Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft
(01-13-2019, 01:13 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: External free agents: Sign Ja'Waun James from the Dolphins for an APY of about 10 million. Just to be conservative I'm going to say 11 million. Then sign Jordan Hicks from Philly, APY of about 6 million. New coach Taylor has a connection to James from Miami days, and Hicks is a Cincy product. This brings us down to 24.3 million.

When you are signing James from Miami, are you also letting go of the Cordy Glenn contract?  There's 9.5M in space to be saved there, with 0 dead money to contend with. (since I saw you voiding the Burfict contract)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:08 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Hasnt Whit come out and said he wanted to stay but the Bengals offer was a significant amount lower than every other offer? So yea totally his fault.

Cincinnati Bengals offered him a one-year contract and he wanted a multiple-year contract.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we at least see what AJ is looking for on his next contract before we “move on” from him? He’s expressed his desire to STAY in Cincinnati and be a Bengal (unlike everyone’s hero Big Whit). He’s not some diva WR that’s going to demand a big payday either. He could very well take a team friendly deal, which would help free up money to be used elsewhere, and let the Bengals retain a true #1 WR at a fair price.

We’re either going to keep Dalton because under a new HC he’ll flourish, and him and AJ have as good of chemistry as any QB/WR in the league, or we draft Dalton’s replacement in the next year or two, in which case having a stud WR like AJ for him will also be beneficial.

I'm not saying it will but if it was signing between AJ Green and Boyd I would take Boyd.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:59 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they could easily replace DreK and his contract.

I'm not a fan of Dennard but if they moved/cut Dre, they could sign him and draft or sign another FA CB.

Not sure what the dead cap would be from doing this?

I know the team has bigger holes/problems but if they improve the pass rush they could take some chances here.
I think dennard would play better on the outside they have him plan nickel cornerback on most packages.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:13 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I think your numbers are way off. If we spend all that money we have no money to pay the rookies, no money for extensions (and we should extend Boyd this summer), no money for an injury pad, and many of those sites only count the top 51, rather than 53, players. All that typically costs 15-17 million.

Overthecap.com says we have 52 million. Once we cut Burfict, and we will, we have about 58 million. Then we need to make offers to some of our RFA and ERFA players, including (Redmond, Hopkins, Tupou, McRae and Wilson; whether we let a guy like Tupou walk is immaterial). Hopkins is complicated, because an original round tender is about 2 million, but not compensation if we lose him. A 2nd round tender is about 3 million, and we're virtually guaranteed to keep him. I think we lose him if we only pay 2 million, so I'm going to figure on 3 million. The other 4 get minimum salary, bringing us back down to a little over 55 million.

Put the transition tag on Denard, at 12.224 million, brings us down to 43.6 million (rounding). Corners are expensive, and we need them in a passing league. Nickel CB spends more time on the field than a third LB, so we drop some cash on this. Kirkpatrick isn't going anywhere either.

Re-sign Uzomah to an APY of about 5 million, bringing us down to 39 million. Gutty player in an otherwise empty TE room.

External free agents: Sign Ja'Waun James from the Dolphins for an APY of about 10 million. Just to be conservative I'm going to say 11 million. Then sign Jordan Hicks from Philly, APY of about 6 million. New coach Taylor has a connection to James from Miami days, and Hicks is a Cincy product. This brings us down to 24.3 million.

So if we want to pay our rookies, extend Boyd, be able to sign anybody at all when guys get hurt next year, etc, we then have 6-7 million left, not 24.3 million.

We use that on some combination of OT depth, Michael Johnson, Preston Brown, back up FS, etc. Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to say Preston Brown at 1 year, 4 million, Bobby Hart at 1 year, 2.5 million, and a safety like Kurt Coleman, whom New Orleans is sure to cut, at 1 year, 2 million. This brings us to 17.6 million. You figure in minimum type contracts for guys like Vinny Rey, Matt Lengel, and 2-3 minimum salary vets, and we're around or slightly under 17 million.

*This* is realistic. I'm telling you, use the free agency calculator at Overthecap.com, it's far better for thinking up an offseason: https://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals/

Then in the first round pick a blue chip defender at any position other than safety, and a TE on day 2.

I don't think I am way off. Spotrac has the breakdown. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2019/ With all of the players currently on our team. They have us at 49.8 million in cap space. That includes all the guys signed from practice squad with 58 players salaries weighed in the equation plus the dead money and roll over. So if you take off the bottom 5 contracts to get to 53 that adds another almost 2.5 million to my starting figure.

I didn't want to mention the Burfict cut because I don't want it to be true. And with the suspension for performance enhancing drugs I am sure there is an out for the remaining guaranteed money. There shouldn't be a doctor that would give him the green light to continue playing. Way too many head injuries. And we are too nice so we probably won't void the guarantees. But moving on saves us at least 5.5 million. 

And I didn't want to mention a Gio cut. But dude has what is basically a top 10 RB contract. And he didn't even have 500 combined yards. Cutting him saves another 3.75 million. Time to see what Walton can do and why we used an early pick on him. And then do like every other team and find one of the many available running backs out there that can get the job done. 

That is extra 9.25 million which is right around their usual injury cushion allowance. And any rookies coming on are taking the place of somebody already on the roster. So other than the first few picks being a little more expensive than the guys they are replacing who are already in the equation it wouldn't have a big net change. 

I'm not paying 2 or 3 million for Hopkins to be a back up. I would hang on to the other ERFAs Wilson, Mcrae, Redmond, and Topou for cheap to bring to camp. They would have even less effect on our net spend than the rookies. 

Passing all day on giving Dennard anywhere close to that kind of money. He is juuuuuuust barely out of first round bust territory. In 5 years he has 3 INTs and 16 passes defended. No freaking way can we afford to over pay another bottom of the mid tier CB. Let someone else over pay him if they want. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Uzomah around. He shouldn't cost 5 million. I would rather have James and Doyle though. Depending on Eifert's willingness to accept a super lowball incentivised contract it could be Uzi that stays instead.

I'm not ready to give Boyd an extension yet. Let him play out his contract year. Same with AJ. We can cross that bridge when we get to it. Paying Dunlap and Atkins resulted in two guys who didn't look as good as they have in the past. 

Pass on Vinny Rey, MJ, and Lengel. 
Reply/Quote
After watching the Patriots blow out the Chargers and Trent Brown blow open rush lanes and snuff out the talented Charges pass rush... Damn I want that guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:42 AM)Synric Wrote: There are some issues here.

1. If Tyler Eifert can earn up to 8 million that means his cap hit would be 8 million not 2 so it adds up to 55.5.

But let's go ahead with the 2 million Eifert cap hit.

2. Over the cap has the Bengals at 52 million cap space and you have spent up to 49.5. Leaving 2.5 million. The 11th pick of the draft costs 4 million a year so you would not be able to sign any of your draft picks.

But let's say you cut enough free agents to fit in the draft picks which brings us to issue number....

3. You would be letting both Tyler Boyd and AJ Green go into contract years without an extension. Both would be allowed to enter free agency. ( After rereading I see you would let AJ walk...which would be just ugh.)

1. Good point. I think the incentives are likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned. With likely to be counting towards the cap and unlikely not counting. We could just argue they are unlikely to be earned. 

2. See above

3. Letting guys play out their final year is usually a pretty good motivator. We would have money to spend next year as well. See if Boyd can do it again, and see if AJ can bounce back from what is a worrisome injury. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 06:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I didn't want to mention the Burfict cut because I don't want it to be true. And with the suspension for performance enhancing drugs I am sure there is an out for the remaining guaranteed money. There shouldn't be a doctor that would give him the green light to continue playing. Way too many head injuries. And we are too nice so we probably won't void the guarantees. But moving on saves us at least 5.5 million. 

And I didn't want to mention a Gio cut. But dude has what is basically a top 10 RB contract. And he didn't even have 500 combined yards. Cutting him saves another 3.75 million. Time to see what Walton can do and why we used an early pick on him. And then do like every other team and find one of the many available running backs out there that can get the job done. 

That is extra 9.25 million which is right around their usual injury cushion allowance. And any rookies coming on are taking the place of somebody already on the roster. So other than the first few picks being a little more expensive than the guys they are replacing who are already in the equation it wouldn't have a big net change. 

I'm not paying 2 or 3 million for Hopkins to be a back up. I would hang on to the other ERFAs Wilson, Mcrae, Redmond, and Topou for cheap to bring to camp. They would have even less effect on our net spend than the rookies. 

Passing all day on giving Dennard anywhere close to that kind of money. He is juuuuuuust barely out of first round bust territory. In 5 years he has 3 INTs and 16 passes defended. No freaking way can we afford to over pay another bottom of the mid tier CB. Let someone else over pay him if they want. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Uzomah around. He shouldn't cost 5 million. I would rather have James and Doyle though. Depending on Eifert's willingness to accept a super lowball incentivised contract it could be Uzi that stays instead.

Just a couple things.  If you're going by Over the Cap's numbers, cutting Burfict reflects a salary cap gain of 6.8M.

While I agree that Gio is overpaid for his role, Walton did nothing to impress me this season.  They might need to go to the RB well in the draft, again.

What makes you think that Hopkins would garner 2-3M/per on the open market?  Stats for 2019 show the vet minimum for a player with 4 years of experience to be a little above 700K.  I would think him to be more than happy to take a deal for 1-1.5M/per.

Completely agree with you about Dennard.  Watching this season, I now understand why they have kept him in the Slot CB role.  When they put him on the edge, he's terrible.  He plays the man's face, just like a college CB would do.  Additionally, normally height isn't really an issue with CBs, as they typically have good leaping ability.  That does not appear to be the case with Dennard.  Personally, I would rate his ability at worth of around 5-6M/per, tops.

Also agree with your opinion on Uzomah.  He's not worth 5M/per.  Based on what he's done with the Bengals, I would think that somewhere in the 1.5-2M/per, with production incentives would be fair.

Lastly, you never touched on the idea of cutting Cordy Glenn.  That is 9.5M in cap space, with 0 dead money to consider.  Glenn did not play anywhere close to what his salary would indicate.  The Bengals could take that same money and get another Tackle that would be willing to play up to expectations.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 02:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'm not saying it will but if it was signing between AJ Green and Boyd I would take Boyd.

No reason we can’t sign both. Just like we did with Geno and Dunlap. We have the cap space.

I’d also worry about Boyd as a true #1WR. Especially if Ross is the #2...

Reply/Quote
I personally would like to see Seantrell Henderson (RT) and Billy Turner (RG/RT) signed, both are 27, so you could lock them up for a while.
Neither guy will break the bank and both are above average.

Keep Glenn and draft a LT to groom for a year.

Maybe sign Avery Williamson (ILB - NYJ) He's a local from Ky, and 27, either that or Malik Jefferson needs to be very evaluated.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When you are signing James from Miami, are you also letting go of the Cordy Glenn contract?  There's 9.5M in space to be saved there, with 0 dead money to contend with. (since I saw you voiding the Burfict contract)

I meant play James at RT, Glenn at LT. Glenn was a disappointment but we don't have a better option and LTs are hard to find. 
Reply/Quote
I meant play James at RT, Glenn at LT. Glenn was a disappointment but we don't have a better option and LTs are hard to find. 

Oh, I don't know about that being a good idea, at all.  Personally, I think the Bengals need to kick Cordy Glenn to the curb, and reinvest that money in a capable Left Tackle.  A competent RT can be had for less than 10M.  

If the Bengals did want to invest a significant contract into a Right Tackle, I would suggest Seantrell Henderson, currently with the Houston Texans.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bowles in Tampa will want to change their defense to a 3-4 so McCoy will be on the outside. So I'd offer up an 3rd for him (that's better than what they'd get if he was a FA for a comp pic. His salary is 13/mil 1 year so with him and Cut Desean (10 Mil) they'd get some cap space to chase the 3-4 guys they want.

So for me:
We have 50 mil to start
need to find out what's up with Burfict this year so we know what to do with him.

13 mil for McCoy (lower if we can re-negotiate and sign him for a few a couple more years)
5 mil 3 years for Seantrall Henderson (RT)
3 mil 3 years for Billy Turner (RG/RT)
4 mil 1 year Preston Brown
4 mil 3 years Dennard
29 mil right there.
still 21 to go.
So we could go after
Demarcus Lawrence for about 21 mil per year (and cut someone) or
Frank Clark (who I think is very underated) for about 12 mil/year.

Cut Glenn and get 9 mil back after the Draft so we know if we got Jonah or not.
And still could get some from Burfict if he's not in good shape.

Rd 1 LT Jonah Williams, Alabama
Rd 2 LB

This would make for a very nasty DL with our rotations.
Not a lot of Improvement for LB's but hopefully we get one in rd 2 that can help right away and if Burfict is back then it's much improved with Brown and Virgil in the other 2 spots. Healthy is a big kicker for us here.
Right side of OL now slightly above avg
and Hope and Pray Jonah is as good as advertised and that will make the Left side reliable.

With the new coaching changes, this should help get us in contention.
Reply/Quote
I agree our FA's this year are not worth much in regards to comp picks, but there are some that I like to retain:

Keep:

1) Uzomah-TE- good #3 guy to have

2) Hopkins -G/C- nice depth for OLine

3) Smith-OT nice depth at Tackle

4) Eifert-TE only on incentive laden deal

5) Dennard-CB- I don't go over 5-6 million

Cuts:

1) Burfict-Not worth the 6 million anymore, and I would just cut to use funds elsewhere!

Free Agents from Outside:

1) Jordan Hicks-ILB- gives our D a difference maker at an area of need

2) Pierre Desir-CB- solid #3/4 Corner in a passing league

3) Rodger Saffold-G- knows Taylor from the Rams we get a solid addition to the line.

I think this opens up the draft tremendously for us

Round 1-3:

1) Best Offensive Tackle
2) Best Defensive Tackle
3) Best Linebacker
Reply/Quote
Any thoughts on Cole Beasley? He shouldn't really be that expensive and would be a good slot receiver. Outside of Boyd and Green we really dont have anyone else who is reliable from a WR/TE standpoint.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 12:12 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Any thoughts on Cole Beasley? He shouldn't really be that expensive and would be a good slot receiver. Outside of Boyd and Green we really dont have anyone else who is reliable from a WR/TE standpoint.

I dont think he does anything Erickson can't do.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 07:43 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont think he does anything Erickson can't do.

I think it will be interesting to see what Erickson can do at WR with a competent staff and one that is willing to give him a chance. Marvin (or whoever determined got chances on offense) definitely seemed reluctant to put him out there. 

That said, Beasley had either more yards or catches in 4 individual separate years than Erickson has his whole career. 
Reply/Quote
I can Erickson replaced on this roster. he was a true Marvin guy.
he hasnt had a TD kick return since the 2016 preseason
Reply/Quote
This is my hope:

We cut Burfict, he is done.
So, that gives us some additional dollars for FA's and/or extensions.

1. Sign an OT like the ones mentioned.
2. Sign a vet cover and 3 down LB. My choice is KJ Wright.
3. Sign a 3 down DT. My choice would be Suh.
4. Sign Dennard
5. Sign Uzomah
6. Sign Eifert to 1 year prove it deal
7. Sign a vet TE

Then fill the rest of the needs with draft choices.
Round 1 - Left OT or LB like White
Round 2 - LB or Left OT
Round 3 - CB - You can never have enough great corners
Round 4 - TE

I would also hope they consider trading AD, but only if they can get a top 10 1st round pick in 2019 with a 1st round pick in 2020 along with a 3rd round pick in 2019. I would use that pick to draft the top QB on the board when they pick.

If so, I would find a one year stop gap QB to start and mentor the rookie in 2019 like Flacco or Bortles assuming they are available.

I like AD, but maybe time for a change not because he is not capable, but because the team is not capable to win it all with him the next 2 years right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If we're talking purely outside FA's...

LT - Trent Brown
RT - JaWuan James
TE - Jared Cook
LB - CJ Mosley, KJ Wright/Anthony Barr
CB - Morris Claiborne

I think this draft will be good for guards and DTs, so I think the Bengals don't need to bother with either of those positions in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote