Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropbox Question?
Might seem like a stupid question but I just want to make sure that I don't lose everything.

If I get a new computer and my Dropbox isn't set up anywhere else, can I still access everything on there when I set-up my new computer?

All the content will still be in my Dropbox even if I throw this computer away, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 03:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Might seem like a stupid question but I just want to make sure that I don't lose everything.

If I get a new computer and my Dropbox isn't set up anywhere else, can I still access everything on there when I set-up my new computer?

All the content will still be in my Dropbox even if I throw this computer away, right?

from my understanding Dropbox is a cloud based storage....  So all you will need to do is log into your account from your new device.  (and maybe go thru whatever security measures to prove you are you)   

Just things saved locally on your machine would be lost.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 04:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: from my understanding Dropbox is a cloud based storage....  So all you will need to do is log into your account from your new device.  (and maybe go thru whatever security measures to prove you are you)   

Just things saved locally on your machine would be lost.

That's what I figured but just wanted to make sure ThumbsUp

Thanks Xeno!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 04:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I figured but just wanted to make sure ThumbsUp

Thanks Xeno!

if possible id make sure before getting rid of your old machine.  just in case you missed something you wanted
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if possible id make sure before getting rid of your old machine.  just in case you missed something you wanted

Definitely this.  Sometimes the syncing pauses and doesn't upload everything.  It's been years since I've used Dropbox with any regularity, but I've had personal and work accounts over the years and ensuring the files are all synced up is key before shutting things down on an old machine. Once that's done, the files should stay in Dropbox (cloud) for access from any other machine.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote