Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin Press Conference
(03-08-2021, 03:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well they have known how to say the right things for a while now

Ehh, not sure I have ever heard them say they are going to be aggressive in FA. Especially considering he said it but didn't add any sort of caveat like "Aggressive but smart" where it gave them the back door of "Spending big money wasn't smart but we aggressively got our guys in the 3rd wave".
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL Ain't that the truth. Every year we have fans screaming "NEVER AGAIN!" Then, just before the season screaming, "WHO DEY!" Just because the FO comes up with more bullshit to spew to lure us zombies back to the franchise, only to let us down again and repeat that viscous cycle. 

well its easy cause we want to believe....  
Reply/Quote
My interpretation of what he said is that a lot of our FA focus will be on released vets, "because we have cap space and they don't." Luckily, there are quite a few serviceable vets being cut this spring.
Reply/Quote
Encouraging but non-committal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
“Trust the Process.”

Signed,

The 76ers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL Ain't that the truth. Every year we have fans screaming "NEVER AGAIN!" Then, just before the season screaming, "WHO DEY!" Just because the FO comes up with more bullshit to spew to lure us zombies back to the franchise, only to let us down again and repeat that viscous cycle. 

True lol

But at least last year they tried in FA on Defense. If they try this year to protect Burrow things could turn around.
Reply/Quote
Any news if we are tagging Lawson or WJ111, isn't the deadline tomorrow?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well its easy cause we want to believe....  

Yes we do. Every year we hope and believe this is the year we turn this thing around. When we don't, we try and finger point what the biggest problems are on why it didn't. 90% of the time we point to the FO. However, little ever changes there. So we just get excited about the players coming in, which is essentially new employees coming in to a badly managed company.

(03-08-2021, 05:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True lol

But at least last year they tried in FA on Defense. If they try this year to protect Burrow things could turn around.

This is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully they get more aggressive this year than they ever had. I would like to see a statement made from the FO that says they want to win this year. Not just a slogan on the wall, but the actual moves to prove it. Sign the players and get creative in the draft. Go for it this year. 

Now some would scoff that it doesn't matter who they bring in because the coaching is bad. While others would say (like myself) that the FO has been bad. IMO, if the FO gives them everything they need to win, then replacing a coaching staff shouldn't be that tough of a decision. 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Ehh, not sure I have ever heard them say they are going to be aggressive in FA. Especially considering he said it but didn't add any sort of caveat like "Aggressive but smart" where it gave them the back door of "Spending big money wasn't smart but we aggressively got our guys in the 3rd wave".

Fwiw, here is his quote regarding free agency that the Enquirer pulled from his press conference:

"We're going to see what comes our way. We want to attack our team needs through the draft, through free agency, through re-signing our own players, through development of young players that we have. We are certainly not going to sit on our hands,” Tobin said. “I know we will be prepared to jump in and see what we can get done. Hopefully we will be able to get the things done that we envision. Whether it happens or not we'll see.”

I haven't listened to it, so I'm not sure what else was said.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 07:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes we do. Every year we hope and believe this is the year we turn this thing around. When we don't, we try and finger point what the biggest problems are on why it didn't. 90% of the time we point to the FO. However, little ever changes there. So we just get excited about the players coming in, which is essentially new employees coming in to a badly managed company.

This is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully they get more aggressive this year than they ever had. I would like to see a statement made from the FO that says they want to win this year. Not just a slogan on the wall, but the actual moves to prove it. Sign the players and get creative in the draft. Go for it this year. 

Now some would scoff that it doesn't matter who they bring in because the coaching is bad. While others would say (like myself) that the FO has been bad. IMO, if the FO gives them everything they need to win, then replacing a coaching staff shouldn't be that tough of a decision. 

I just hope they don't do dumb shit like they did tagging AJ for that cash.

It's fine they are wanting to be active in Free Agency and re-sign good players.

It's the spending and inflated deals on mediocre-poor players that they need to stop doing.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:38 PM)shanebo Wrote: My interpretation of what he said is that a lot of our FA focus will be on released vets, "because we have cap space and they don't."  Luckily, there are quite a few serviceable vets being cut this spring.

If so, the comp picks for WJIII and/or Lawson would be in play. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 07:06 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Any news if we are tagging Lawson or WJ111, isn't the deadline tomorrow?

Technically tomorrow, but the league is possibly moving it because the cap hasn't been announced. Teams don't want to commit until they fully know the number.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
"We're gonna sign BJ Finney to a blockbuster 600 MILLION dollar a year contract!" He's cheap! 
Actually they are in a pretty good place with the cap space many teams simply do not have.. I suspect quite a few big names will be cut wanting new contracts with the teams with money to spend.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 02:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Technically tomorrow, but the league is possibly moving it because the cap hasn't been announced. Teams don't want to commit until they fully know the number.

Cheers, I hadn't heard anything over here and just read the deadline was today
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 07:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes we do. Every year we hope and believe this is the year we turn this thing around. When we don't, we try and finger point what the biggest problems are on why it didn't. 90% of the time we point to the FO. However, little ever changes there. So we just get excited about the players coming in, which is essentially new employees coming in to a badly managed company.

Well, yeah Harley. You know whats up Dog. We all want to see this, it is nice to hear it coming from Tobin.

I am not as down on him lately as I have been. Last Offseason and the Draft were well done IMO.

Injuries just really hurt us and we couldn't fix everything in one Offseason. 

Hopefully with one more it gets fixed and the coaching improves. If the coaching does not improve, we can move on and the 
next HC and coaches have a good team to work with.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:15 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Cheers, I hadn't heard anything over here and just read the deadline was today

Well the NFL didn't budge like I thought they would, I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 05:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True lol

only if our coaching staff up their game from checkers to chess.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 09:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: only if our coaching staff up their game from checkers to chess.

For sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 02:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Duke Tobin on Joe Burrow: 

"When I look at our team, I'm excited. I think we've got one of the premier, best young quarterbacks in the game, and we're going to do everything we can to build around him and give him the opportunity to really shine and show what he can do."

If they don't fix the OL with better players, then he's just talking out his arse.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 07:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, here is his quote regarding free agency that the Enquirer pulled from his press conference:

"We're going to see what comes our way. We want to attack our team needs through the draft, through free agency, through re-signing our own players, through development of young players that we have. We are certainly not going to sit on our hands,” Tobin said. “I know we will be prepared to jump in and see what we can get done. Hopefully we will be able to get the things done that we envision. Whether it happens or not we'll see.”

I haven't listened to it, so I'm not sure what else was said.

Attacking team needs by seeing what comes our way has gotta be the most passive form of attack I’ve ever heard of.
Reply/Quote