Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin
Seems to me that they just don't come much better than Duke Tobin.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Q--A-With-Duke-Tobin/3369eefc-a0fc-4f82-8acb-28d034a61d33
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 03:20 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Seems to me that they just don't come much better than Duke Tobin.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Q--A-With-Duke-Tobin/3369eefc-a0fc-4f82-8acb-28d034a61d33

his time in the booth during preseason games is amazing I think...     you actually get answers.
Reply/Quote
Much respect for Tobin. He really seems to know his craft, and would appear to be a great fit for the organization. I'll admit that I've never really listened to him speak, or read much of what he has said. I must say that he can certainly get his point across without having to be bluntly direct.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 03:20 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Seems to me that they just don't come much better than Duke Tobin.

Vital piece of the organization.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Much respect and appreciation for Tobin from me as well.  If you had to list the names of people who've been instrumental in revitalizing the franchise, it'd be hard to find a better candidate to put at the top besides Tobin.  It's especially refreshing that he hasn't been poached by a larger market team and that he chooses to stay put.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes some folks get all ancy about Brown's sense of loyalty, but it has it's upsides.. Tobin is just one example of it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Loved hearing this:

Quote:From our standpoint in personnel, the roster is never set. We’re always open to improvements if we can find them. Who knows what will happen, but it’s a pretty quiet time around the Bengals facility right now.

I've moved on from the old days of Mike Brown's mindset of "just good enough," but it's encouraging to hear that we're constantly trying to improve,

I like his comments on LaFell's size and makes me think that he could be a good red zone target.

Didn't call it a make-or-break year for Hunt but actually did in an encouraging way.

I didn't like how he didn't mention Cody Core when discussing the receivers because he's a guy that I thought could be a sleeper and have some big plays.

Overall, I like it ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
His article is a breath of fresh air. Not typical gibberish.
Reply/Quote
I wish Mike Brown would get off his cheap ass and hire a GM. Ninja

I guess we just have to stick with the best Director of Player Personnel in football.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 01:45 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I wish Mike Brown would get off his cheap ass and hire a GM. Ninja

I guess we just have to stick with the best Director of Player Personnel in football.

Meh.

Maybe it would help things run more smoothly and be more organized, but the organization is run pretty well and has been commended by different sources.

Now, if you'd like to you wish he'd get off his cheap ass and build a practice facility, more training and medical people, etc., then that's something I can get passionate about  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 02:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Meh.

Maybe it would help things run more smoothly and be more organized, but the organization is run pretty well and has been commended by different sources.

Now, if you'd like to you wish he'd get off his cheap ass and build a practice facility, more training and medical people, etc., then that's something I can get passionate about  ThumbsUp

Yeah, has the guy ever explained why they won't build the team an indoor facility?
Seems like this team is a perfect team to have one.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 10:09 PM)Harmening Wrote: Yeah, has the guy ever explained why they won't build the team an indoor facility?
Seems like this team is a perfect team to have one.

His explanation used to be because he felt like the team should practice out in the conditions that they play in, which may have been true, but I think it was mainly just because he's a tight ass.

Now, they use UC's, so his excuse is that they have what they need, while still lacking an adequate weight room, medical treatment facility, etc.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 10:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His explanation used to be because he felt like the team should practice out in the conditions that they play in, which may have been true, but I think it was mainly just because he's a tight ass.

Now, they use UC's, so his excuse is that they have what they need, while still lacking an adequate weight room, medical treatment facility, etc.

That still screams "tight ass" to me…
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 11:34 PM)Harmening Wrote: That still screams "tight ass" to me…

Yep, and he's been that way all these years.

Like when that one free-agent defensive lineman was coming here to visit to likely sign, and Mike bought him a ticket in coach, which he didn't have any leg room, so he got off the plane and didn't even come here.

Someone just needs to teach him that spending money, and not in a half-ass way, earns a lot more money.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 02:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Meh.

Director of Player Personnel is essentially the same thing as GM.

Same job different title.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2016, 11:54 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Director of Player Personnel is essentially the same thing as GM.

I still think we should have created GM position & put Marvin there and elevated Zimmer to head coach. Duke could still be the Director of Player Personnel. It would have been a win-win-win. Letting Zimmer go was a big mistake. Now I know Marvin has a love-hate relationship with the fan base. Some fans love him and some think its time to move in a new direction. I,personally, cant stand his gibberish during news conferences/interviews but I appreciate what he has helped to build coming off a decade like the 90's. I also appreciate what Duke has done helping to build a roster like the one we have. Love his answer to the question about not wanting to leave Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin for President!

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2016, 11:54 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Director of Player Personnel is essentially the same thing as GM.

I doubt it comes with nearly the same salary though, and definitely does not have the same prestige within the league.  I have been saying for the last couple years that Tobin deserves the title, pay, and recognition of being General Manager.
Reply/Quote
Admire his loyalty greatly.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2016, 09:58 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I doubt it comes with nearly the same salary though, and definitely does not have the same prestige within the league.  I have been saying for the last couple years that Tobin deserves the title, pay, and recognition of being General Manager.

I doubt that he has all the same freedoms as a GM, either.

Mike is getting up there in age, so I bet Duke has a lot of freedoms and power, but not nearly the same as a typical GM.

Plus, GM's do more than just work on the roster.
Reply/Quote