for the sake of "honoring the contract."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:53 AM)kdgjr Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/each-nfl-team%E2%80%99s-worst-contract/ss-AAqV5kA?li=BBnba9I#image=8

Thoughts?

I think it is a fair contract for both sides. Why do fans out their faith in PFF? You do realize they have no clue on the roles and responsibilities play by play for any player. How do we put 100% faith in an analysis system that is severely flawed? 

The top CB's make almost twice as much with bigger guaranteed money so I have no issues paying him 50 to 60% of what the top guys make and will make in the future as the cap escalates so will CB contracts.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If thats our worst contract then we are in damn good shape.
Reply/Quote
I can live with it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I thought it was interesting that two former Bengal players were also listed as "worst contracts" in that slide series: Jermaine Gresham for Arizona and Marvin Jones for Detroit.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 11:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: If thats our worst contract then we are in damn good shape.

/thread
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The guaranteed money is pretty low, so I don't view it as a bad contract. He can be cut after 2019 and there would only be $2.8 mill dead cap in 2020 and $1.4 mill dead cap in 2021.
However, as we know with Mike Brown, the Bengals like to honor their contracts, so if DK's play doesn't justify the contract, DK might still be kept vs cut simply for the sake of "honoring the contract."

Sounds good to me and Dre was the best CB at preventing the deep ball last year which is a great thing to be the best at.

And i have been a Dre hater in the past. As Harley says his flamoyancy is annoying though.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 12:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds good to me and Dre was the best CB at preventing the deep ball last year which is a great thing to be the best at.

And i have been a Dre hater in the past. As Harley says his flamoyancy is annoying though.

My only gripe with Dre is, just shut up and play! He gets beats a few times and then makes a play and has to celebrate about it...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 11:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: If thats our worst contract then we are in damn good shape.

This. Hell I take it as a compliment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 12:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds good to me and Dre was the best CB at preventing the deep ball last year which is a great thing to be the best at.

Very, but not nearly as much as Pacman  Whatever We can only hope Dre doesn't pick up more bad habits from that putz
Reply/Quote
I really don't think we have a bad contract.

As I've posted numerous times, the salary cap is rising so fast...sometimes $10 million a year that fans view current salaries like they did 10 years ago. NFL inflation is huge.

$10 million today is like $7.5 million in 2012.
Reply/Quote
I came across that article and was so sure it was going to be Michael Johnson. We actually get something out of Dre K. He's basically our leader at CB once Jones is too old to play. Money well spent.

Reply/Quote
The money is getting out of hand just like baseball. It is what it is.

I mean, Matthew Stafford is the highest paid player in NFL history.

Reply/Quote
Theres a dancing incentive in there. He dances and dramatizes after every play. Looks like he's doing a Jenny Craig work out!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 11:44 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I thought it was interesting that two former Bengal players were also listed as "worst contracts" in that slide series: Jermaine Gresham for Arizona and Marvin Jones for Detroit.

So, are you saying that perhaps the Bengals were wise to let those players leave, when they did?  Because, if you are, I agree with you.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

We could have had Joe Haden for less money. That's my first thought.

My second thought is that Kirkpatrick will probably have a decent year. He's never had a great season, so I expect a usual season from him.

Reply/Quote
Dre is superior to Haden. Also plenty of easy outs in the contract so like people have said. If that's the worst contract all is well.
Reply/Quote
Generally speaking, if that's the worst contract the club has, they're doing OK. I think they just had to pick one. In 2 years, Dre K will look "underpaid" or "paid about right" or whatever. I'm pretty sure most thought Dalton's contract was one of the worst in the league when he signed it.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:43 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Generally speaking, if that's the worst contract the club has, they're doing OK. I think they just had to pick one. In 2 years, Dre K will look "underpaid" or "paid about right" or whatever. I'm pretty sure most thought Dalton's contract was one of the worst in the league when he signed it.

Oh they did!!
Reply/Quote