Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft
Just wanted to make a little dream scenario before the real moves start happening.

Our free agents are pretty underwhelming. So playing our usual game and hoping for comp picks should not be a plan this year. I think we let the new coach get some key pieces.

Spotrac says we have almost $50 million to spend for 2019. We have none of our own free agents to put big money into. And I love AJ. But the foot is starting to worry me. Dumping big money into WRs usually doesn't work out. So I am holding off on giving him a big extension.

*First we do the necessary thing and bolster the OL with proven players so our offense can hit the ground running.

1. Trent Brown - OT Patriots - He is a mammoth OT. 6'8" 380. At 25 years old he has a lot of good years left. Broke in to the league as a RT. Patriots robbed the 49ers in a draft day trade last year and he has been the Patriots starting LT this year. We pony up some big bucks for our new starting RT.

11.5 mil this year. 4 year 46 million. Starting tackles are expensive.

2. Mitch Morse - C Chiefs - Yep a C. Putting Price back where he played most of his college ball and plugging him in at RG. Improvement at C and improvement at RG. Chiefs have managed a high powered offense with Morse at C. Starting OL looks like Glenn, Boling, Morse, Price, Brown.

8 mil this year. 4 year 32 million.

*Then we turn our attention to LB.

3. Thomas Davis - LB Panthers - Old man Davis. Our D needs a new leadership voice. A tougher than nails 13 year vet still playing at a high level who lays it all on the line is the type of leader this D needs.

5 mil one year.

4. Deone Bucannon - LB Cards - Former college safety first round pick who has converted to LB. His career started out promising. But he hasn't lived up to the first round expectations. Not the best against the run. But we could use a LB who can cover and run. Chess piece type. Here we go. He was on his 5th year option in 2018 and the Cards tried to trade him and found no takers. So he shouldn't get that type of money. Short 2 year deal.

4 mil this year. 2 year 8 million.

5. Preston Brown - Our Free Agent - We still need a thumper in the middle. I think it was just a down year for Brown. We need to bring him back.

4 mil this year. 3 year 15 million

*Then we do something about our TE depth by hurting a couple division foes and taking their guys.

6. Tyler Eifert - Our Free Agent- He comes back again. If he accepts an incentive laden deal.

2 mil this year worth up to 8 with incentives based on games played catches and TDs.

7. Nick Boyle - TE Ravens - Quality blocker. Hard nosed throw back TE.

3 mil this year. 3 year 9 million.

8. Jesse James - TE Steelers - Nothing spectacular. A solid TE. Has played 16 games each of the previous 3 seasons. Crazy right?

4 mil this year. 3 year 12 million.

*Icing on the cake

9. Henry Anderson - DT Jets - I like Glasgow. I like Billings. I like Ringo. I don't think either of the 3 is a true stud though. I want to put a stud next to Geno while he still has some good years left. Henry Anderson was a monster as a rookie but tore his ACL late in the year. It made his second year rocky and he said he was never healthy. His 3rd year he was the 15th ranked run stopper but it was again cut short when he got another fluke injury, this time a laryngeal fracture (yea some kind of weird neck/throat shit). The Colts then traded him to the Jets for cheap. He had the best year of his career this year. 12th most pressures in the league from the interior and 7 sacks. Dude is a brute. At 6'6" 300lbs I have wanted him on my team since watching him beat guys up at Stanford. Only 27, I think this is a player on the rise. He is going to get some coin.

8 mil this year. 3 year 24 million.

49.5 million total for 2 of our own and 7 outside free agents who are going to contribute a ton. Then we would be able to use the draft to go best player available. And hopefully be aggressive with the boatload of picks we are going to have and make some moves in the draft or use the late picks to acquire some vets that will come in and contribute right away.
Reply/Quote
So we let Dennard walk?
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I do not like # 3-4, & 6. Everything else seems solid.  

Brown just seemed slow and I am not sure he is worth a 3 year contract.  
I am ready to move on from Eifert because I worry about his health and I hope he just retires.  Team cannot count on him to be healthy.  

I agree that Price should be moved to RG, at least see how he does there (as I stated earlier in the season).  Keep Hopkins as a backup Center and get someone else like you said. I am not giving up on Price.  He had injuries and a Lisfranc Sprain is quite serious for a lineman.  I think Price had difficulties because of the speed of the game as a rookie but also, Hart and the RG were horrendous.  I just think his natural position is RG.  

I hate to say this but I am ready to move on from AJ Green.  He is a freak athlete but his cost in terms of next contract will be high.  Too high.  

I have mixed feelings regarding Dalton.  I think he can be a top tier QB if provided a decent O-Line but I do not think he is elite.  I do not think the team should re-up his contract and begin looking at 2020 draft for a new QB.  

In 2019 draft, the Bengals must hit home runs on the 1-2 rounds and hopefully get that stud Mike backer and maybe TE/WR.  Burfict should be released.  They should look for a raw but talented backer in round  4 and grab the best OT available in round 3.  

I also would look for them to grab a play maker at safety to help Bates.  I hate to say this but they also need another CB.  

It will take two years to upgrade team personnel.  I thought the Bengals did well given the injuries and limited talent.  They almost beat the Steelers twice and almost swept Ravens.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Can we at least see what AJ is looking for on his next contract before we “move on” from him? He’s expressed his desire to STAY in Cincinnati and be a Bengal (unlike everyone’s hero Big Whit). He’s not some diva WR that’s going to demand a big payday either. He could very well take a team friendly deal, which would help free up money to be used elsewhere, and let the Bengals retain a true #1 WR at a fair price.

We’re either going to keep Dalton because under a new HC he’ll flourish, and him and AJ have as good of chemistry as any QB/WR in the league, or we draft Dalton’s replacement in the next year or two, in which case having a stud WR like AJ for him will also be beneficial.

Reply/Quote
There are some issues here.

1. If Tyler Eifert can earn up to 8 million that means his cap hit would be 8 million not 2 so it adds up to 55.5.

But let's go ahead with the 2 million Eifert cap hit.

2. Over the cap has the Bengals at 52 million cap space and you have spent up to 49.5. Leaving 2.5 million. The 11th pick of the draft costs 4 million a year so you would not be able to sign any of your draft picks.

But let's say you cut enough free agents to fit in the draft picks which brings us to issue number....

3. You would be letting both Tyler Boyd and AJ Green go into contract years without an extension. Both would be allowed to enter free agency. ( After rereading I see you would let AJ walk...which would be just ugh.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we at least see what AJ is looking for on his next contract before we “move on” from him? He’s expressed his desire to STAY in Cincinnati and be a Bengal (unlike everyone’s hero Big Whit). He’s not some diva WR that’s going to demand a big payday either. He could very well take a team friendly deal, which would help free up money to be used elsewhere, and let the Bengals retain a true #1 WR at a fair price.

We’re either going to keep Dalton because under a new HC he’ll flourish, and him and AJ have as good of chemistry as any QB/WR in the league, or we draft Dalton’s replacement in the next year or two, in which case having a stud WR like AJ for him will also be beneficial.

Hasnt Whit come out and said he wanted to stay but the Bengals offer was a significant amount lower than every other offer? So yea totally his fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:08 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Hasnt Whit come out and said he wanted to stay but the Bengals offer was a significant amount lower than every other offer? So yea totally his fault.

I have no idea. I’ve heard several different accounts of it all. I know we offered him a deal, and he didn’t take it because LA was willing to give him an extra year or something. He wanted out though, he basically had a hissy fit when we drafted Og and Fisher. He probably would have left even if the deals were exactly the same.

Meanwhile we have another star player in AJ who actually wants to stay here who people can’t wait to trade or “move on from.”

I don’t get it.

Reply/Quote
Quote:They almost beat the Steelers twice and almost swept Ravens.
Like I said, They've been amazingly almost successful.. which in real terms means...[insert variation of lol here]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
*500K for EIfert worth up to 8 million with incentives based on games played catches and TDs.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I have no idea. I’ve heard several different accounts of it all. I know we offered him a deal, and he didn’t take it because LA was willing to give him an extra year or something. He wanted out though, he basically had a hissy fit when we drafted Og and Fisher. He probably would have left even if the deals were exactly the same.

Meanwhile we have another star player in AJ who actually wants to stay here who people can’t wait to trade or “move on from.”

I don’t get it.

The money Whit got offered for the 1st year was the same, but the Bengals only offered a 1 year deal and Whit wanted the 3 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:42 AM)Synric Wrote: There are some issues here.

1. If Tyler Eifert can earn up to 8 million that means his cap hit would be 8 million not 2 so it adds up to 55.5.

But let's go ahead with the 2 million Eifert cap hit.

2. Over the cap has the Bengals at 52 million cap space
and you have spent up to 49.5. Leaving 2.5 million. The 11th pick of the draft costs 4 million a year so you would not be able to sign any of your draft picks.

But let's say you cut enough free agents to fit in the draft picks which brings us to issue number....

3. You would be letting both Tyler Boyd and AJ Green go into contract years without an extension. Both would be allowed to enter free agency. ( After rereading I see you would let AJ walk...which would be just ugh.)

Getting rid of a couple of burdensome contracts could change that figure, significantly.  For example, by eliminating the Cordy Glenn and Vontaze Burfict contracts would add just over $16M in cap space.

I would think that having 68M in available space would allow for some vast improvements to be made on the OL and LB corps, and possibly even get us a TE and bolster the Secondary.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Getting rid of a couple of burdensome contracts could change that figure, significantly.  For example, by eliminating the Cordy Glenn and Vontaze Burfict contracts would add just over $16M in cap space.

I would think that having 68M in available space would allow for some vast improvements to be made on the OL and LB corps, and possibly even get us a TE and bolster the Secondary.

I think they could easily replace DreK and his contract.

I'm not a fan of Dennard but if they moved/cut Dre, they could sign him and draft or sign another FA CB.

Not sure what the dead cap would be from doing this?

I know the team has bigger holes/problems but if they improve the pass rush they could take some chances here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:59 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they could easily replace DreK and his contract.

I'm not a fan of Dennard but if they moved/cut Dre, they could sign him and draft or sign another FA CB.

Not sure what the dead cap would be from doing this?

I know the team has bigger holes/problems but if they improve the pass rush they could take some chances here.

Getting rid of Dre K. would open up 6.75M in space, after eating 4.2M in dead money.  The problem with moving him now is that you are now forced to add a full time starting CB, and I don't know that you're going to find anyone significantly better for any less money.  Like it or not, we might be stuck with Dre K. for at least another year.  Next year, his dead money/cap savings ratio improves by over 2M.  So by adding his potential replacement this year makes it much more profitable to get rid of him next year.

Additionally, we really have no clue what type of defense that Taylor will want to see run, who the prospective DC candidates even are, or how much freedom with roster changes the new regime will get.  Playing the speculation game was pretty easy under the Marvin Lewis regime, as he was pretty boring and consistent.  Maybe the new guy wants to blow it all up, and start from scratch?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 11:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Getting rid of Dre K. would open up 6.75M in space, after eating 4.2M in dead money.  The problem with moving him now is that you are now forced to add a full time starting CB, and I don't know that you're going to find anyone significantly better for any less money.  Like it or not, we might be stuck with Dre K. for at least another year.  Next year, his dead money/cap savings ratio improves by over 2M.  So by adding his potential replacement this year makes it much more profitable to get rid of him next year.

Additionally, we really have no clue what type of defense that Taylor will want to see run, who the prospective DC candidates even are, or how much freedom with roster changes the new regime will get.  Playing the speculation game was pretty easy under the Marvin Lewis regime, as he was pretty boring and consistent.  Maybe the new guy wants to blow it all up, and start from scratch?

I agree.

It's really hard to speculate.

At first glance overall by numbers this team looks like it has real problems at defense.

After Marvin took over it did improve so perhaps coaching and supplementing with LBs and improving the pass rush would be the solution.

With a new DC and HC at the helm who really knows if they'll do that or move on from overpaid & underperforming players.

I just worry they'll sink money in Dennard and keep DreK.

That's a hell of a lot of money invested into a strong history of lack of production.

Whatever they decide they absolutely have to improve the CB's turnover ratio... and fast!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 11:28 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree.

It's really hard to speculate.

At first glance overall by numbers this team looks like it has real problems at defense.

After Marvin took over it did improve so perhaps coaching and supplementing with LBs and improving the pass rush would be the solution.

With a new DC and HC at the helm who really knows if they'll do that or move on from overpaid & underperforming players.

I just worry they'll sink money in Dennard and keep DreK.

That's a hell of a lot of money invested into a strong history of lack of production.

Whatever they decide they absolutely have to improve the CB's turnover ratio... and fast!

By improving the play of the LBs could really aid in that dept.  If a team has LBs that can cover the underneath stuff, it frees up the Secondary from having to cover the entire damn field..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By improving the play of the LBs could really aid in that dept.  If a team has LBs that can cover the underneath stuff, it frees up the Secondary from having to cover the entire damn field..

Better teach those CBs how to hang onto the damn ball too!

Stone hands o' plenty in our CB group.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:57 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: So we let Dennard walk?

Yep unless he takes veteran minimum. Darius Philips made more plays that impressed me already than Dennard his entire career here.
Reply/Quote
I think your numbers are way off. If we spend all that money we have no money to pay the rookies, no money for extensions (and we should extend Boyd this summer), no money for an injury pad, and many of those sites only count the top 51, rather than 53, players. All that typically costs 15-17 million.

Overthecap.com says we have 52 million. Once we cut Burfict, and we will, we have about 58 million. Then we need to make offers to some of our RFA and ERFA players, including (Redmond, Hopkins, Tupou, McRae and Wilson; whether we let a guy like Tupou walk is immaterial). Hopkins is complicated, because an original round tender is about 2 million, but not compensation if we lose him. A 2nd round tender is about 3 million, and we're virtually guaranteed to keep him. I think we lose him if we only pay 2 million, so I'm going to figure on 3 million. The other 4 get minimum salary, bringing us back down to a little over 55 million.

Put the transition tag on Denard, at 12.224 million, brings us down to 43.6 million (rounding). Corners are expensive, and we need them in a passing league. Nickel CB spends more time on the field than a third LB, so we drop some cash on this. Kirkpatrick isn't going anywhere either.

Re-sign Uzomah to an APY of about 5 million, bringing us down to 39 million. Gutty player in an otherwise empty TE room.

External free agents: Sign Ja'Waun James from the Dolphins for an APY of about 10 million. Just to be conservative I'm going to say 11 million. Then sign Jordan Hicks from Philly, APY of about 6 million. New coach Taylor has a connection to James from Miami days, and Hicks is a Cincy product. This brings us down to 24.3 million.

So if we want to pay our rookies, extend Boyd, be able to sign anybody at all when guys get hurt next year, etc, we then have 6-7 million left, not 24.3 million.

We use that on some combination of OT depth, Michael Johnson, Preston Brown, back up FS, etc. Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to say Preston Brown at 1 year, 4 million, Bobby Hart at 1 year, 2.5 million, and a safety like Kurt Coleman, whom New Orleans is sure to cut, at 1 year, 2 million. This brings us to 17.6 million. You figure in minimum type contracts for guys like Vinny Rey, Matt Lengel, and 2-3 minimum salary vets, and we're around or slightly under 17 million.

*This* is realistic. I'm telling you, use the free agency calculator at Overthecap.com, it's far better for thinking up an offseason: https://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals/

Then in the first round pick a blue chip defender at any position other than safety, and a TE on day 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:00 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yep unless he takes veteran minimum. Darius Philips made more plays that impressed me already than Dennard his entire career here.

Ok, well some of you guys are going to be shocked at the money Dennard gets on the open market. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:11 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I do not like # 3-4, & 6. Everything else seems solid.  

Brown just seemed slow and I am not sure he is worth a 3 year contract.  
I am ready to move on from Eifert because I worry about his health and I hope he just retires.  Team cannot count on him to be healthy.  

I agree that Price should be moved to RG, at least see how he does there (as I stated earlier in the season).  Keep Hopkins as a backup Center and get someone else like you said. I am not giving up on Price.  He had injuries and a Lisfranc Sprain is quite serious for a lineman.  I think Price had difficulties because of the speed of the game as a rookie but also, Hart and the RG were horrendous.  I just think his natural position is RG.  

I hate to say this but I am ready to move on from AJ Green.  He is a freak athlete but his cost in terms of next contract will be high.  Too high.  

I have mixed feelings regarding Dalton.  I think he can be a top tier QB if provided a decent O-Line but I do not think he is elite.  I do not think the team should re-up his contract and begin looking at 2020 draft for a new QB.  

In 2019 draft, the Bengals must hit home runs on the 1-2 rounds and hopefully get that stud Mike backer and maybe TE/WR.  Burfict should be released.  They should look for a raw but talented backer in round  4 and grab the best OT available in round 3.  

I also would look for them to grab a play maker at safety to help Bates.  I hate to say this but they also need another CB.  

It will take two years to upgrade team personnel.  I thought the Bengals did well given the injuries and limited talent.  They almost beat the Steelers twice and almost swept Ravens.

I went in with intentions on spending a bunch on LBs. Looking through the available free agent list it just wasnt there. KJ Wright and Mosley but i dont think they leave their respective teams. They are head and shoulders above everyone else. 

I was a toss up between Bucannon and Kwon Alexander. Went Bucannon since Kwon is coming off ACL and has longer injury history. Thomas Davis wasnt my first choice. But the Carolina games i watched this year he was still flashing. Brown was hurt in the first game and never seemed right. Im hoping after the down year we can get him cheap.

Im ready to move on from Eifert too. Unless he is open to a cheap incentive laden contract. And that shouldnt be the end of improvements at the position.

I still like Price as a starter. I just want to take out a big part of the mental aspect and responsibilities for him and let him go maul people feom his natural RG spot. And let him not have to think so much about snapping the ball properly.
Reply/Quote