Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drury Traded to the Padres

Looks like another toolsy teenager prospect.

Quote:Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Arm: 50 | Run: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Ranked as the No. 19 prospect in the 2020-21 international class, Acosta signed with the Padres for $1.8 million on Jan. 15, 2021. The early returns have been promising as the Dominican Republic native flashes five-tool potential and hit .285/.431/.484 over 56 games in his Dominican Summer League debut.

A switch-hitter, Acosta boasts an impressive set of tools. The teenager has quick hands and is an aggressive hitter with a swing-first mentality. As a result of the aggression, he handles fastballs better than off-speed pitches, though that’s not all that uncommon in young hitters. He doesn’t hit for a ton of power yet, but still has time to grow into his 5-foot-11, 170-pound frame and the Padres feel he’ll tack on a bit more power as he develops.

A projectable athlete, Acosta has the athleticism to stick at short, but could also wind up at second base. Above-average speed, which helped him steal 26 bases in 56 games last season, gives Acosta the range to make all the necessary plays up the middle, though the accuracy on his throws isn’t always consistent. He does, however, have plenty of arm strength and could develop into a middle of the diamond star if everything goes well.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/reds/victor-acosta-694193
Reply/Quote
I realize he’s the #6 prospect in their system but how many shortstops do we need?

I also realize not all these guys will pan out. Some will switch positions and some may be dealt down the line for other pieces to the puzzle but dayum.

I thought they’d be targeting more pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 07:01 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I realize he’s the #6 prospect in their system but how many shortstops do we need?

I also realize not all these guys will pan out.  Some will switch positions and some may be dealt down the line for other pieces to the puzzle but dayum.

I'm right there with you. They've got like 5 or 6 good SS prospects now. They trying to corner the market ?

And I realize like you say it's early in their careers and they're not locked in to just one position, at this point.

Still I'm glad they got a top level prospect for him.
Reply/Quote
Alrighty, let's see how the squad does in 2025, maybe 2026?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 07:01 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I realize he’s the #6 prospect in their system but how many shortstops do we need?

I also realize not all these guys will pan out.  Some will switch positions and some may be dealt down the line for other pieces to the puzzle but dayum.

Well, my only source is Barry Larkin but young arms aren't what they need. There's lots of guys with live arms on the way up, they're just not ready yet . . . at least that's what Larkin says. I'm just taking his word for it.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Drury with a 1st inning grand slam in his first game in San Diego.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote