Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
Really? With what team?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Really? With what team?

Washington Sentinels.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Bengals fans are the Kings and Queens of looking at mediocre or average talent on their own team and totally incomprehensibly overrating them. The kid looks like a backup. He's often inaccurate, high on throws, lacks pocket awareness and , and has thrown multiple passes that should have been picked including an egregious one in the red zone. He's lost every game he started. He's a middling backup for goodness sakes
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When folks start pulling out things like YPA you know they're just looking hard to find a negative. The kid had a passer rating in the high 90s against a quality opponent, with a makeshift Oline and limited receivers. 

YPA is a major stat for QBs, and has been for some time.

Also, a passer rating of 95 is quite literally the league average this season. 

Driskell isn't good.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is too old and expensive to trade.

Jay Gruden might want him, but this thread is 3 pages long so I'm sure someone else has pointed this possibility out by now.

EDIT - Guess not. Well, Alex Smith isn't going to be ready for the start of 2019 if he' still going to play again, so it's possible. Trading away a starting QB who is willing to actually play here seems like too much work for Mike Brown, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: YPA is a major stat for QBs, and has been for some time.

Also, a passer rating of 95 is quite literally the league average this season. 

Driskell isn't good.

No doubt. I hear folks all the time talking about Brady's 7.5 YPA for his career.

He may not be good, but he had a fine game against a quality opponent.

If 95 is the average passer rating, what would you call someone with an 89?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If we win out (which I hope we don't), then maybe. Beating the Steelers is something Dalton struggles at.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. I hear folks all the time talking about Brady's 7.5 YPA for his career.

He may not be good, but he had a fine game against a quality opponent.

If 95 is the average passer rating, what would you call someone with an 89?

That's a good YPA. Since Brady came into the league, the average has been 7.3 He's slightly above average in that regard, so I'm not sure what point you are making. YPA is also a big factor in the passer rating.

For Driskel, he had a fine game. League wide, he didn't have a fine game. Perhaps I need to look at it with the perspective that he is a back-up quality player. In that case, I would say you are correct and I am being too harsh on him.

I would call them a quarterback who needs to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
Huh... I'm no Dalton lover but are you serious?
Reply/Quote
Personally, I feel more confident that Driskel can lead this team in beating the Raiders this Sunday. If the defense plays as well as they did on Sunday, I think they can beat the Browns as well. They are not beating the Steelers. If he's the starter next year with a healthy AJ and Eifert and better OL, I still don't they he brings them to a playoff appearance. Like a previous poster said, once teams have a decent amount of game tape on you, they will adjust.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the OP: It would be nice if it were an open competition; but it won't

This.

Too small a sample size to say he should steal Dalton’s job. He’s played well but he’s not settling the world on fire or anything.

Dalton should not be the automatic #1 though. Make him beat Driskel out.

Reply/Quote
Driskel throws better on the run has much more speed then Dalton and a pretty strong arm he does not have tunnel vision for one or two WR like Dalton seems to have Driskel is also 6'4. If he is close in overall talent we could save a ton of cash playing him and moving on from Dalton. That might help us bringing in guys to fill holes which we seem to have on the Oline Price and Westerman are two young guys to build around. I hope Glenn's not so great year was due to injury trying to fill two Oline spots in one year is enough of a challenge.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:46 PM)Brimey Wrote: The kid looks like a backup. He's often inaccurate, high on throws, lacks pocket awareness and , and has thrown multiple passes that should have been picked including an egregious one in the red zone. 

You talking about Dalton or Driskell? 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 11:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's a good YPA. Since Brady came into the league, the average has been 7.3 He's slightly above average in that regard, so I'm not sure what point you are making. YPA is also a big factor in the passer rating.

For Driskel, he had a fine game. League wide, he didn't have a fine game. Perhaps I need to look at it with the perspective that he is a back-up quality player. In that case, I would say you are correct and I am being too harsh on him.

I would call them a quarterback who needs to be replaced.

As I said: No one applauds Brady's YPA. Is completion percentage as important as YPA? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Jesus .... i know its pretty bad around here, okay ... really really bad, but is this really the level we are sinking to? Fans getting all thirsty for Driskel .... please cmon people we are better than that.

Reminds me of the AJ McCarron nonsense. All the fans begging for that bum to start, and even Cincinnati media types saying he is gonna get big money in free agency. What a joke.
Reply/Quote
I saw just as much bad from Driskel as I saw good on Sunday.

He missed wide open targets, threw into triple coverage multiple times, took multiple unnecessary sacks, he seemed indecisive and was easy to read by the defense (the announcers commented on how the defense was reading his eyes several times during the game). Despite his athleticism he didn't appear to be slippery in the pocket and actually looked like an Eli Manning Level statue on a few of those sacks.

He has a gun for an arm and, when accurate, he made some very pretty throws. He's also pretty athletic (although not great at the read option for some reason) and can run for first downs and touchdowns on occasion.

We've not yet seen him throw it deep. Granted, we never saw Andy throw it deep this year either, which continues to vex me...

All said, he seems like a downgrade to Andy in virtually every way except maybe his athleticism to run (but not evade in the pocket).

I see no real reason to make him the starter next season.

If Andy is healthy, he's the guy.
Reply/Quote
Driskell over Dalton next year? Uh...no.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
His passing statistics are poor, maybe if he played with AJ they'd be better, no clue. He holds the ball way too long, we're used to Andy getting the ball out fast. I don't know, I don't see either of our QBs winning a playoff game anyway.
Reply/Quote
Either way we are going to have to draft a replacement. “The answer” is not currently on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If Merv is still the coach no competition will be allowed no matter the results.

If Merv is gone, all bets are off and anything could happen.

Personally, I'd like to see a competition between that two and a fixed OL.

That would be the best scenario, in my opinion too.  Then, if neither impresses, look for the draft.  This year's QB class doesn't excite me much.

I wouldn't be opposed to a guy like Bridgewater being brought in either to compete.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote