Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving Past Paul Brown Stadium
(12-31-2016, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have been to more Super Bowls than a dozen other teams but we are not even mediocre?

Oh, that's right we have to ignore everything good in our history so that we can all be huge whiny drama queens.

Unless they are 40+ a Bengal's fan most likely does not have any first hand memories of those superbowls and playoff glory. (Unless they have much better eary life memory retention than I do).  So while you say "we've been to more superbowls than a dozen other teams" does it even matter if only @50% of the population was even alive then and less than @40% even have memories of these good old days?  They are, in fact, right that in their lifetime the Bengals have struggled to be mediocre.  

Age data http://www.infoplease.com/us/census/data/demographic.html

(12-31-2016, 06:07 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Mike Brown is saving on electricity by turning off the lights. That's his MO. Saving money in any way he can regardless of the outcome.

I heard that at night Mike haunts the bowels of the stadium searching for lost change and playing his organ.

[Image: 1468679918-002_the_phantom_of_the_opera_theredlist.jpg]

"Deformed since birth, a bitter man known only as the Phantom Mike Brown lives in the sewers underneath the Paris Opera House Paul Brown Stadium. He falls in love with the obscure chorus singer Christine piano player Paul Alexander, and privately tutors her cuddles him while terrorizing the rest of the opera house fans and demanding Christine Paul be given lead roles."

Sounds like the basis of a timeless tale.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals have small city syndrome, it's something Marvin cannot overcome. They all panic on the national stage. As far as the Reds..baseball contracts have gotten out of hand. They simply cannot compete.

Which is why I stopped watching baseball. The Reds are just a farm team for the rest of the league.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 06:37 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yep, there's a hell of a lot to be proud of up to and including January 6, 1991. For those feeling nostalgic about what a playoff win looks like, enjoy:

Thanks for posting this. I started following the Bengals in '93, so I would be one of those people Burma talked about. I haven't even watched any videos of Bengals playoff wins, outside of some old Freezer Bowl footage from the year I was born. So I think I'll go ahead and watch this. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I honestly had no idea Boomer could move like that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly had no idea Boomer could move like that.

I know, right?  That was a hell of a run.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 12:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks for posting this. I started following the Bengals in '93, so I would be one of those people Burma talked about. I haven't even watched any videos of Bengals playoff wins, outside of some old Freezer Bowl footage from the year I was born. So I think I'll go ahead and watch this. ThumbsUp

Awesome find. That was flawless execution.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 07:13 PM)Burma Wrote: Unless they are 40+ a Bengal's fan most likely does not have any first hand memories of those superbowls and playoff glory. (Unless they have much better eary life memory retention than I do).  So while you say "we've been to more superbowls than a dozen other teams" does it even matter if only @50% of the population was even alive then and less than @40% even have memories of these good old days?  They are, in fact, right that in their lifetime the Bengals have struggled to be mediocre.  

Age data http://www.infoplease.com/us/census/data/demographic.html

This is total BS.  If someone who had just been a fan since '11 talked about how good the Bengals have been the first thing you would throw at them is what happened in the '90's.

A teams history is its history.  You can't cry your eyes out about what happened in the 90's and act like the 80's never happened because "that was too long ago".
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is total BS.  If someone who had just been a fan since '11 talked about how good the Bengals have been the first thing you would throw at them is what happened in the '90's.

A teams history is its history.  You can't cry your eyes out about what happened in the 90's and act like the 80's never happened because "that was too long ago".

Fred, by golly, it seems like you just made up a random fact about me.  Go on.  I d so love your "old man yells at cloud" moments.

[Image: simpson-abe-stereotpes-medium_trans_NvBQ...2jJnT8.jpg]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:12 AM)Burma Wrote: Fred, by golly, it seems like you just made up a random fact about me.  Go on.  I d so love your "old man yells at cloud" moments.

[Image: simpson-abe-stereotpes-medium_trans_NvBQ...2jJnT8.jpg]

And once again you avoid the point I made.

you can't just cut out on part of a teams history because it makes it easier for you to whine about it.

You can't say what happened in the 90's is relevent while what happened in the 80's is not.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And once again you avoid the point I made.

you can't just cut out on part of a teams history because it makes it easier for you to whine about it.

You can't say what happened in the 90's is relevent while what happened in the 80's is not.

See Fred, you didn't really make a point.  You made this cute little strawman and just lit his ass on fire.  Then appluaded your self.  

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 06:37 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yep, there's a hell of a lot to be proud of up to and including January 6, 1991. For those feeling nostalgic about what a playoff win looks like, enjoy:

Man, I miss those old uniforms.

That boring ass field…not so much.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Any Bengals fan who feels inferior to the Brown's because they won a single playoff game 18 years ago needs some therapy.

Seriously some of you obsess a little too much on the lack of a playoff game.  I mean, seriously, we have been to 2 Superbowls but a bunch of you are whimpering about how the Browns are superior to us.  That is just ridiculous.  It is like you are looking as hard as you can for something to cry about.

The Browns have the 3rd most superbowl/championship wins than any other franchise in the NFL. At least they have history they can point to. We have a trophy case with division winner trophies and 2 AFC champion trophies. Just because we have done more in the regular season recently doesn't mean anything if we can't win when it matters.

I'm going to be 28 at the end of the month and the Bengals have only won one playoff game in my lifetime (I was 1) and have never been past the divisional round of the playoffs in my lifetime.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is total BS.  If someone who had just been a fan since '11 talked about how good the Bengals have been the first thing you would throw at them is what happened in the '90's.

You can when the past is inevitably the future year after year. More of the same, status quo, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 10:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We can't even say we're mediocre. We haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. EVERY single team in the NFL has won one over that time period.

If it's not the last playoff game you win, does it really matter?

How better off are the Browns, Lions, Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Chargers, Rams, Cardinals, Falcons, Bears, Vikings, and the Eagles because they have won a playoff game within the last 26 years?

Have those playoff games brought more money to those cities?

Here's what the players make, peanuts compared to many of their annual salaries:

Wild-Card Round—Division Winner: $25,000

Wild-Card Team: $23,000
Divisional Round: $25,000
Conference Championship: $46,000
Super Bowl Winner: $102,000
Super Bowl Loser: $51,000

Outside of that, what benefit is there?  The same bragging rights the Bengals get when they beat the Browns??
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 09:49 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Browns have the 3rd most superbowl/championship wins than any other franchise in the NFL. At least they have history they can point to. We have a trophy case with division winner trophies and 2 AFC champion trophies. Just because we have done more in the regular season recently doesn't mean anything if we can't win when it matters.

I'm going to be 28 at the end of the month and the Bengals have only won one playoff game in my lifetime (I was 1) and have never been past the divisional round of the playoffs in my lifetime.

Perfect example of what I was talking about.

To Brownshoe the distant past is very important when judging the Browns, but when it comes to the Bengals all that matters is what happened in his lifetime.  He has abandoned any consistency in his logic just to make the Bengals look as bad as possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 12:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You can when the past is inevitably the future year after year. More of the same, status quo, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But the future is not inevitable.  

I remember when so many people on the old boards said that the Bengals would never make it to the playoffs consistently because it was "impossible" for Marvin to do that.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the future is not inevitable.  

I remember when so many people on the old boards said that the Bengals would never make it to the playoffs consistently because it was "impossible" for Marvin to do that.

The glory days of the 90s!!

Look at it like this, Mike Brown was such a horrible failure when took ownership until he hired Lewis, that he's afraid to turn him loose for fear of regressing back to that time.  Somewhere deep down I think that fear and darkness haunts him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 01:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: The glory days of the 90s!!

No.  Not thre 90's.  In fact it was just 6 years ago that so many people were quoting the stat about how long it had been since the Bengals had made the playoffs in back-to-back years.

I am sure no one here will admit it, but anyone who was on the old boards at that time will certainly remember.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  Not thre 90's.  In fact it was just 6 years ago that so many people were quoting the stat about how long it had been since the Bengals had made the playoffs in back-to-back years.

I am sure no one here will admit it, but anyone who was on the old boards at that time will certainly remember.

I was here since 2012 and don't recall everything that was said, but I do know that if someone had told fans back in the 90s that one day the Bengals will go to the playoffs 5 years in a row, that person would have been convicted by reason of insanity!!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Perfect example of what I was talking about.

To Brownshoe the distant past is very important when judging the Browns, but when it comes to the Bengals all that matters is what happened in his lifetime.  He has abandoned any consistency in his logic just to make the Bengals look as bad as possible.

Nope, just point out that the Browns past is better than ours. What we are doing better than the Browns recently isn't even that much better because we can't win when it matters and they can't win when it matters. What does it matter if we get to the playoffs just to lose? We are considered to be a team like the Browns to playoff teams in the playoffs. Teams absolutely love when they see theyre playing the Bengals in the playoffs becsuse it's basically then getting a bye to the divisional round. Nice try spinning my argument though. 
Reply/Quote