Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
(11-16-2020, 02:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or the WR that went the very next pick...

We could have drafted Metcalf and Tee, and let AJ walk. That’s 18 million more we could have spent in FA.

Miles Sanders the RB from Penn went next.

The Bengals traded out from a pick earlier that went to Denver where they took Drew Lock with Irv Smith Jr. still on the board. Smith went 2 picks before they took Sample, which makes me think they were in panic mode.

Metcalf was the last pick of round 2, but you are correct in saying that would could have easily drafted him over Sample and it would have been a much better pick. 

This is also the same draft that we moved up to take Ryan Finley... so clearly 2019 was not a stellar draft effort.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Miles Sanders the RB from Penn went next.

The Bengals traded out from a pick earlier that went to Denver where they took Drew Lock with Irv Smith Jr. still on the board. Smith went 2 picks before they took Sample, which makes me think they were in panic mode.

Metcalf was the last pick of round 2, but you are correct in saying that would could have easily drafted him over Sample and it would have been a much better pick. 

This is also the same draft that we moved up to take Ryan Finley... so clearly 2019 was not a stellar draft effort.

Ah, my mistake. And yeah, that 2019 draft looks terrible for us so far. Only Jonah looks like a good starter. This year’s was obviously much better with Burrow and Tee. Plus Wilson looks promising, and Adeniji could end up being a steal.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah, my mistake. And yeah, that 2019 draft looks terrible for us so far. Only Jonah looks like a good starter. This year’s was obviously much better with Burrow and Tee. Plus Wilson looks promising, and Adeniji could end up being a steal.

Yeah, the entire 2019 class makes it look like a coaching staff that was still in scramble mode trying to get to know each other and not sure what direction to go, it was just a ton of bad or questionable picks.

Jonah looks good (needs to stay healthy though, cause it is starting to be a concern)
Sample - waste
Pratt - I'm still on the fence, he makes some plays but lacks consistency.
Finley - why...just why...
Renell Wren - Has potential still.
Michael Jordan - Has some hope

The rest of the class is either not here or just not used like Williams.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 06:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yeah, the entire 2019 class makes it look like a coaching staff that was still in scramble mode trying to get to know each other and not sure what direction to go, it was just a ton of bad or questionable picks.

Jonah looks good (needs to stay healthy though, cause it is starting to be a concern)
Sample - waste
Pratt - I'm still on the fence, he makes some plays but lacks consistency.
Finley - why...just why...
Renell Wren - Has potential still.
Michael Jordan - Has some hope

The rest of the class is either not here or just not used like Williams.

You really shouldn’t have more than one “WTF” pick in any given draft, and Sample plus trading up for Finley (LOL) are 2 colossal wtf’s.

Reply/Quote
The thought of having Joe Burrow paired with DK Metcalf, Tyler Boyd, and Tee Higgins makes me harder than a diamond in an ice storm.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor's system just doesn't throw much to the TE.

The 2018 Rams threw for over 4500 yards and their leading TE, Gerald Everett, just had 320 yards. 

Last year Eifert caught 43 passes, but that was because our #2 and #3 WRs were Alex Erickson (43 rec) and Auden Tate (40 rec).

But I don't know why so many people are obsessing on trashing Sample.  How many people really think he is holding back this offense? 

There are only 26 TEs with as many as 20 receptions.  So it isn't like all 32 teams have super start TEs making tons of catches.  And among those 26 Sample is 8th in catch % (71.4).  His yards/target ranking is lower (19th) but far from the "bum" range.

This isn’t Taylor’s system. His is the Chinese knock off of the McVay offense. And just like the chinese knock off Taylors breaks down and sucks as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 06:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The thought of having Joe Burrow paired with DK Metcalf, Tyler Boyd, and Tee Higgins makes me harder than a diamond in an ice storm.

That's an underrated line that I use all the time, but nobody gets. If you get the reference, then I know you're cool.
Reply/Quote
Bump

I didn’t watch the game, but I see this bum had a big fumble. And still has 0 TD’s in 20 games. We badly need an upgrade at TE.

Reply/Quote
A lot of people shit on Dukie for our draft picks, but Sample and Finley must have been Zac choices.

For all the shit we can give Tobin, he never reached like that. We can hindsight choices, but he never reached to that degree.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 04:43 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: A lot of people shit on Dukie for our draft picks, but Sample and Finley must have been Zac choices.

For all the shit we can give Tobin, he never reached like that. We can hindsight choices, but he never reached to that degree.

Agreed. As bad as the Ogbuehi, Ross, etc picks were they were at least taken in the round they were projected. Taking a blocking TE in the 2nd round is just indefensible.

Reply/Quote
Sample was and is a terrible pick. I was hoping he’d redeem himself after that Week 1 TD catch he got outmuscled for but nope, he’s done nothing to earn my trust. Zac can take Drew with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 09:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Sample was and is a terrible pick. I was hoping he’d redeem himself after that Week 1 TD catch he got outmuscled for but nope, he’s done nothing to earn my trust. Zac can take Drew with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was week 4 against JAX (Myles Jack), but I agree.

Reply/Quote
Where is all the Drew Sample defenders now?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 04:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. As bad as the Ogbuehi, Ross, etc picks were they were at least taken in the round they were projected. Taking a blocking TE in the 2nd round is just indefensible.

Only 20 teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample.

Among the 23 TEs with at least 25 receptions Sample's catch % ranks 9th and his yds/target ranks 15th.   

These are not great numbers, but nothing close to "bum" status.  And if you want to complain about lack of TD receptions maybe look at the fact that the Bengals rank 26th in TD passes.  Through the first ten games of the season Burrow ranked 23rd in td passes, but not one person ever complained about that.

Why are people so obsessed with shitting on this guy?  And please don't mention some other player they could have taken if they had 20/20 hindsight like all of you.  If Metcalf was such a "can't miss" prospect them why did every other team in the league pass on him twice?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:42 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Where is all the Drew Sample defenders now?

Right on cue LOL ^^^

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 03:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bump

I didn’t watch the game, but I see this bum had a big fumble. And still has 0 TD’s in 20 games. We badly need an upgrade at TE.

He was clearly and blatantly face-masked on the play and it wasn't called.

That doesn't happen, he definitely doesn't fumble.

Played a good game yesterday.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Sample was our 2nd leading receiver yesterday...what a weird time to bring this up.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right on cue LOL ^^^

And just the response I expected.  

Notice how he does not address any of the facts that I posted?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:50 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was clearly and blatantly face-masked on the play and it wasn't called.

That doesn't happen, he definitely doesn't fumble.

Played a good game yesterday.

Joe Burrow is second in the league in fumbles by a QB.

So does fumbling make a player a bum or not?
Reply/Quote
I guess coming on a message board and calling a player a bum just makes some people feel superior for whatever reason....
Reply/Quote