Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
Did anyone catch that play where Burrow scrambled left, all the way to the sideline, and dumped off like a 2 yard pass to Sample? It was really a throwaway play, with no chance of success. But I do think it kind of sums the abilities of Drew Sample.

Few, if any Tight Ends, make that catch in bounds. And it wouldn't have mattered much if he tapped his feet in, as we would have picked up all of 2 yards on a 3rd and long. So I'm not knocking him for that. But what really struck me was, not only did he drop a pass lobbed to him from 6 feet away, he akwardly got all tangled up and fell down. It just looked so unathletic.

Anways, all of the above isn't really my main point, was just curious if anyone else had a laugh at that. My point, that Drew Sample is a bum, is based on all of what we've seen so far.

Drew Sample has 183 yards throught 9 games, with 6 of them being starts, and with him seeing a TON of reps. He's projecting to finish the season with 325 receiving. This is an offense that has attempted more passes than any other team in the league (more opportunites). This is an offense, where another fellow 2nd rounder in Tee Higgins, is immediately producing as a rookie, who is projected to finish with 1,072 yards and 7 TD's.

If you look at his total body of work, which account for both seasons, he's played in 18 games. In those 18 games he has 213 yards receiving. That is astonishing low for any TE, much less 2nd round pick.

And making things even more ridiculous, he has ZERO TD's. Zip, zilch, nada. Not one single TD. When he's had the opportunity he dropped one, and had a guy basically just outmuscle him and take the ball away from him for an iNT.

His current target average is 6.5 yards. Really think about this number. It tells you exactly what you see when you actually watch him targeted. He's a check down, dump off target, with absolutely no ability to catch the ball beyond 10 yards.

Oh, and in just in case anyone wants to make the case he's too busy blocking to contribute in the pass game. He was 3rd in the league in routes run going into last week game. Not to mention the fact, you don't draft Tight Ends to in the 2nd round to block.

I'll wrap it up here, as none of this is really needed for people that actually pay attention to this guy. Just look and you'll see that he's a total bum of a player. He would have been a bad pick even in the 3rd or 4th. You can get guys like this late in the draft or off the street. Whoever call for or signed off on this pick should be immediately fired,
Reply/Quote
I've been trying hard to hold out hope for Sample. That hope is fading though. The he's a good blocker narrative is losing steam in a scheme that throws the ball like 75% of the time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:   He's projecting to finish the season with 325 receiving.  This is an offense that has attempted more passes than any other team in the league

(11-16-2020, 01:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote:  The he's a good blocker narrative is losing steam in a scheme that throws the ball like 75% of the time.

Taylor's system just doesn't throw much to the TE.

The 2018 Rams threw for over 4500 yards and their leading TE, Gerald Everett, just had 320 yards. 

Last year Eifert caught 43 passes, but that was because our #2 and #3 WRs were Alex Erickson (43 rec) and Auden Tate (40 rec).

But I don't know why so many people are obsessing on trashing Sample.  How many people really think he is holding back this offense? 

There are only 26 TEs with as many as 20 receptions.  So it isn't like all 32 teams have super start TEs making tons of catches.  And among those 26 Sample is 8th in catch % (71.4).  His yards/target ranking is lower (19th) but far from the "bum" range.
Reply/Quote
I commented on that play in the GDT. Just downright embarrassing he’s our #1 TE. How the hell do we go from Gresham and Eifert to that?

TE is a big need. And that’s infuriating considering we just burned a 2nd round pick on one a year ago. Is he a total bust? No. Dude can block. But we also need a playmaker.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I commented on that play in the GDT. Just downright embarrassing he’s our #1 TE. How the hell do we go from Gresham and Eifert to that?

TE is a big need. And that’s infuriating considering we just burned a 2nd round pick on one a year ago. Is he a total bust? No. Dude can block. But we also need a playmaker.

That's the thing, we spent a 2nd round pick for a guy that just isn't producing at that level. What would a 2nd round RG be doing for this team now ?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor's system just doesn't throw much to the TE.

The 2018 Rams threw for over 4500 yards and their leading TE, Gerald Everett, just had 320 yards. 

Last year Eifert caught 43 passes, but that was because our #2 and #3 WRs were Alex Erickson (43 rec) and Auden Tate (40 rec).

But I don't know why so many people are obsessing on trashing Sample.  How many people really think he is holding back this offense? 

There are only 26 TEs with as many as 20 receptions.  So it isn't like all 32 teams have super start TEs making tons of catches.  And among those 26 Sample is 8th in catch % (71.4).  His yards/target ranking is lower (19th) but far from the "bum" range.

So far ZT system is flawed. Ive seen 24 games so far to be convinced.
Are you aware that the best offenses in the AFC use the TE as
A focal point of their passing game?
When defenses scheme against the Bengals they dont
Worry about Sample therefore their LBers and free saftey can either spy on the rb leaking out or they can help.in bracket
Coverage.
Sample is a bum. He makes JP Foshi look like Bob Trumpy.
He offers nothing in controlling the middle of the field 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor's system just doesn't throw much to the TE.

Seriously, the guy's yards/target is on par with guys like Austin Hooper and Zach Ertz.  The failed catches in the end zone is a concern, but his play isn't deserving of a trash this player thread.

I find it kind of funny how whenever a 1st or 2nd round isn't producing as much as people expect, they are a bum, but if it's an overhyped Day 3 pick, their lack of production is all the coach's fault.
Reply/Quote
Sample on pace for a whopping 325 receiving yards.
I never thought I'd say this, but I really miss Uzomah.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So far ZT system is flawed. Ive seen 24 games so far to be convinced.
Are you aware that the best offenses in the AFC use the TE as
A focal point of their passing game?

So what does this have to do with Drew Sample?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing, we spent a 2nd round pick for a guy that just isn't producing at that level. What would a 2nd round RG be doing for this team now ?

The only G drafted after Sample in the 2nd was Max Scharping, who has a 50.3 PFF grade for the Texans this year.  So, to answer your question, not much.
Reply/Quote

The 2018 Rams weren't ZT's system. That's a slap in the face to McVay. 

ZT has never had a system before he came to the Bengals and I'm still not sure he has one now. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So what does this have to do with Drew Sample?

Sample wasnt a focal point at Washington nor is 
He here as a Bengal. 
He is the least talented pass catching TE in the AFC
This is TE driven league.
There isnt a team in the North Sample could start for.
Heck there isnt a team in the AFC he could start for.
The Steelers have 2 legit threats at TE.
The Ravens 2 before Boyle went down 
The Browns 3.
The Bengals a big doughnut
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sample wasnt a focal point at Washington nor is 
He here as a Bengal. 
He is the least talented pass catching TE in the AFC
This is TE driven league.
There isnt a team in the North Sample could start for.
Heck there isnt a team in the AFC he could start for.
The Steelers have 2 legit threats at TE.
The Ravens 2 before Boyle went down 
The Browns 3.
The Bengals a big doughnut

This is not a TE driven league... Maybe you meant division, but I don't think that applies either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing, we spent a 2nd round pick for a guy that just isn't producing at that level. What would a 2nd round RG be doing for this team now ?

Or the WR that went the very next pick...

We could have drafted Metcalf and Tee, and let AJ walk. That’s 18 million more we could have spent in FA.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:26 PM)jason Wrote: This is not a TE driven league... Maybe you meant division, but I don't think that applies either.

Both teams that were in the Super Bowl last season have stud TE’s who are their best weapons. It’s a hell of an advantage if you have an elite TE. I always go back to Eifert catching 13 TD’s in 2015. What would that offense have looked like with Drew Sample as TE1?

Reply/Quote
Sample was taken too early in the draft. That's not really debatable.

We could have had him 4th or 5th round and this would be less of an issue and we'd be arguing over a different bust that was drafted early instead.

But really guys? We need another thread trashing a guy who's not really a problem.

We have talent at skill positions on offense. The problem is the line and damn near everyone on defense with a few exceptions.

Have we made a thread yet trashing the long snapper...that son of a....
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: Seriously, the guy's yards/target is on par with guys like Austin Hooper and Zach Ertz. 

Who are both having career low years in that statistic.  I just wanted to make that clarification, before people start thinking that Sample's targets mimiq that of what usually thinks when they hear Hooper and Ertz.

Austin Hopper is one of the most disappointing free agents signings of 2020.  He's gone from an elite Tight End to afterthought in the Browns system.  His first four years in Atl, his average target was over 8 YPT. 

Some might scoff at a 2 yard difference, but it's bigger than what you would think.  You catch a target at 8 yards, and turn around and you got a first down.  He was also doing it at a much higher usage, with varying routes, as he had 70+ catches the last two seasons.  He had longs of 44, 88, 36, 35, and 36 in each season.

Ertz's role has completely changed as he's aged, and since they brought in Dallas Goedert.  His average taget was over 7.5 yards through his first 6 years.  He's also had longs in each year of 38, 35, 60, 30, 53, 34.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or the WR that went the very next pick...

We could have drafted Metcalf and Tee, and let AJ walk. That’s 18 million more we could have spent in FA.

We can't be drafting those "shiny toys" for our offense, though.  AJ will age like wine and we will be good with the yearly "Golden Binns Award" winner as the #3.  Why would you want weapons for your QB, anyways?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sample on pace for a whopping 325 receiving yards.
I never thought I'd say this, but I really miss Uzomah.

Uzomah is pretty mediocre himself, but Sample is never scoring a 23 yard TD. Guy just looks like the slowest player on the field most of the time.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:35 PM)motoarch Wrote: Sample was taken too early in the draft.  That's not really debatable.

We could have had him 4th or 5th round 

Actually you have no clue where other teams had Drew ranked.

Some other team might have taken him in the 2nd round if we didn't.  Every year there is a list of players who get drafted either much earlier or much later than the "draft experts" predict.
Reply/Quote