Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Drew Sample is PFF’s #1 graded pass blocking TE
(10-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Housh Wrote: This is from a Twitter user named Willie Lutz. Saw the post and didn’t see one on here.

Apparently out of 110 eligible TE’s Sample is #1 in pass blocking and as a bonus he’s 33/110 in run blocking.

So he’s having a good bounceback season once you factor in he’s not here to catch passes but his only real purpose is to block.

Still not happy about getting a glorified lineman at TE in the second round but being the best pass blocking TE in the league when many of us wanted Darnell Washington is definitely a plus.

Keep chugging Drew. We rock with ya

Good to know, will take anything good right now. Good on you starting a positive thread Housh. Rock On

Always knew Drew Sample could be a good blocker. Sounds like he is growing into one of the best which is great. Even when people 
were hating on him for being a reach which he was in the 2nd round he blocked for many RB runs going for TD's.
Reply/Quote
This is the thing with me. And I don't claim to be any NFL coach, game planner, scheme expert. But a pass blocking TE? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

What are his run blocking grades? Why not just put a 6th lineman out there if all he is gonna do is pass block? Is our Oline so bad that we need a TE to block on so many pass plays?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
totally worth the 2nd round selection

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2023, 01:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is the thing with me. And I don't claim to be any NFL coach, game planner, scheme expert. But a pass blocking TE? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

What are his run blocking grades? Why not just put a 6th lineman out there if all he is gonna do is pass block? Is our Oline so bad that we need a TE to block on so many pass plays?

His run block grade is 61.5, which is 23rd among all eligible TEs.
Only 9 eligible TEs have run block grades at 70+

Tanner Hudson actually has the highest run blocking grade on the entire team - 81.8.
But he's not among eligible TEs in the above metric because he only has 7 run block snaps.

Wilcox has a run block grade of 53.3 (32 snaps)
Smith has a run block grade of 40.0 (16 snaps)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: His run block grade is 61.5, which is 23rd among all eligible TEs.
Only 9 eligible TEs have run block grades at 70+

Tanner Hudson actually has the highest run blocking grade on the entire team - 81.8.
But he's not among eligible TEs in the above metric because he only has 7 run block snaps.

Wilcox has a run block grade of 53.3 (32 snaps)
Smith has a run block grade of 40.0 (16 snaps)

Surprising in a good way with Hudson, need to use him more, but also makes BF74's point about us not using a 6th OL instead of a TE?

A 6th OL I think would block much better than any TE...

Thanks for the grades BTW Ochocincos.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Surprising in a good way with Hudson, need to use him more, but also makes BF74's point about us not using a 6th OL instead of a TE?

A 6th OL I think would block much better than any TE...

Thanks for the grades BTW Ochocincos.

The reason for using a TE is to not give it away so clearly whether the TE is going to block or go out for a pass. (You know this, I know)
If a TE is always just going to block, yea you may as well use an extra OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The reason for using a TE is to not give it away so clearly whether the TE is going to block or go out for a pass. (You know this, I know)
If a TE is always just going to block, yea you may as well use an extra OL.

True. Would be nice to see us use a 6th OL at times and it not be predictable anyways. You can pass or run with a 6th OL.

You just usually cannot have the 6th OL running routes and catching passes for sure.
Reply/Quote
Blocking and creating holes for the run is so important to me I would not be against using extra lineman consistently.

Its just hard because there is no possible way to disguise runs and and passes with an extra lineman.

You think its hard to run offense without the deep ball, imagine how hard its gonna be to throw defenses off when we trot out extra lineman. Youd damn near have to do it from the shotgun and do you really want to sacrifice a possible pass catcher to get a lineman in that TE spot? Especially seeing that Sample is the #1 ranked pass blocking TE in the league?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 03:23 PM)Housh Wrote: Blocking and creating holes for the run is so important to me I would not be against using extra lineman consistently.

Its just hard because there is no possible way to disguise runs and and passes with an extra lineman.

You think its hard to run offense without the deep ball, imagine how hard its gonna be to throw defenses off when we trot out extra lineman. Youd damn near have to do it from the shotgun and do you really want to sacrifice a possible pass catcher to get a lineman in that TE spot? Especially seeing that Sample is the #1 ranked pass blocking TE in the league?

Who offers about the same pass catching skills as an O-lineman lol

Just messing, agree though. But we should have enough faith in Chase, Tee or Boyd to get open with a 6th O-lineman anyways.

These guys are supposed to be that good and as Ja'Marr says, he is always open. Mellow

You can still have a RB and 3 WR's with 6 OL.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 03:23 PM)Housh Wrote: Blocking and creating holes for the run is so important to me I would not be against using extra lineman consistently.

Bring in the extra lineman on passing plays only til it becomes a thing expected from other teams than POW you call arun play for Joe Mixon that picks up 3 yards.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
good job drew
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i remember asking myself how a replacement that never is on the field helps us when we signed him

Yup. Crazy thing is, a lot of ppl felt this way. It wasn't just the bias of one fan or "hater". It was almost like a consensus lol

I still hope he pans out. He has immense talent when he's on point. But the fact he's already hurt despite hardly seeing the field does not bode well. Some bodies are simply not fit for the grind of this league. And it's not their fault either. For example, mine would be crushed into 1000 pieces on the first snap of the game LMAO
Reply/Quote
Pass blocking TE are useless if you can't score. Give me a catching TE like Hurst or the previous one. Move the chains!! Get those 1st downs. SCORE!
Reply/Quote
Through 9 weeks he’s still number 1

Has only allowed 1 pressure in 9 games

Sample size doubters have been proven wrong
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 12:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Through 9 weeks he’s still number 1

He’s single handedly helping me get over not getting Darnell Washington
-Housh
Reply/Quote
T. Williams has been pretty good in pass pro. Mixon is improved. And Sample got that TD out of the backfield. I don't get why people are bith hing about using him back there, especially after that.

But he is a TE3/TE4, blocking/special teams type. TE2 is his ceiling. Which is fine. Bringing him back on a cheap contract would be fine with me.
Reply/Quote
He's not longer a 2nd round pick his rookie deal is up and for 1.2 million a year I wish we had 4 of him on the roster. Great blocking TEs are huge especially when you play TJ Watt, Myles Garrett and the Ravens D 2 times a year.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 12:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Through 9 weeks he’s still number 1

Nice. I was a doubter, at least in the passing game and he DOES still need to get better with his routes and hands specifically, 
but to be the #1 blocking TE in the NFL is impressive to say the least.

(11-10-2023, 12:15 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s single handedly helping me get over not getting Darnell Washington

The knee injury helped me get over not drafting DW, plus I really like DJ Turner and Jordan Battle.

We can draft a stud TE next Draft.

(11-10-2023, 12:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: T. Williams has been pretty good in pass pro. Mixon is improved. And Sample got that TD out of the backfield. I don't get why people are bith hing about using him back there, especially after that.

But he is a TE3/TE4, blocking/special teams type. TE2 is his ceiling. Which is fine. Bringing him back on a cheap contract would be fine with me.

I am not bitching anymore about Drew Sample. I liked that TD he had against the Bills and he is the best blocking TE.

Would also be fine bringing Drew back now.

(11-10-2023, 01:45 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: He's not longer a 2nd round pick his rookie deal is up and for 1.2 million a year I wish we had 4 of him on the roster.  Great blocking TEs are huge especially when you play TJ Watt, Myles Garrett and the Ravens D 2 times a year.

Yep, need to forget about where he was drafted. That was a long time ago.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:08 AM)J24 Wrote: Sample is a good player that fans would have loved if he was drafted as a 6th or 7th RD pick. 2nd RD was obviously too high.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious.

This.  Ryan Hewitt was a fan favorite.

Okay for fans to bash Bengals for using a 2nd round pick on Sample, but don't bash him as a player..
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:08 AM)J24 Wrote: Sample is a good player that fans would have loved if he was drafted as a 6th or 7th RD pick. 2nd RD was obviously too high.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious.

2nd round for Cincy might have been more important than for some. Seems to me Sample plays a lot of downs and doesn’t make a lot. He’s obviously valuable. I don’t really give 2 _____ if he was a second rounder if he’s #1 in blocking that’s valuable and if he plays 6-10 seasons it was a steal.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote