Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin Post Draft Recap (Must Watch)
https://twitter.com/bengaljims_BTR/status/1520915512842080256?cxt=HHwWgMCqxbmmsJsqAAAA

Duke comes on at 8:30 mark.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Cliff notes?
Reply/Quote
Finally watched this. Excellent post draft interview with Tobin.

Spoke a bit about the draft process:
Moving up: Paraphrase "If your guy is there and you think he won't make it to you, then you go up and get him and you do it aggressively."
Preparation: Paraphrase "All the work was done days before the draft. Then we just let the draft come to us." I'm paraphrasing badly here. Talked about their board (no specifics), updating it and picking who is there. Was very pleased with Dax Hill as they figured he would be gone. They had him as a top 15 talent.

First two picks were about versatility and speed.
Third pick was about adding inside pass rush and versatility.
4th pick was about adding mean grinder and again versatility having played 4 spots on the OLine. Said he will be given his opportunity at guard.
Spoke some about the other picks but I forget the details.

As we expected versatility, speed and depth were the themes.

Very professional too. Duke mentioned that it is Bengals policy not to speak of UDFA's until they've had their physicals and signed their contracts. A couple of times the interviewer touched on UDFA's and Duke just sat there and said nothing. Silence. It was purposely awkward by Duke with the interviewer trying to move on with humor.

I haven't seen a recent interview with Duke, but I was really impressed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 01:35 PM)Stewy Wrote: Finally watched this.  Excellent post draft interview with Tobin.

Moving up:  Paraphrase "If your guy is there and you think he won't make it to you, then you go up and get him and you do it aggressively."
Preparation:  Paraphrase "All the work was done days before the draft.  Then we just let the draft come to us."  I'm paraphrasing badly here.  Talked about their board (no specifics), updating it and picking who is there.  Was very pleased with Dax Hill as they figured he would be gone.  They had him as a top 15 talent.

4th pick was about adding mean grinder and again versatility having played 4 spots on the OLine.  Said he will be given his opportunity at guard.

Very professional too.  Duke mentioned that it is Bengals policy not to speak of UDFA's until they've had their physicals and signed their contracts.  A couple of times the interviewer touched on UDFA's and Duke just sat there and said nothing.  Silence.  It was purposely awkward by Duke with the interviewer trying to move on with humor.

i always enjoy when he comes on during the preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 01:35 PM)Stewy Wrote: Finally watched this.  Excellent post draft interview with Tobin.

Moving up:  Paraphrase "If your guy is there and you think he won't make it to you, then you go up and get him and you do it aggressively."
Preparation:  Paraphrase "All the work was done days before the draft.  Then we just let the draft come to us."  I'm paraphrasing badly here.  Talked about their board (no specifics), updating it and picking who is there.  Was very pleased with Dax Hill as they figured he would be gone.  They had him as a top 15 talent.

4th pick was about adding mean grinder and again versatility having played 4 spots on the OLine.  Said he will be given his opportunity at guard.

Very professional too.  Duke mentioned that it is Bengals policy not to speak of UDFA's until they've had their physicals and signed their contracts.  A couple of times the interviewer touched on UDFA's and Duke just sat there and said nothing.  Silence.  It was purposely awkward by Duke with the interviewer trying to move on with humor.

Thanks Stewy as I don't have the time to watch the video right now. Even though this Draft didn't seem near as flashy as
ours the last couple of years it was just what this team needed after what we did in FA in fortifying the OL. Dax, CTB and 
Volson are who I am particularly excited to watch. We will see with Carter, if he can make the switch to 3-tech well going 
from college to the NFL. Maybe my biggest question of the Draft, who knows, could be better than Winfrey for all I know.

Winfrey was a bad run stopper, maybe that is what gave Zachary Carter the edge.

Tycen Anderson has crazy upside with his size, speed and overall athleticism. I know a lot of guys on here were wanting 
Woolen but this guy might end up being better and we got him in the 5th round. Gunter has great size and athleticism, if
he can gain strength in the weight room big time he could be a steal.

Volson though, as of right now I think could surprise the most people with his rookie play and his versatility/physicality.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Stewy as I don't have the time to watch the video right now. Even though this Draft didn't seem near as flashy as
ours the last couple of years it was just what this team needed after what we did in FA in fortifying the OL. Dax, CTB and 
Volson are who I am particularly excited to watch. We will see with Carter, if he can make the switch to 3-tech well going 
from college to the NFL. Maybe my biggest question of the Draft, who knows, could be better than Winfrey for all I know.

Tycen Anderson has crazy upside with his size, speed and overall athleticism. I know a lot of guys on here were wanting 
Woolen but this guy might end up being better and we got him in the 5th round. Gunter has great size and athleticism, if

Volson though, as of right now I think could surprise the most people with his rookie play and his versatility/physicality.
Interesting tidbit of info about Tycen Anderson.

The Cincinnati Bengals pick Toledo CB Tycen Anderson at No. 166 overall. 233 yards allowed (lowest among MAC CBs with a minimum 200 coverage snaps) Rock On

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1520480446106243072
Reply/Quote
Good stuff Weezy thanks for posting.

Duke was saying he hates giving up draft picks. So they must have really wanted those guys. Let's hope they were right.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Stewy as I don't have the time to watch the video right now. Even though this Draft didn't seem near as flashy as

Winfrey it leaked out was late to practices and meetings at OU. It’s why he tumbled. But Carter’s 17 sacks in the SEC probably helped him. Tycen is indeed fast and strong for a safety but he’s a terror on all special teams. At worst he plays KO team and both return teams immediately. Volson is just versatile and mean.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing Weezy

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Thanks for allowing us lazy fans to "cheat off of your paper".  Personally, I didn't feel the need to spend the time watching, but your synopsis confirms what I was already thinking.  I feel that given their draft slot, the Bengals draft team killed it this year.  Moving up and giving up picks in the process was definitely uncharacteristic for them, but I certainly applaud them for taking the dive to quality over quantity approach this year.

After letting the draft digest for a week, I firmly feel like 5 of the 6 will see significant action this year.  I kind of feel like Gunter was drafted specifically to put the heat on Khalid Kareem to either get it together or be cut.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 06:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Duke was saying he hates giving up draft picks. So they must have really wanted those guys. Let's hope they were right.

That thing about trading up is that it signifies that you were extra excited about a certain player.  And if he is a bust it makes the pick look even worse.

Remember when we traded up to take Bodine?  Not saying our current picks will be busts because Bodine was.  But it always made the pick worse for me because we used extra draft capital to make it.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for allowing us lazy fans to "cheat off of your paper".  Personally, I didn't feel the need to spend the time watching, but your synopsis confirms what I was already thinking.  

Still worth watching.  Duke is happy, relaxed, confident, dynamic and approachable.  It's about as open and honest as I've ever seen a GM being.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 05:52 PM)pulses Wrote: Interesting tidbit of info about Tycen Anderson.

The Cincinnati Bengals pick Toledo CB Tycen Anderson at No. 166 overall. 233 yards allowed (lowest among MAC CBs with a minimum 200 coverage snaps) Rock On

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1520480446106243072

Nice just seen this in the Tycen Anderson thread. Could be a great pick the more I learn about him.

(05-06-2022, 06:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good stuff Weezy thanks for posting.

Duke was saying he hates giving up draft picks. So they must have really wanted those guys. Let's hope they were right.

Yeah, they got their guys in CTB and Tycen Anderson. Not often they trade up like that and I trust these coaches now 
more than the coaches we had in the past when this was done and we traded up for busts. CTB is about as sure of a 
pick in the 2nd round as you can get at Corner and is a great investment in the future.

I didn't think he would last until 63 and the coaches and FO must of felt the same.

(05-06-2022, 06:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Winfrey it leaked out was late to practices and meetings at OU. It’s why he tumbled. But Carter’s 17 sacks in the SEC probably helped him. Tycen is indeed fast and strong for a safety but he’s a terror on all special teams. At worst he plays KO team and both return teams immediately. Volson is just versatile and mean.

Ah, that explains a lot. Didn't know that about Winfrey and Carter playing in the SEC on the edge and getting that many sacks 
and pressures with his body type says a lot about his hands. Could indeed transfer well to a 3-tech DT, sure hope so. I think the
only hole on this roster was losing Ogunjobi to injury.

(05-06-2022, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for allowing us lazy fans to "cheat off of your paper".  Personally, I didn't feel the need to spend the time watching, but your synopsis confirms what I was already thinking.  I feel that given their draft slot, the Bengals draft team killed it this year.  Moving up and giving up picks in the process was definitely uncharacteristic for them, but I certainly applaud them for taking the dive to quality over quantity approach this year.

After letting the draft digest for a week, I firmly feel like 5 of the 6 will see significant action this year.  I kind of feel like Gunter was drafted specifically to put the heat on Khalid Kareem to either get it together or be cut.

I like to cheat sometimes, saves time so I can get some work done lol

Feel the exact same Sunset. Look out Kareem if Gunter gains some strength. He has everything else, is a better natural pass 
rusher than Kareem. Kareem is a good run stopper though and that is where Gunter needs to get to work. Gunter needs to 
watch a lot of Hubbard as he is the best in the league at stopping the run as an Edge.

(05-07-2022, 12:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: Still worth watching.  Duke is happy, relaxed, confident, dynamic and approachable.  It's about as open and honest as I've ever seen a GM being.

Okay, I will watch it in a little bit. Thanks again Stewy. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 12:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: Still worth watching.  Duke is happy, relaxed, confident, dynamic and approachable.  It's about as open and honest as I've ever seen a GM being.

I dunno Stewy, his old man was pretty open and honest about Mel Kiper  Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Stewy as I don't have the time to watch the video right now. Even though this Draft didn't seem near as flashy as

The word or rumor on Winfrey and this is just hearsay is that he's not mature and he's not consistent.  There were several of us squirming when the Bengals passed but do some digging. You'll see why he was there.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote