Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Drew Sanders
Has anyone watched much film on this kid? He is flat out a football player. I am trying to figure out why he is not ranked in at least the top 30. I believe he is an outstanding prospect and sure looks like he has skills that translate to the NFL very well. Anyone have any insight on this kid?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 08:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Has anyone watched much film on this kid? He is flat out a football player. I am trying to figure out why he is not ranked in at least the top 30. I believe he is an outstanding prospect and sure looks like he has skills that translate to the NFL very well. Anyone have any insight on this kid?

He has the 7th best grade (6.70) among prospects on NFL.com (along with Christian Gonzalez and C.J. Stroud).  I believe the scouting community likes him more than the mock draft community.

I have read that he and Will Anderson were fairly evenly recruited out of high school, but Sanders had some injury history at Bama before transferring to Arkansas.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 08:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Has anyone watched much film on this kid? He is flat out a football player. I am trying to figure out why he is not ranked in at least the top 30. I believe he is an outstanding prospect and sure looks like he has skills that translate to the NFL very well. Anyone have any insight on this kid?

(04-14-2023, 09:05 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: He has the 7th best grade (6.70) among prospects on NFL.com (along with Christian Gonzalez and C.J. Stroud).  I believe the scouting community likes him more than the mock draft community.

I have read that he and Will Anderson were fairly evenly recruited out of high school, but Sanders had some injury history at Bama before transferring to Arkansas.

This is the first I have heard of Drew Sanders, what position does he play again?
Reply/Quote
People want to talk about drafting replacement players because we can’t afford signing all of our good players.

Well. We just signed one of our starting LBs. And the other is supposed to be more expensive, is in the final year of his contract, and has had multiple shoulder injuries…

Sanders sure looks good
Reply/Quote

I would imagine it's because Sanders might be getting mostly considered as an off-ball linebacker, and those guys seem to be losing value when it comes to draft position.
He could be more like Micah Parsons, as he has value as a pass rusher too.
He'll easily be a 2nd rounder, if not late 1st.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is the first I have heard of Drew Sanders, what position does he play again?

Linebacker....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jDXS50H3E

Impressive Pro Day testing:

Broad Jump: 9'10"
Vertical: 37"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.38
40 Yard Dash: 4.59
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would imagine it's because Sanders might be getting mostly considered as an off-ball linebacker, and those guys seem to be losing value when it comes to draft position.
He could be more like Micah Parsons, as he has value as a pass rusher too.
He'll easily be a 2nd rounder, if not late 1st.

I hate that anyone would even consider Parsons a linebacker. The guy is not a linebacker he is an edge rusher he does not do anything a traditional linebacker is tasked with doing.

The reality is that Parsons is a edge rusher that cannot play linebacker and Sanders is a linebacker that can get after the QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 09:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I hate that anyone would even consider Parsons a linebacker. The guy is not a linebacker he is an edge rusher he does not do anything a traditional linebacker is tasked with doing.

The reality is that Parsons is a edge rusher that cannot play linebacker and Sanders is a linebacker that can get after the QB.

In 2021 Micah Parsons spent around 60% of his reps at stack linebacker and around 40% on the edge he mostly played WILL. In 2022 a drastic decrease he spent 80% of his snaps as an edge defender but he wasn't the same player. He had more pressures on alot more pass rush attempts in 2022 but was a better player in 2021. 

As for Sanders he looks like he is going to be a really good back side flow WILL that can reduce to the edge to rush the passer. He is still slow to recognize route combos in zone coverage and wont be a guy you are going to ask to flip the hips and run down the seam.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 09:49 PM)Synric Wrote: In 2021 Micah Parsons spent around 60% of his reps at stack linebacker and around 40% on the edge he mostly played WILL. In 2022 a drastic decrease he spent 80% of his snaps as an edge defender but he wasn't the same player. He had more pressures on alot more pass rush attempts in 2022 but was a better player in 2021. 

As for Sanders he looks like he is going to be a really good back side flow WILL that can reduce to the edge to rush the passer. He is still slow to recognize route combos in zone coverage and wont be a guy you are going to ask to flip the hips and run down the seam.

You take all of this a bit too seriously. So yes as I stated, Dallas obviously feels he was not a better player in '21 and felt that his true value is that of a pass rusher. As far as Sanders goes he has the traits to make him a very good all around LB. There is nothing that indicates that he cannot improve in coverage and in actuality his movement could be an indicator that with reps and coaching he could actually be a really solid coverage LB. 

Numbers are numbers and do not substitute for how a player performs on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 12:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You take all of this a bit too seriously. So yes as I stated, Dallas obviously feels he was not a better player in '21 and felt that his true value is that of a pass rusher. As far as Sanders goes he has the traits to make him a very good all around LB. There is nothing that indicates that he cannot improve in coverage and in actuality his movement could be an indicator that with reps and coaching he could actually be a really solid coverage LB. 

Numbers are numbers and do not substitute for how a player performs on the field. 

Parson is not just an edge rusher he is a versatile defender that is a very good run defender from the WILL. He has over 200 snaps in 2022 at the WILL. Saying he is only one or the other does a great player a disservice because he does it all and does it great. 

Sanders is very new to stack backer and was a trench player most of his Football life. He struggles to recognize route combinations quickly to squeeze routes in zone coverage that that is where he will make his money in the NFL. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like Drew a lot, he exploded on the stat scene last year, a missing link for a defense that needs sacks,sacks, and sacks. Also 6'5" so is he a solution to our covering a tight end? Who knows, but I do not see as best pick in the top 40 for us.
Reply/Quote
I think he falls cause no one seems to be sure what his actual position is.

If we are going LB, then Simpson if he falls in Rd1 or Campbell if he falls in Rd2.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 09:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Linebacker....

Impressive Pro Day testing:

Broad Jump: 9'10"
Vertical: 37"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.38
40 Yard Dash: 4.59

Wow, thanks OSUfan. Been busy so this is the first I could get back to this thread. Looks like a player alright...

We will see if we extend Logan this year or if his shoulder is a concern. I could see us looking at Drew Sanders for sure if it is...

Very instinctive, first thing I look for in a LB, looks to have sideline to sideline speed and those numbers prove his athleticism.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 01:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Parson is not just an edge rusher he is a versatile defender that is a very good run defender from the WILL. He has over 200 snaps in 2022 at the WILL. Saying he is only one or the other does a great player a disservice because he does it all and does it great. 

Sanders is very new to stack backer and was a trench player most of his Football life. He struggles to recognize route combinations quickly to squeeze routes in zone coverage that that is where he will make his money in the NFL. 

For being used a lot as an edge player he seems to be a natural at playing in the stack formation and when you watch his highlight reels or game film then you actually seem to see him off the line more than he is on the line. When I watch film on him I see a kid that really is pretty darn good at distinguishing route combinations and matchups as well as recognizing his role in each for example QBs rolling and understanding when he can pass off coverage to another defender and then choose to pressure the QB.

You speak of a disservice in calling Parsons a rusher but you are doing the same thing to Sanders in your lack of credit to his capabilities.

Yes the following is a highlight reel but I see a pure LB...not sure what you are looking at:

Reply/Quote