Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duke Tobin
(04-30-2020, 09:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with this, but once the ship was sinking, I think they just put some stuff on tape, and evaluated the roster against the schemes they want ran. I mean, you don't start Ryan Finley if that's not the case.

Yep, I don't think they went into the season planning on tanking. But it fairly quickly devolved into that. The fact that some people want to deny or tap dance around is that ZT inherited a bad team. We won 19 games in three seasons and that's with the luxury of playing a Cleveland team that won like 5 games in 3 seasons or whatever ?

I'm anxious to see what ZT and co. can do moving forward.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I don't think they went into the season planning on tanking. But it fairly quickly devolved into that. The fact that some people want to deny or tap dance around is that ZT inherited a bad team. We won 19 games in three seasons and that's with the luxury of playing a Cleveland team that won like 5 games in 3 seasons or whatever ?

I'm anxious to see what ZT and co. can do moving forward.

Yes sir....sink or swim time baby!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Is it too early to contemplate what they will do with the money saved from Andy's salary? Is it already spent?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it too early to contemplate what they will do with the money saved from Andy's salary? Is it already spent?

What Jason Peters realistically be looking for?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it too early to contemplate what they will do with the money saved from Andy's salary?  Is it already spent?

I think it adds a good pad to their wallet. Now after they sign their draft picks, they can still get players that have been cut. Or maybe talk to Nixon's agent?
Reply/Quote
Didn't read the whole thread, but we may want to wait to see how these players drafted do.

We've gotten good draft grades for some of the drafts we now know we missed on so let's just wait and see.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What Jason Peters realistically be looking for?

Retirement.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it too early to contemplate what they will do with the money saved from Andy's salary?  Is it already spent?

I'd say some of it is spoken for. But it probably gives them a little wiggle room to pick up another free agent or camp cut. Resign Mixon ?
Reply/Quote

If Mixon is not asking for top 5 RB money I hope they use it to extend him.  But we probably won't see that until right before training camp.  That seems to be when the Bengals work out any contract extensions.

Even if Mixon thinks he can get top 5 money in free agency next year he would be crazy to pass up a 4 yr $30 million extension with $10 million guaranteed and play this year for only $1.2 million.  He knows about injuries.  Last year was the first time he had made it through a full 16 game schedule.

There are not many quality free agents left.  There will be some guys released, but I don't see them being big money either.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Retirement.

Didn’t you learn anything from the Whit situation? Peters graded out at 82.4 last season. He’d instantly be our best Olineman. I think it’d be worth risking that his play doesn’t completely fall off this year. Especially with the uncertainty surrounding Jonah. What if Jonah sucks? What if he gets hurt again? Signing Peters to a reasonable (that’s why I asked) 1-2 year deal makes sense to me.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 01:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Didn’t you learn anything from the Whit situation? Peters graded out at 82.4 last season. He’d instantly be our best Olineman. I think it’d be worth risking that his play doesn’t completely fall off this year. Especially with the uncertainty surrounding Jonah. What if Jonah sucks? What if he gets hurt again? Signing Peters to a reasonable (that’s why I asked) 1-2 year deal makes sense to me.

Very valid point. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 07:17 PM)J24 Wrote: I would actually say Duke has always been good at Drafting.
2016- Jackson, Boyd,
2017- Mixon,  Lawson
2018- Bates, Hubbard
Those are six Pro bowl Caliber players right there all on our roster now. The problem he has had is with free agency but he was pretty active this off-season.  While I think his signings other than Reader were just Ok and I still would have liked them to sign an OT. It was nice to see this team be aggressive.

Yes! Great point. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 01:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Didn’t you learn anything from the Whit situation? 

Didn't you learn anything from the Tom Brady situation?  You can always get a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round.

(04-30-2020, 01:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  Peters graded out at 82.4 last season. He’d instantly be our best Olineman.

According to PFF he would be the best OT on 27 of the 32 NFL teams.  Yet he does not have a job.  What does that tell you about how the professionals look at PFF grades?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Didn't you learn anything from the Tom Brady situation?  You can always get a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round.

According to PFF he would be the best OT on 27 of the 32 NFL teams.  Yet he does not have a job.  What does that tell you about how the professionals look at PFF grades?

He’ll probably have a job by the time the season starts though. I think some OT needy teams were waiting to see what happened with Trent Williams.

And even if you don’t agree with PFF’s ratings you have to admit Peters would be one of our better players on the OL if we signed him. What’s the risk on a short 1-2 year deal?

Reply/Quote