Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample carted off the field
It is not his fault he was overdrafted.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 08:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most fans just don't get it.  Pretty much every team in the league has a guy like Sample who plays 25%-35% of the snaps as a TE/FB/H-back whose main role is to block.  It is an IMPORTANT role in the offense.

When a guy like Ryan Hewitt does it he is a fan favorite.  When Drew Sample does the exact same thing many Bengal "fans" do nothing but shit on him.

Thats because Ryan Hewitt was an undrafted free agent, not a second round pick.   It's a poor use of your draft capital.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: All we do is say how the Bengals need to protect Burrow, and one of the top blocking TEs in the league gets injured and you say no one is upset because he sucks.  

MooningLameFacepalmBan

Yeah, this could hurt if it is significant. To act like we won't even miss his blocking at all is absurd honestly.

(08-05-2022, 08:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most fans just don't get it.  Pretty much every team in the league has a guy like Sample who plays 25%-35% of the snaps as a TE/FB/H-back whose main role is to block.  It is an IMPORTANT role in the offense.

When a guy like Ryan Hewitt does it he is a fan favorite.  When Drew Sample does the exact same thing many Bengal "fans" do nothing but shit on him.

All true.

(08-05-2022, 09:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: TE depth is already thin. Not great when your best blocking option that's not an offensive lineman goes down.

Hoping our other TE's can block decent if Drew is out for any significant time.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:58 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Thats because Ryan Hewitt was an undrafted free agent, not a second round pick.   It's a poor use of your draft capital.

We are not talking about "draft capital".  We are talking about "play on the field".

No one is saying "Sample is a bad 2nd round pick".  Instead they are saying "Sample sucks".

Sorry that you don't understand the difference.
Reply/Quote
I saw jay Morrison tweet they dodged a bullet and he should miss maybe 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We are not talking about "draft capital".  We are talking about "play on the field".

No one is saying "Sample is a bad 2nd round pick".  Instead they are saying "Sample sucks".

Sorry that you don't understand the difference.

I think the implication is Sample sucks because he was a 2nd round pick. Nobody would care if he was rumbling around doing nothing but blocking if he was a late round pick. He may even be a goofy fan favorite if that were the case. Personally I'm over worrying about Drew Sample. He's barely noticable.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:58 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Thats because Ryan Hewitt was an undrafted free agent, not a second round pick.   It's a poor use of your draft capital.

preally the draft capital at this point is past history.. reality is he has a multi facet role as TE/MB that most of our TEs don't have especially the blocking component which is still a need with the unknown of how our newly blended line is going to perform.  Hopefully nothing serious and we can get him back on the field before we open up for season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:31 PM)jason Wrote: I think the implication is Sample sucks because he was a 2nd round pick. Nobody would care if he was rumbling around doing nothing but blocking if he was a late round pick.

This is exactly my point.

Some fans don't care how he actually plays on the field.  Even if he does his job well they will shit on him and say he sucks.

Lots of fans are stupid that way.
Reply/Quote
He is wearing a knee brace and using a crutch but is expected back in a couple of weeks which generally indicates a grade 1 MCL sprain

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:31 PM)jason Wrote: I think the implication is Sample sucks because he was a 2nd round pick. Nobody would care if he was rumbling around doing nothing but blocking if he was a late round pick. He may even be a goofy fan favorite if that were the case. Personally I'm over worrying about Drew Sample. He's barely noticable.

That's pretty much where I am. I don't hate the guy but just to be blunt I'm not so sure he'll be missed that much ?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:23 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I saw jay Morrison tweet they dodged a bullet and he should miss maybe 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we got lucky. Original reports had him only missing 1 week.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I really don't get the Sample hate.  Overdrafted?  Maybe a bit, but as you said, you can make a strong argument for the importance of his position.  

The one season they asked him to be more of a chain-mover (2020) due to injuries to CJ, he had 40 receptions for 349 yards with a really high catch % on just 53 targets and ranked in the 70s on PFF for both run and pass blocking.  He also had Brandon Allen throwing to him half that season.  

He isn't much of a downfield threat.  He can do it, but he is rarely asked to do it.  But he did respond pretty well that second season when called upon to be more of a receiver.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 04:18 PM)pally Wrote:

Sure is a bulky ass brace. Probably just precautionary as is the case usually at this time of year.

As long as he is ready for the regular season opener against the Steelers it is all good. Drew brings what Hayden doesn't.

Good run blocking. We will need him contrary to what the haters of Drew say.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 10:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is Jermaine Gresham still available?

Uzomah always reminded me of him. Not sure why.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:42 PM)Whacked Wrote: Uzomah always reminded me of him. Not sure why.

Big and hard to tackle and could both block pretty good. I can see why.
Reply/Quote
Any word on a timetable for Samples return?

We need him
Reply/Quote