Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 20 teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample.

Among the 23 TEs with at least 25 receptions Sample's catch % ranks 9th and his yds/target ranks 15th.   

These are not great numbers, but nothing close to "bum" status.  And if you want to complain about lack of TD receptions maybe look at the fact that the Bengals rank 26th in TD passes.  Through the first ten games of the season Burrow ranked 23rd in td passes, but not one person ever complained about that.

Why are people so obsessed with shitting on this guy?  And please don't mention some other player they could have taken if they had 20/20 hindsight like all of you.  If Metcalf was such a "can't miss" prospect them why did every other team in the league pass on him twice?

Did you type that first sentence with a straight face? Is that supposed to be a serious defense of the guy? We throw it as much as anyone in the league (something you used to downplay Burrow’s records), but despite that TWENTY other teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample? Yikes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow is second in the league in fumbles by a QB.

So does fumbling make a player a bum or not?

Will say that on the 3-4 errant snaps that have happened this year, Burrow gets credited with the fumble, so that adds to that total (which makes no sense, but whatever; guess it falls under the same model as an error in baseball).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you type that first sentence with a straight face? Is that supposed to be a serious defense of the guy? We throw it as much as anyone in the league (something you used to downplay Burrow’s records), but despite that TWENTY other teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample? Yikes.

How many game was Uzomah the guy before he was hurt?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: Sample was our 2nd leading receiver yesterday...what a weird time to bring this up.

That says more about the state of our offense (I wonder why...) than him having a particularly good game. It also says a lot that 4 catches for 40 yds and a fumble is one of his best games of his career so far.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow is second in the league in fumbles by a QB.

When Drew Sample starts playing as well as Joe Burrow does most of the time he’ll get a lot more slack for fumbling, being punked out of balls etc.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That says more about the state of our offense (I wonder why...) than him having a particularly good game. It also says a lot that 4 catches for 40 yds and a fumble is one of his best games of his career so far.

...but everyone else in that horrible offense did worse than him. As to his career, we really haven't asked him to do much. Burrow didn't use the TE in college a whole lot and it appears the trend carried into the NFL. He is a plus blocker, and as much as I hate to agree with Fred on anything, not a bum. He is a low end TE 1 at his current usage which isn't anything special but doesn't make him a bum either.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:50 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was clearly and blatantly face-masked on the play and it wasn't called.

That doesn't happen, he definitely doesn't fumble.

Played a good game yesterday.

Sorry, Truck, you know I respect your opinion, but this is a homer take. Guy is not good.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sorry, Truck, you know I respect your opinion, but this is a homer take. Guy is not good.

So he wasn't facemasked???? Because I'm pretty sure he was facemasked.....
Reply/Quote

Burrow didn’t even play yesterday, he has absolutely nothing to do with a Drew Sample discussion right now.

But to answer your question, no fumbling doesn’t make you a bum. Being all around mediocre at football does though.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess coming on a message board and calling a player a bum just makes some people feel superior for whatever reason....

It’s a football message board. Talking about the players (good or bad) is the whole point. You could always start a homer board where only raving about how awesome they all are is permitted. I’m sure it would really take off.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: How many game was Uzomah the guy before he was hurt?

One. What’s your point?

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: ...but everyone else in that horrible offense did worse than him. As to his career, we really haven't asked him to do much. Burrow didn't use the TE in college a whole lot and it appears the trend carried into the NFL. He is a plus blocker, and as much as I hate to agree with Fred on anything, not a bum. He is a low end TE 1 at his current usage which isn't anything special but doesn't make him a bum either.

How did Tee Higgins do worse? He had more yds and a TD.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: One. What’s your point?

My point was I didn't remember which game CJ got hurt, and his playing would affect the number of passes Sample would have come his way, which would affect his ranking. Which is why I asked.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: How many game was Uzomah the guy before he was hurt?

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So he wasn't facemasked???? Because I'm pretty sure he was facemasked.....

Don’t know, didn’t watch it, but calls gets missed in every single game. It’s kind of loser talk to sit around and blame the officiating.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 04:43 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: A lot of people shit on Dukie for our draft picks, but Sample and Finley must have been Zac choices.

For all the shit we can give Tobin, he never reached like that. We can hindsight choices, but he never reached to that degree.

He reached with Ross...

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess coming on a message board and calling a player a bum just makes some people feel superior for whatever reason....

So let me get this straight, you can come on a message board, and call a player any number of things; good, a stud, a prospect, fast, etc.  But if you call them a bum (not good) there's some sort of agenda behind it?

Give me a break.  You wouldn't look for any personal motivation behind anything complimentary.  You're only pointing this out because you don't like the assessment.

Drew Sample sucks.  Period. 

Do I feel superior saying it?  No.  I feel no different than when I say Tee Higgins is a stud, or Gio Bernard is a playmaker.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:24 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: He reached with Ross...

Ross was projected to go in the teens. That’s not multiple rounds difference like Sample.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ross was projected to go in the teens. That’s not multiple rounds difference like Sample.

True...but it was still a reach. One the former HC was not to keen on at that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 20 teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample.

First off, starting any sentence with "only 20 teams" when's there's only 32 teams sound ridiculous.  That's 2/3's of the league.

What you're post leaves out, which has any time this conversation comes up, is that Drew Sample hasn't really been sharing receiving duties at the TE position since week 2.  He's been the guy. 

A LOT of teams will run out 2 different TE's in different packages.  So you may see some of those teams with 2 TE's producing in the pass game.  That's not the case here, at least since the 4th quarter of week 2.

The last I saw, Drew Sample was 3rd in routes run among Tight Ends.  3rd.  So if you've got the 3rd most opportunites to go out and produce in the pass game, and you're way down the list in yards, receptions, and TD's, then that's pretty damn bad.

This guy has seen the field an absolute shit ton, in an offense that passes as much as anyone.  So the fact he's in the bottom half of the league in every single category speaks to just how much he sucks.

Can someone find these numbers (ranks) for Drew Sample for me:

-Snaps
-Routes Run
-Yards
-Receptions
-TD's (just kidding I know this one off the top of my head, it's dead last)
Reply/Quote