Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driskel should be backup QB
After watching 2 preseason games, I like Driskel over Barkley for backup QB. Driskel moves the offense and has great scrambling abilities. In the event Dalton goes down, I am confident Driskel can take over for a while. Of course, the Oline needs to be good for any QB to succeed. I hope Marvin gives spots to those that earn it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He may as well be. If we need a system guy in Barkley I'm sure we can just give him a ring any time during the season and he will be available. Lazor can ring him up wherever and whenever, sort of like Kyle Shanahan giving Rex Grossman short-term jobs for years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Agree, think he was out to prove he can be a good pocket passer tonight and not use his scrambling abilities as much.

Thought he threw some darts that were dropped per WR's not use to that velocity.

He is no Teddy B like I wanted all offseason, but think he will be fine.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He may as well be.  If we need a system guy in Barkley I'm sure we can just give him a ring any time during the season and he will be available.  Lazor can ring him up wherever and whenever, sort of like Kyle Shanahan giving Rex Grossman short-term jobs for years.

Great point.

Barkley will not be signed elsewhere if released...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Great point.

Barkley will not be signed elsewhere if released...

Even if he is picked up by another team, I just can't imagine anyone looking back at 2018 and saying "The Bengals' season was blown when they cut Matt Barkley." There is more of a (super slim) chance people say "The Bengals never should have cut the AMAZIN' Jeff Driskel, seeing what he's become for INSERT OTHER TEAM HERE in these past years!"
Reply/Quote
Is Driskel better than yoga pants ? no

Is he way better than Barkley ? no doubt
Reply/Quote
The thing I like about Driskell is that he stands tall in the pocket. He doesn't panic when it starts to crumble.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The thing I like about Driskell is that he stands tall in the pocket. He doesn't panic when it starts to crumble.

That's a prerequisite to play behind the Bengals' O line the past few years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It wouldn’t hurt my feelings any if Marvin Lewis started bringing in some more quarterback prospects to camp.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals keep Barkely over JD I will be pissed.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The real question is, can Barkely play WR and not break his arm?
Reply/Quote
I said right at the start of camp, if Dalton gets injured our season is over.
I just can't see any of our back ups winning any games if needed
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 11:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It wouldn’t hurt my feelings any if Marvin Lewis started bringing in some more quarterback prospects to camp.

Not much of a competition going on for sure. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I wish they'd just go ahead and release Barkley so we could see more of the drunk kid. He seemed to have a good arm.
Reply/Quote
Teddy Bridgewater is still a name to watch for us in my opinion. Teddy isn't beating out McCown and he surely isn't beating out a top 5 pick. To me, he should be our number one target come cut week followed closely by the best candidate to play RT.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:26 AM)dr1441 Wrote: Teddy Bridgewater is still a name to watch for us in my opinion. Teddy isn't beating out McCown and he surely isn't beating out a top 5 pick. To me, he should be our number one target come cut week followed closely by the best candidate to play RT.

Indeed.

Even if we needed a qb to call on a moments notice isn’t Matt Moore out there somewhere. He would some familiarity with lazors offense if we needed him in a pinch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
While I like the idea of Bridgewater, Driskell has played well enough to be a back up at this point. Driskell has the talent. He had a great HS pedigree.
As long as his arrow is pointing up a bit, he's worth being patient with.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:40 AM)Goalpost Wrote: While I like the idea of Bridgewater, Driskell has played well enough to be a back up at this point.  Driskell has the talent.  He had a great HS pedigree.
As long as his arrow is pointing up a bit, he's worth being patient with.

Agree,

I'd love to get Bridgewater if he becomes available but I highly doubt that's gonna happen. Driskel shows promise, that's about all you can ask for in a backup. It's very rare to have a Joe Montana waiting in the wings.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree, think he was out to prove he can be a good pocket passer tonight and not use his scrambling abilities as much.

Thought he threw some darts that were dropped per WR's not use to that velocity.

He is no Teddy B like I wanted all offseason, but think he will be fine.

I agree and liked that he stayed in the pocket. Hopefully he learned something on the bad play by OG where he held and still gave up the sack, he drops back and becomes stationary, no right or left movement, but also no step up into pocket. If a DL knows you will drop back to a spot and not move even slightly, it makes their path to sack you an easier one and they will figure it out.

I like Driskel, but know he is green and raw, but no reason he can't be developed into a quality starter with time. I have no faith Barkly even with all his hype coming out of college will ver be more than a bask up that may win you a game if the defense makes it winnable, I don't Barkley him winning a shootout ever.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Driskel over Barkley

Matt Moore over Driskel.
Reply/Quote