Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
Sure if he wins the QB competition.

Reply/Quote
A large chunk of his success is due to teams having limited tape on him. Honestly, I wouldn’t even say he is having much success. Mixon had a fantastic game yesterday and Driskell barely averaged six yards per attempt and didn’t even throw for 200 yards.

As a matter of fact, he has yet to have a single game where averaged over 6.3 YPA unless you count New Orleans and KC where he threw a combined 7 passes. League average is in the 7’s IIRC.

The guy isn’t very good.
Reply/Quote
Look, I've been a Dalton supporter, but you naysayers tell me the last time a Dalton led offense put up what should have been 27 points on the road against a top tier football team without AJ and Eifert in the lineup. And Driskel did it with an offense not designed to use his abilities fully. He has better arm strength than Dalton. He's a better athlete than Dalton, AND he appears to be a smart decision maker while having very little playing time. I think the kid deserves a shot. We KNOW what Dalton is. Good enough at times with all pieces around him to win some games but not consistently good enough to do it, especially when he doesn't have his weapons around him. It's time to try a different direction.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Damn.....and here I thought Joe Mixon ran for a TD, and Randy scored 9 points.  Turns out, it was all Driskel!  Shit....I need my eyes checked..... Mellow

That's more like it.  Driskell looks lost much of the time.  No more inspired that San Diego looked yesterday, Andy and Co. might have rung up 40+ on them.  They were ripe for the picking, and the Bengals blew it.  And that's a shame, as the defense actually played with a semi-inspired looking effort. (compared to what we've been seeing most of the year)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:17 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Look, I've been a Dalton supporter, but you naysayers tell me the last time a Dalton led offense put up what should have been 27 points on the road against a top tier football team without AJ and Eifert in the lineup. And Driskel did it with an offense not designed to use his abilities fully. He has better arm strength than Dalton. He's a better athlete than Dalton, AND he appears to be a smart decision maker while having very little playing time. I think the kid deserves a shot. We KNOW what Dalton is. Good enough at times with all pieces around him to win some games but not consistently good enough to do it, especially when he doesn't have his weapons around him. It's time to try a different direction.

At Indy this year.
At Baltimore last year.

Also, you're saying Dalton isn't good enough to get it done. Meanwhile Driskel is 0-2 as a starter.
This week, the only QBs that had less passing yards than Driskel were Mariota, Jackson, Trubisky, Stafford, and Sanchez.
That's bottom 6.
Granted, last week was better. But.....they only scored 10 points and it was an awful game.

Also, Andy Dalton is the only reason the Bengals were able to score 21 points against the Ravens (on the road...again). If it wasn't for a dropped pass, who knows how that game would have went. Heck. They almost beat the Steelers but the defense let them down.

Andy Dalton is why the Bengals started off 4-1. Crazy how quickly people forget about that.

Wonder if you were one of the people clamoring for AJ McCarron to be our starter.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:35 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

You should know.  You are the one making up the claim that Whit did not want to return when in fact he had his agent negotiate with the Bengals before any other team.
Reply/Quote
Based on current evidence, absolutely not. Are there QBs that are much better than Dalton? Sure. Is Driskel one of them? Don't think so.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if he's better than Dalton, but he sure looks better than Macaroni.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:13 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A large chunk of his success is due to teams having limited tape on him. Honestly, I wouldn’t even say he is having much success. Mixon had a fantastic game yesterday and Driskell barely averaged six yards per attempt and didn’t even throw for 200 yards.

As a matter of fact, he has yet to have a single game where averaged over 6.3 YPA unless you count New Orleans and KC where he threw a combined 7 passes. League average is in the 7’s IIRC.

The guy isn’t very good.

When folks start pulling out things like YPA you know they're just looking hard to find a negative. The kid had a passer rating in the high 90s against a quality opponent, with a makeshift Oline and limited receivers. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets wait and see what other teams will be willing to offer for Driskel. He is only 25 and under contrac next year for less than a million dollars. I am sure teams will be offering us first round picks for him.

Dalton is too old and expensive to trade.

We might even be able to get McCarron back for him...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Driskel by scoring drive

3 passes for 18 yards, including two dump offs to Mixon for 12 of them. FG
2 passes for 25 1 rush for 3. FG
1 pass 7 yds for TD.
3 passes for 31. FG
3 passes for 33, including two dump offs for 13. Rushing TD

Driskel didn’t do a whole lot, this game was dictated by Joe Mixon and the defense. He did what you ask an average back up QB to do manage the game make a couple decent throws and don’t screw up. Acting like it was some great triumph is the standard love affair people have with back up QBs. He is basically the same as the Mullins dude out in San Fran, a capable back up that can be in position to win if all goes right.
Reply/Quote
The sample size is small, remember how many people wanted AJM to be the starter? He couldn't even make the Bills this year and was traded for a mid to late round pick.

I like the running ability of J Driskel however he has a lot to prove in these last 3 games to be thrown into the 2019 "starter" conversation
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is the starter next year, not sure why this is even a question haha. Even with a new coach I am guessing they will make him for a year with Dalton first before ripping up their core.
Reply/Quote
It amazes me how Dalton gets burned for everything, but people can make exception with Driskell

Fact of the matter is. The playbook isn't opened up for Driskell. He's dumping off short passes. I think San Diego looked TERRIBLE yesterday, including their stout offense. I think we should chalk it up as a team that ALMOST fell into a trap game.

I have zero issue with Driskell. I think he's a competent back up. Starter? I don't see it.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:17 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Look, I've been a Dalton supporter, but you naysayers tell me the last time a Dalton led offense put up what should have been 27 points on the road against a top tier football team without AJ and Eifert in the lineup. And Driskel did it with an offense not designed to use his abilities fully. He has better arm strength than Dalton. He's a better athlete than Dalton, AND he appears to be a smart decision maker while having very little playing time. I think the kid deserves a shot. We KNOW what Dalton is. Good enough at times with all pieces around him to win some games but not consistently good enough to do it, especially when he doesn't have his weapons around him. It's time to try a different direction.

Driskell had 170 yards passing. You act like he threw for 400 yards.

The running game is where the points came from.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andy Dalton is the starter next year, not sure why this is even a question haha. Even with a new coach I am guessing they will make him for a year with Dalton first before ripping up their core.

This. 

I could see a possible succession being drafted this year. If Dalton faults, put him in. Otherwise, I'd do the Kitna/Palmer situation and let the kid grow. 

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Driskell had 170 yards passing. You act like he threw for 400 yards.

The running game is where the points came from.

Dude...

Those were some serious 170 yards...like long ones. 

Reply/Quote
2 starts. 2 losses. Makes sense.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:17 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: It amazes me how Dalton gets burned for everything, but people can make exception with Driskell

Fact of the matter is. The playbook isn't opened up for Driskell. He's dumping off short passes. I think San Diego looked TERRIBLE yesterday, including their stout offense. I think we should chalk it up as a team that ALMOST fell into a trap game.

I have zero issue with Driskell. I think he's a competent back up. Starter? I don't see it.

No doubt the folks making excuses for Driskell is amazing. While folks never give "reasons" why Andy was 22 of 29 in passer rating when he went down. 

Kid had a good game against a quality opponent.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt the folks making excuses for Driskell is amazing. While folks never give "reasons" why Andy was 22 of 29 in passer rating when he went down. 

Kid had a good game against a quality opponent.

Jeez. When you put it like that I'm not sure why Driskell isn't making 20 million a year. He had such a fantastic game with the 170 yards. 

This has and always will be pointless. I never understood it and never will. Dalton is hit on for his accuracy. Pocket presence. He wakes up on the wrong side of bed and has Skippy PB for breakfast. Driskell missed wide open throws. I think maybe two, maybe three went beyond the first down marker (fair, that's on play calls) and he took multiple sacks he shouldn't have taken. 

Ultimately, the point I've always, ALWAYS tried to make in the situation is it wasn't Dalton. It wasn't Palmer. It isn't Driskell. We could plug Montana in there and this team would stumble. 

Reply/Quote