Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drue Chrisman, take a bow!
We have a new franchise punter!

His first NFL game:

3 punts, 50 yard average, but more importantly, a 44,7 yard net. With that wind knocking Evan Almighty's kickoffs down, that is nothing short of impressive.

Here were the punts:

Punt 1: 53 yard punt to 5 yard line, followed by 3 and out.

Punt 2: 57 yard punt to 9 yard line, followed by 3 and out, and then Bengals TD

Punt 3: 40 yard punt from his own endzone (into the wind with enough hang time to have zero return).

Nice job, Drue.

Classy touch: Kevin Huber went and got the ball from his first NFL punt. Well done, Kevin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We have a new franchise punter!

His first NFL game:

3 punts, 50 yard average, but more importantly, a 44,7 yard net.  With that wind knocking Evan Almighty's kickoffs down, that is nothing short of impressive.

Here were the punts:

Punt 1:  53 yard punt to 5 yard line, followed by 3 and out.

Punt 2:  57 yard punt to 9 yard line, followed by 3 and out, and then Bengals TD

Punt 3:  40 yard punt from his own endzone (into the wind with enough hang time to have zero return).  

Nice job, Drue.  

Classy touch:  Kevin Huber went and got the ball from his first NFL punt.  Well done, Kevin.

Yes, that was very impressive. And good holds for McPherson. I feel much more optimistic after this change. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah, hats off to Huber for many years of quality work, but you know it's time when the new guy comes in and immediately impacts the game positively. That long kick that lead to the muff really had an impact on field position.
Reply/Quote
Crisman was close to getting a safety one his first punt ever when the returner couldn't handle it and it bounced right into the end zone.

Fortunately for the returner it cherry hopped back up to him upon arrival and he was able to get back out of the end zone.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He's got a decent sized leg, but I don't think he has the greatest touch that you see in franchise punters like Johnny Hekker. I think his two inside the 10 were more due to errors of judgement on the returner's part than precise placement of the punter. Had the returned not fielded either, they may have bounced into the end zone.

We'll see if he gets better at those inside 20 yard punts in future weeks, as I do think he'll be our punter for the remainder of the year. He does seem to be an improvement over Huber, after all.

However, I think the punter job should remain a competition in 2023. Just between Crisman and maybe a 7th round pick/priority UDFA, rather than Huber.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:33 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Crisman was close to getting a safety one his first punt ever when the returner couldn't handle it and it bounced right into the end zone.

Fortunately for the returner it cherry hopped back up to him upon arrival and he was able to get back out of the end zone.

Haven't re-watched but I need to know the Bengal defender that didn't even get a hand on him as he was in the endzone.  I'm betting Mike "I get there but whiff everytime" Thomas.  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He's got a decent sized leg, but I don't think he has the greatest touch that you see in franchise punters like Johnny Hekker. I think his two inside the 10 were more due to errors of judgement on the returner's part than precise placement of the punter. Had the returned not fielded either, they may have bounced into the end zone.

We'll see if he gets better at those inside 20 yard punts in future weeks, as I do think he'll be our punter for the remainder of the year. He does seem to be an improvement over Huber, after all.

However, I think the punter job should remain a competition in 2023.

With the winds swirling at that stadium, I think he did a hell of a job.  Like Lapham always says "The Hidden Yards".  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: With the winds swirling at that stadium, I think he did a hell of a job.  Like Lapham always says "The Hidden Yards".  

Absolutely and for someone to even compare him to franchise punters on the 1st 3 punts of his career is ridiculous and to blame a couple inside the 10 on error judgements is also rather stupid. He freakin' did what he did.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:33 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Crisman was close to getting a safety one his first punt ever when the returner couldn't handle it and it bounced right into the end zone.

The announcers seemed to imply a safety if the returner didn't get out of the end zone, but wouldn't it really have been a touchback and ball out to the 20? The receiver never got possession, if I recall, until he was in the end zone. My  understanding is that if the returner doesn't have possession and it bounces into the end zone that it comes out to the 20. My thought at the time was that the returner made a mistake bringing it out. (Almost as bad as the KC kick returner that "saved" the kickoff from going out of bounds at the 5.)
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: With the winds swirling at that stadium, I think he did a hell of a job.  Like Lapham always says "The Hidden Yards".  

If the wind was a big factor and he kills it the rest of the season, I'll be super happy :)
Reply/Quote
Hire Huber to coach special teams as an assistant and future Simmons replacement, if he's interested. The dude would be like "Mr. Cincinnati" for all-things special teams and football.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We have a new franchise punter!

His first NFL game:

3 punts, 50 yard average, but more importantly, a 44,7 yard net.  With that wind knocking Evan Almighty's kickoffs down, that is nothing short of impressive.

Here were the punts:

Punt 1:  53 yard punt to 5 yard line, followed by 3 and out.

Punt 2:  57 yard punt to 9 yard line, followed by 3 and out, and then Bengals TD

Punt 3:  40 yard punt from his own endzone (into the wind with enough hang time to have zero return).  

Nice job, Drue.  

Classy touch:  Kevin Huber went and got the ball from his first NFL punt.  Well done, Kevin.

If Chrisman can maintain 50.0 YPP, that would put him 4th in the league.
Ryan Stonehouse, who is TEN's punter and 2022 UDFA from Colorado St, is leading the league at 53.0 YPP.

Goes to show you don't have to spend a high draft pick on a P to get a good one.

Happy that Chrisman is finally getting opportunity, but unfortunate it didn't happen until halfway through the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Don't remember who it was, but someone said it best last week..... "Just look at the flowers Kevin"
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't remember who it was, but someone said it best last week..... "Just look at the flowers Kevin"

OMG, I laughed too hard at this... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He's got a decent sized leg, but I don't think he has the greatest touch that you see in franchise punters like Johnny Hekker. I think his two inside the 10 were more due to errors of judgement on the returner's part than precise placement of the punter. Had the returned not fielded either, they may have bounced into the end zone.

However, I think the punter job should remain a competition in 2023. Just between Crisman and maybe a 7th round pick/priority UDFA, rather than Huber.

On a grass field and a cold day those kicks had an excellent chance of dying inside the five.     

We'll see if he gets better?  He did excellent.  He only had two opportunities to put it inside the 20 and he nailed them both.  You're only speculating that it might have gone differently.

Huber had just nine punts inside the 20 for the entire season and Chrisman nails two in his first game.  Huber was near the bottom of the league in both average and net and Chrisman starts out near the top.  We'll see where he goes from here but there's nothing on Sunday that needs qualifying.  It was a great start.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:19 PM)Roland Wrote: On a grass field and a cold day those kicks had an excellent chance of dying inside the five.     

We'll see if he gets better?  He did excellent.  He only had two opportunities to put it inside the 20 and he nailed them both.  You're only speculating that it might have gone differently.

Huber had just nine punts inside the 20 for the entire season and Chrisman nails two in his first game.  Huber was near the bottom of the league in both average and net and Chrisman starts out near the top.  We'll see where he goes from here but there's nothing on Sunday that needs qualifying.  It was a great start.

Yea, he was fine. I'm just saying let's not crown him the franchise punter after 3 punts, two of which were arguably badly placed punts and 1 that was fairly short (granted it was out of his own end zone).
Reply/Quote
Off to a good start. Just what we needed.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: The announcers seemed to imply a safety if the returner didn't get out of the end zone, but wouldn't it really have been a touchback and ball out to the 20? The receiver never got possession, if I recall, until he was in the end zone. My  understanding is that if the returner doesn't have possession and it bounces into the end zone that it comes out to the 20. My thought at the time was that the returner made a mistake bringing it out. (Almost as bad as the KC kick returner that "saved" the kickoff from going out of bounds at the 5.)

If that's how the rule worked, punt returners would begin intentionally careening balls off their knees and ankles in an attempt to make them bounce into the end zone to get ~10 to 15 free yards on the touchback.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of the way things work, I had to laugh at Taylor's attempt at a fair catch after the ball bounced. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: The announcers seemed to imply a safety if the returner didn't get out of the end zone, but wouldn't it really have been a touchback and ball out to the 20? The receiver never got possession, if I recall, until he was in the end zone. My  understanding is that if the returner doesn't have possession and it bounces into the end zone that it comes out to the 20. My thought at the time was that the returner made a mistake bringing it out. (Almost as bad as the KC kick returner that "saved" the kickoff from going out of bounds at the 5.)

A muff counts as a fumble on punts (hence why there's always a mad dash after a punt to recover the ball) and blocked kicks that pass the LOS (hence why Miami recovered it in the Leon Lett fumble. That play has come up 3 times in the last week lol).

Would've 100% been a safety.

I was thinking this morning; if Chrisman punts like this forever, we have our punter for the next 10+ years: you could see on TV that his hangtime was superb.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote