Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drugs That Keep You Calm?
We had a meeting with two of the ladies that run the program that I present through sometimes an I got so angry that I was typing so fast that I was out of control and couldn't even type because I was going so fast.

It also happens sometimes when I'm playing live poker and I'll hit such a big hand that, when I'm trying to stay calm and make a big bet, my hands will shake and it's an easy tell that I have a big hand, so I'll get no calls.

It also happens sometimes when I get in an argument with other people.

My question is if there are any legal drugs that I can get prescribed to keep me calm?

I know that some drugs are normally illegal that are legal for things like that and only legal for circumstances like the ones I need them for.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Reply/Quote
You lost me at legal
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Ask a doctor.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 04:56 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Ask a doctor.

[Image: jenn-jenn-robbins.gif]

or

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe ask your doctor if Thorazine is right for you.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 04:56 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: [Image: jenn-jenn-robbins.gif]

or

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hilarious

You'd be surprised how many drugs that are illegal on the streets treat anxiety, depression, and whatever else, so I figured that drugs that can calm me down, and are legal when prescribed by a doctor, would be available somewhere!
(03-23-2023, 05:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe ask your doctor if Thorazine is right for you.

Don't really have a steady doctor anymore besides my doctor for if I get sick with a common illness or anything.

My rehab doctor died years ago at a young age (young as in 50s or 60s?) and he's actually the one that told me that weed could have benefits for traumatic brain injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe ask your doctor if Thorazine is right for you.

you've watched one too many medical drug commercials on tv
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hilarious

You'd be surprised how many drugs that are illegal on the streets treat anxiety, depression, and whatever else, so I figured that drugs that can calm me down, and are legal when prescribed by a doctor, would be available somewhere!

Don't really have a steady doctor anymore besides my doctor for if I get sick with a common illness or anything.

My rehab doctor died years ago at a young age (young as in 50s or 60s?) and he's actually the one that told me that weed could have benefits for traumatic brain injuries.

Drugs are no joke. I'll repeat myself but ask a doctor. He'll tell you quickly and advise on the amount to take. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 07:16 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Drugs are no joke. I'll repeat myself but ask a doctor. He'll tell you quickly and advise on the amount to take. 

I know. I'd have to make sure I don't get on one that would possibly cause an addiction.

I have a doctor cousin that I can ask.
Reply/Quote
There are several options. Like some have already advised talk with your doctor or a psychiatrist to discuss your options.

Behavior modification therapy doesn't involve medication, but teaches techniques to cope with anxiety. That would be one of my first recommendations.

Propranolol is usually used for high blood pressure, but can be used for anxiety like stage fright situations.  Musician might take it before a performance.  An executive might take it before an important presentation.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine which can be used for anxiety, but makes most people drowsy.

SSRIs such as Prozac or Celexa can be used for anxiety, but you need to take them daily and it may take up to 6 weeks to reach their peak effect.  There are many SSRIs some are better at anxiety than depression, some are vice versa, some are more likely to cause certain side effects than others.  You may need to try more than one to find the one best for you, just like people and their high blood pressure medication.

Benzodiazepines: Ativan, Valium, Xanax, etc. Some people take them situationally as needed.  Some people take them daily.  If you take them daily you will become physically dependent upon them and must be weaned off to discontinue them or you will go through withdrawal. That is not the some as addiction.  Addiction is misuse of a medication for other than therapeutic effect.  With that said, these can be addictive and are often misused and one of the most common classes of medications sought by drug seekers. I try to avoid prescribing these if possible.

Medical marijuana.  Unless the laws in KY have changed, not an option for you. I've seen veterans with legal prescription for medical marijuana to treat anxiety or PTSD because they didn't like benzodiazepines. They couldn't get the prescription filled in KY. They couldn't fill it legally out of state and cross state lines into KY because that was illegal.  Personally, I would probably rather smoke medical marijuana for PTSD than take Xanax.

I take Wellbutrin everyday.  I don't really notice feeling different while taking it, but my family notices a difference. So I take it more for their benefit than mine. (That's a joke. Kinda.) Because if I'm treating them better because I'm less dickish it improves our relationships which is to my benefit.  But I do tell patients I take it for my family's benefit because then they are more accepting of considering taking medications for their mental health because some people are resistant to the idea. They may be afraid of what others will think. Or they think it is a sign of weakness. Or they are worried about job implications.  Or side effects.  Etc. Etc.

I also take clonazepam as needed when anxiety gets really bad. It is a benzodiazepine. I don't like taking them, either. I have the same 30 tablet bottle from August. But, sometimes they are necessary.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/generalized-anxiety-disorder-in-adults-management
Reply/Quote
I've been having stress, anxiety and restless sleep for over a year. My hands would shake from it. Been taking a supplement Ashwagandha for a month now and it's helped tremendously just taking it 3 times a week. Google the benefits if the link below doesn't work. Got it on Amazon. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ashwagandha+benefits&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS894US894&oq=&aqs=chrome.1.35i39i362l5j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l2.780291j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:59 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There are several options. Like some have already advised talk with your doctor or a psychiatrist to discuss your options.

Behavior modification therapy doesn't involve medication, but teaches techniques to cope with anxiety. That would be one of my first recommendations.

Propranolol is usually used for high blood pressure, but can be used for anxiety like stage fright situations.  Musician might take it before a performance.  An executive might take it before an important presentation.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine which can be used for anxiety, but makes most people drowsy.

SSRIs such as Prozac or Celexa can be used for anxiety, but you need to take them daily and it may take up to 6 weeks to reach their peak effect.  There are many SSRIs some are better at anxiety than depression, some are vice versa, some are more likely to cause certain side effects than others.  You may need to try more than one to find the one best for you, just like people and their high blood pressure medication.

Benzodiazepines: Ativan, Valium, Xanax, etc. Some people take them situationally as needed.  Some people take them daily.  If you take them daily you will become physically dependent upon them and must be weaned off to discontinue them or you will go through withdrawal. That is not the some as addiction.  Addiction is misuse of a medication for other than therapeutic effect.  With that said, these can be addictive and are often misused and one of the most common classes of medications sought by drug seekers. I try to avoid prescribing these if possible.

Medical marijuana.  Unless the laws in KY have changed, not an option for you. I've seen veterans with legal prescription for medical marijuana to treat anxiety or PTSD because they didn't like benzodiazepines. They couldn't get the prescription filled in KY. They couldn't fill it legally out of state and cross state lines into KY because that was illegal.  Personally, I would probably rather smoke medical marijuana for PTSD than take Xanax.

I take Wellbutrin everyday.  I don't really notice feeling different while taking it, but my family notices a difference. So I take it more for their benefit than mine. (That's a joke. Kinda.) Because if I'm treating them better because I'm less dickish it improves our relationships which is to my benefit.  But I do tell patients I take it for my family's benefit because then they are more accepting of considering taking medications for their mental health because some people are resistant to the idea. They may be afraid of what others will think. Or they think it is a sign of weakness. Or they are worried about job implications.  Or side effects.  Etc. Etc.

I also take clonazepam as needed when anxiety gets really bad. It is a benzodiazepine. I don't like taking them, either. I have the same 30 tablet bottle from August. But, sometimes they are necessary.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/generalized-anxiety-disorder-in-adults-management
I'll look into techniques to cope with it but I don't think I'd be able to stop myself when I get started to stop and go through the motions to decrease it.

The one that makes you drowsy is a no-go because of how much of a problem fatigue is with me (very common among brain injuries).

I may try Wellbutrin. Are there any major side effects? That sounds like it could help keep me at a calm level.

I'll talk to doctors to find out what's best. 

THANKS!

(And yeah, I vape weed and it's the only time I think clearly. I haven't much since Covid because I haven't had much of a reason to think clearly. Stupid that it's illegal in Kentucky still.)
(03-24-2023, 07:17 AM)need2mellowout Wrote: I've been having  stress, anxiety and restless sleep for over a year.  My hands would shake from it.  Been taking a supplement Ashwagandha for a month now and it's helped tremendously just taking it 3 times a week. Google the benefits if the link below doesn't work.  Got it on Amazon.  Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ashwagandha+benefits&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS894US894&oq=&aqs=chrome.1.35i39i362l5j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l2.780291j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'll check it out but I don't really have any of those symptoms.
Reply/Quote
Fellatio works for me
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fellatio works for me

Might be inappropriate in a business meeting Hmm

Jerry

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Just tell em you went to Flanders Field.. and you're a WWI history buff..and your mom likes poppies.. My doctor just prescribed quinine.. Hopefully I won't get a case of malaria.. 
[Image: ffpoppy1-w.jpg]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Definitely don't take benzos. They are hard as hell to get off of.

I used to have severe anxiety and was prescribed them. It took a long time to wean myself off and the withdrawal symptoms were severe.

My advice would be to exercise and eat healthy. Maybe take up meditating. Exercise is the best way to calm the nerves though.
And avoid sugar.
Reply/Quote
I'm currently take Modanfinil. I supplement it with two pots of coffee, street level Adderall (which could be and likely is Fentanyl, idk and idgaf). I also like to stagger "enhanced" micro doses of LSD on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, just to let the serotonin levels get back to the baseline. By enhanced, I mean 3-4x the level of an actual street dose. I just call it a micro dose because it's kind of stigmatized to run around work telling people how much getting all blasted up on acid improves my productivity. One day I hope they can end this bigoted mindset.

After work I lift and run, so this calls for a custom pre-workout consisting of whatever Chad crap my local supplement shop is pushing that contains at minimum 500mg of caffeine. I avoid ephedrine. I find it useless when I'm already taking prescription meth with the Adderall. I simply crush up another dose and toss it into the pre. I used to hoover two bell-ringer rails of coke as part of this process, but the comedown is way too much of a distraction when I'm in the middle of trying to get a sick pump. It's a shame, cause that shit is from the Earth and it's what Mother Nature intended for us. Oh well.

When I get done with my run, the wife usually has my all-organic keto-friendly dinner prepared. I stick with spinach or kale along with a good New York strip, maybe bison if I can get it. I try to get in some turmeric for the inflammation. Inflammation will kill you, right? It's important for me to down at least 6 9.0ABV or above IPAS with this dinner. This is to re-hydrate and re-center. If I can't get that, I just get into the wife's Stoli and mix it into some green gatorade. Gets into the system quick that way. I'll do grass-fed chocolate milk in the cooler months to make a sort of White Russian.

Of course, this is when I hit up the benzos to get ready for sleep. I hate kolonopin. Let's just get that out of the way. There was an incident with the neighbor's labradoodle that went outside the friend zone a few years back that became a bit of a legal matter for me. Needless to say, I don't recall any of it. I only know it happened because of the security cameras and the police report. So, no kolonopin. I stick with good old Valium, no more than 6, no less than 3. At some point this puts me into "stasis". It sounds like a cool biohacking term, but Idk. I might just be black out wasted. It saves me money because I'm very rarely mentally present enough to actually make it to a bed. Sometimes I sleep next to the toilet in the bathroom. Keeps my spine nice and healthy.

It's very important to use the bathroom before this nighttime ritual. I can't tell you how many times I've evacuated my bowels while unconscious. The kids at my son's school call me Craptain Poopypants when I drop him off in the morning. I don't feel like they think I'm a cool dad anymore, but I gotta do me.

It's all about red-lining, then crashing hard. Ease into the red early, blast sometime before lunch, sustain, then fall out. Repeatedly. Keeps the mind and body limber. This is the way.

Don't smoke and avoid seed oil. Also, leave potatoes alone as Tom Brady says they are poison.

Please don't do any of this. I don't want to be held responsible. I am not a doctor.
Reply/Quote
Not sure of the legality for your case, but people on heroine always seem pretty laid back!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fellatio works for me

I'm assuming the recipient's response is usually something along the lines of "whatever you got to do to calm your nerves"?
Reply/Quote
So what you're really asking is there a legal way to use poker performance enhancing drugs?  Jfk is right and wrong.. Heroin can make you really laid back unless you run out after about 3 days in which case you'll likely be in acute withdrawal and jumping out of your skin hoping to score at any price including possibly robbing your parents for money.. The trick is to not run out of money and your known sources aren't sitting in the county lockup awaiting trial for distribution..  ThumbsUp
Oh yeah, you gotta learn the magic words used in those circles.. It used to be "boy" for heroin and "girl" for cocaine back when I was using, but that's been quite some time ago.. The kids today probably use other snappy coded terminology.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote