Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-11-2018, 01:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: No one applauds Brady's YPA. Is completion percentage as important as YPA? 

Definitely not this season because you have multiple QBs over 9 YPA which is incredibly impressive. Passing attacks have blown up. However, Brady has had some big seasons where it was applauded. Namely, 2007 and 2011.

As important in what context? They’re both equally important and feed off each other in my eyes. They’re both major stats. YPA tells more of the story than completion percentage does, but neither of them are all encompassing stats.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's more like it.  Driskell looks lost much of the time.  No more inspired that San Diego looked yesterday, Andy and Co. might have rung up 40+ on them.  They were ripe for the picking, and the Bengals blew it.  And that's a shame, as the defense actually played with a semi-inspired looking effort. (compared to what we've been seeing most of the year)

Absolutely. I like the guy, and I like his athleticism, but I think he has a ways to go on the rest.  The game plan was what made us look better....can't believe I just said that, lol.  We actually led T.O.P. late in the third quarter.  When's the last time you recall that happening?  We did that by staying with Mixon, and he delivered.  As you said, the defense played much better, and were able to get off the field on 3rd down.  When have we seen that this season?

THOSE were the keys to playing a close game at SD, not 18/27 170 1/0.  If Dalton had put up those numbers, people would be clamoring for a change.  This is worse than "start AJM" in 2015.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The lack of football knowledge in this thread is comical.

Driskel is a 6'4/230 pound freak athlete. He does things on the football field that Dalton simply can't. The play where he avoided the sack and scored the non-TD is a play that Dalton gets sacked on 100 out of 100 times. The kid has posted an 89.8 QB rating in the first ever regular season  action in his career. By the way, Dalton's career QB rating is 88.8. Driskel has thrown for 3 TD's and run for 2 more in 2.5 games in an offense not designed for him and with a WR group of Boyd and a bunch of nobodies. Has he been outstanding? No. Is he a young QB that could develop into something good given his physical attributes? Absolutely.

Dalton posted less than a 65 QB rating 3 times this year against bad defenses (Carolona, KC, NO), and posted a 70.4 rating in a half against a terrible Browns defense. The fact that some of you still think he can lead this team to anything other than absolute mediocrity is mind boggling. 

This team is going nowhere. They are not going to win next year. The roster is comprised of aging players whose production is slipping and young players who either need time to develop or that have been bad draft picks. I would draft a QB, move on from Dalton, and see what you have in Driskel with an offense designed to fit him. At this point what do you have to lose? Another season of not making the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
Oh by the way, Patrick Mahomes posted a 74 QB rating, threw for 0 TD's and an INT in his only start last season in an offense that included Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Kareem Hunt. He sucks, right? Nothing to see there.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:43 AM)Fullrock Wrote: The lack of football knowledge in this thread is comical.

Driskel is a 6'4/230 pound freak athlete. He does things on the football field that Dalton simply can't. The play where he avoided the sack and scored the non-TD is a play that Dalton gets sacked on 100 out of 100 times. The kid has posted an 89.8 QB rating in the first ever regular season  action in his career. By the way, Dalton's career QB rating is 88.8. Driskel has thrown for 3 TD's and run for 2 more in 2.5 games in an offense not designed for him and with a WR group of Boyd and a bunch of nobodies. Has he been outstanding? No. Is he a young QB that could develop into something good given his physical attributes? Absolutely.

Dalton posted less than a 65 QB rating 3 times this year against bad defenses (Carolona, KC, NO), and posted a 70.4 rating in a half against a terrible Browns defense. The fact that some of you still think he can lead this team to anything other than absolute mediocrity is mind boggling. 

This team is going nowhere. They are not going to win next year. The roster is comprised of aging players whose production is slipping and young players who either need time to develop or that have been bad draft picks. I would draft a QB, move on from Dalton, and see what you have in Driskel with an offense designed to fit him. At this point what do you have to lose? Another season of not making the playoffs?

You're right on that.....Jamarcus Russell was a "freak" too. Mellow

AJ McCarron had "it". Mellow

Driskel has the same issues he had in college.  I'd like a new QB too, but I'd bridge the gap with Dalton, or another FA QB.  Driskel is a good backup.  That's all there is to it.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When folks start pulling out things like YPA you know they're just looking hard to find a negative. The kid had a passer rating in the high 90s against a quality opponent, with a makeshift Oline and limited receivers. 

Funny.....all of that is "excuses" for certain players from certain posters. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right on that.....Jamarcus Russell was a "freak" too. Mellow

AJ McCarron had "it". Mellow

Driskel has the same issues he had in college.  I'd like a new QB too, but I'd bridge the gap with Dalton, or another FA QB.  Driskel is a good backup.  That's all there is to it.
So now we're comparing Driskel to Jamarcus Russell? LOL. Russell was a freak athlete but also a complete turd. There was a story published recently wherr Raiders coaches suspected he was not studying film so they have him blank tapes to take home. The next day he showed up at practice and said he had studied blitz packages.The tapes had nothing on them. Russell was also dumber than a rock. 

Driskel is an intelligent kid. Listen to him talk. And by all accounts he works hard. He's the anti-Jamarcus Russell.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 12:30 PM)Fullrock Wrote: So now we're comparing Driskel to Jamarcus Russell? LOL. Russell was a freak athlete but also a complete turd. There was a story published recently wherr Raiders coaches suspected he was not studying film so they have him blank tapes to take home. The next day he showed up at practice and said he had studied blitz packages.The tapes had nothing on them. Russell was also dumber than a rock. 

Driskel is an intelligent kid. Listen to him talk. And by all accounts he works hard. He's the anti-Jamarcus Russell.

So was Tim Tebow, and look what it got him..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 12:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So was Tim Tebow, and look what it got him..

More playoff wins than any Bengals QB since Boomer?

Ok that hurt my heart a little to type.

Reply/Quote
The problem with this team hasn't been Dalton, or Palmer, or Kitna, or you could insert any of dozens of other QB's here______________.

I would love it if Driskel morphed into A. Rodgers 2.0 but I highly doubt it. And I highly doubt he's the answer to our prayers as starting QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 01:20 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Driskel throws better on the run has much more speed then Dalton and a pretty strong arm he does not have tunnel vision for one or two WR like Dalton seems to have Driskel is also 6'4. If he is close in overall talent we could save a ton of cash playing him and moving on from Dalton. That might help us bringing in guys to fill holes which we seem to have on the Oline Price and Westerman are two young guys to build around. I hope Glenn's not so great year was due to injury trying to fill two Oline spots in one year is enough of a challenge.

You don't think if AJ had played Sunday, Driskel wouldn't have been looking for him? Also why wouldn't Andy be looking for Green or Boyd? They are the only 2 receivers we have, that's not tunnel vision.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Funny.....all of that is "excuses" for certain players from certain posters. Mellow

What's soup for the goose isn't soup for the gander, all the time, is it ?  Say What
Reply/Quote
These same people claiming Driskel should start is the same people who were calling form McCarron to start. And we all know how off they were on their scouting on the talents of McCarron (who had to sign a 2 year 5 million contact in FA and still got traded away after not lasting to the start of the season).

No shade. Just a little tea to sip on as you read this thread, and their overall excitement over a 174 yards passing outing in a loss.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 01:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: These same people claiming Driskel should start is the same people who were calling form McCarron to start. And we all know how off they were on their scouting on the talents of McCarron (who had to sign a 2 year 5 million contact in FA and still got traded away after not lasting to the start of the season).

No shade. Just a little tea to sip on as you read this thread, and their overall excitement over a 174 yards passing outing in a loss.

Nice try, but I never once said McCarron should be the starter. Once again, I've been a Dalton supporter, but he just is what he is. Good enough that mediocrity is his ceiling. Maybe that's Driskel too, but the kid has some attributes Dalton doesn't, and you don't know what his ceiling is unless you play him and find out.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is too old and expensive to trade.

Is he?  He's at $16m 2019 and $17.5m 2020.  Cheaper than Alex Smith is/was.  Pretty comparable.  Case Keenum slated to make $18m next year.

I'm starting to believe that winning in the NFL today is done one of two ways.  Either you have an elite QB that overcomes talent issues at other positions, or you have a super cheap QB that allows for better talent than most opponents.  Maybe you are the Chiefs/Rams and get elite play from a super cheap QB (Eagles last year).  You don't really find out if your cheap QB is elite though until he starts making elite money dragging down surrounding talent.

I love Andy Dalton the man on and off the field.  I don't think he's overpaid.  I am starting to think though that no real winning is done in the modern NFL with a mediocre starting QB making veteran money.   
Reply/Quote
I feel like Driskel could be the next Tom Brady seeing as he is a late round QB no one wanted. Then again, I can see Tom Savage being the next Kurt Warner, since he was cut and disparaged. Either way, I think we have a pretty good shot of having at least one HOF-er in our QB room right now. Bo Levi Mitchell is probably going to go from the Calgary Stampeders to trying out for NFL rosters this year, so maybe we can pick up the next CFL to NFL HOF-er ala Warren Moon in him too, just to hedge our bets.
Reply/Quote
The sample size for me is too small to say he should be the starter next year, even though I think he has done an admirable job being thrown in a difficult position. Difficult position being the team was spiraling downward, makeshift o-line, no AJ, Lazor, costly mistakes around him.

At the same time, I am at the point after seeing 8 years of Andy with his 4 playoff appearances and his horrendous numbers in those games (which the last one he played in was 4 years ago) to move on from him. That is assuming there is new coaching and hopeful minor changes elsewhere like being simply better in free agency and trades.

So I don't fault anyone that wants to see Driskel start next year, I get it. The main thing though it's just time for some major wholesale changes, and Driskell just happens to be the guy out there at the moment. Personally I would rather see a new QB from the draft after thorough research is done.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 07:17 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Look, I've been a Dalton supporter, but you naysayers tell me the last time a Dalton led offense put up what should have been 27 points on the road against a top tier football team without AJ and Eifert in the lineup. And Driskel did it with an offense not designed to use his abilities fully. He has better arm strength than Dalton. He's a better athlete than Dalton, AND he appears to be a smart decision maker while having very little playing time. I think the kid deserves a shot. We KNOW what Dalton is. Good enough at times with all pieces around him to win some games but not consistently good enough to do it, especially when he doesn't have his weapons around him. It's time to try a different direction.

Did you edit that qualifier in there after wolfkaosaun made his reply? LOL

I don't think Dalton has played a single game where he was (1) on the road, (2) playing a top tier team and was (3) without AJ and (4) without Eifert. 

(12-10-2018, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When folks start pulling out things like YPA you know they're just looking hard to find a negative. The kid had a passer rating in the high 90s against a quality opponent, with a makeshift Oline and limited receivers. 

You used to boast about McCarron's passer rating as well. Where is he now?

We're using a limited offense and taking advantage of teams not having much tape on Driskel. Just like McCarron.

The limited "success" (the games haven't even been impressive) will be short lived and Driskel will most likely end up like Mac.

I guess it's okay to be wrong over and over again though. Maybe the next backup will work out.

(12-10-2018, 11:38 PM)Shady Wrote: If we win out (which I hope we don't), then maybe. Beating the Steelers is something Dalton struggles at.

Palmer struggled at it too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Wow Really? No...just No.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I wont pass judgement on Driskel until he gets a oline that can keep.him out of 3rd and lgs etc.
the Bengals must lead the NFL in false starts.
Driskel is gonna make errors.he has less than 5 starts. Driskel has a OC thats stuck in 1996 and lacking a true #1 WR.
of course hes gonna throw in double coverage.
so far he has promise.
he can put the ball in narrow windows and has he escability just ask Joey Bosa
Reply/Quote