Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin dishes on trades made and missed in NFL draft
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/06/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-draft-trades-prospects-picks-moves-fifty-west-podcast-explainer-chiefs-bills/581400002/

Very interesting read getting insights from Duke. I think hearing that Jefferson was their third rated linebacker beyond Smith and Evans is really interesting to me. His comp has been Jordan Hicks for a while, and if we get Jordan Hicks play from him it's a steal.

This was something I was happy to hear as well...

On who he would characterize as the biggest steal in this draft for them:

"The guy we had the highest opinion on compared to where we took him since he’s the last pick, I’m going to say Auden Tate. Because he’s got the most chance to have the most differential.”

I actually think Tate could make this team and contribute this year. He had bad QB play at FSU this year but when you watch him in some of FSU's biggest games he came up big. I think people worry to much about the speed as he is a contested catch WR and speed isn't all that big a deal (think Kelvin Benjamin). He will use his big frame to block CB's out and his jumping ability to go up, he can make a killing as a slant/jump ball WR in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
We'll see.

Malik Jefferson was my choice in the third round as well (was very happy to get one pick correct haha), so I love his potential.

But to rate him over Vander Esch seems kind of silly.

I guess if you're looking at two players who project from a physical potential standpoint more than anything else, you can take a preference pick between the two, but why was the whole league so much higher on Vander Esch if that's the case?

Sometimes I think the Draft is all about "who's hot" rather than talent. And Vander Esch was just more hot than Jefferson leading up to the draft? *shrug*
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 08:59 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: We'll see.

Malik Jefferson was my choice in the third round as well (was very happy to get one pick correct haha), so I love his potential.

I guess if you're looking at two players who project from a physical potential standpoint more than anything else, you can take a preference pick between the two, but why was the whole league so much higher on Vander Esch if that's the case?

Sometimes I think the Draft is all about "who's hot" rather than talent. And Vander Esch was just more hot than Jefferson leading up to the draft? *shrug*

Vander Esch may have been off their board for medicals. Going into the draft there were rumors half the teams had him off the board due to a vertebrate issue.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 08:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/06/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-draft-trades-prospects-picks-moves-fifty-west-podcast-explainer-chiefs-bills/581400002/

Very interesting read getting insights from Duke. I think hearing that Jefferson was their third rated linebacker beyond Smith and Evans is really interesting to me. His comp has been Jordan Hicks for a while, and if we get Jordan Hicks play from him it's a steal.

This was something I was happy to hear as well...

On who he would characterize as the biggest steal in this draft for them:

"The guy we had the highest opinion on compared to where we took him since he’s the last pick, I’m going to say Auden Tate. Because he’s got the most chance to have the most differential.”

I actually think Tate could make this team and contribute this year. He had bad QB play at FSU this year but when you watch him in some of FSU's biggest games he came up big. I think people worry to much about the speed as he is a contested catch WR and speed isn't all that big a deal (think Kelvin Benjamin). He will use his big frame to block CB's out and his jumping ability to go up, he can make a killing as a slant/jump ball WR in the red zone.

Big time Jefferson fan, he has all the talent you want in a LB'er.

Perfect guy for Burfict to work with and get him thinking and react with instincts.

Big, athletic, hard hitting Linebacker who can do it all. Love Edmunds and Rashaan, but Malik is a talent too.

I think he will be a big upgrade at SAM for us.

Auden Tate has a natural ability to go up for balls, unlike Cody Core. He is definately in the mix right off the bat.

LVE doesn't tackle or engage as good as Jefferson.

I don't find it silly at all to have Malik rated above him.

LVE has great upside, Urlacher type but will take time, Malik is young and raw, will take time.

Pretty even in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
CBS rated Tate as a number one outside wide receiver Prospect
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 04:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: CBS rated Tate as a number one outside wide receiver Prospect

That site really fell apart this year, huh?
Reply/Quote
Tate could move Core and Erickson off the roster to the looking for work line
the Erickson experiment should be over with
he's provided zero returns for TDS.
Walton could take his place easily.
Core to me looks the part but I'm not sure he's got that drive to move up the depth chart
I hope Auden Tate can do enough to merit that last WR spot.
you can't have enough red zone threats
and as I look now.....Erickson and Core have zero red zone TDs.
Reply/Quote

Maybe he forgot about him or maybe they feared the rumored medical issues with VDE?  Who knows.  Even though every team says they "got the guy they really wanted, and a round later than projected", I still like to read the feedback.  

I am very happy with the draft, but as I eluded to on another thread, I wish they had made SD an offer for #17 and got Derwin James.  I think that guy is the next Ed Reed.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote