Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Duke would consider trading down...here is why:
To begin with the consideration of trading down absolutely has to do with who is on the board when the Bengals selection rolls around at #28. I think that most people are aware that teams consider groups of players for their selections and more times than not it is not a single player or two that they are targeting for a selection.

Also of importance obviously would be who the potential trade is with and how far it would drop them down in the draft. Is there a possibility that they could still get a player within their grouping of players for the 28th selection or does it drop them down to their next tier of prospects? What are they going to get in exchange for the trade and how will it position them later in the draft?

I have put together 5 different trade scenarios for teams that could be looking to move up in the draft to position themselves for a target they did not expect to fall or to better position themselves for their grouping of prospects. These 4 teams all have the draft capital that would meet what you could expect the Bengals to ask for in a trade. All trades were graded in value against the draft trade calculator:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=cin

I will be posting 5 replies that will detail each of the trade scenarios which were all done on the MockDraftDatabase Simulator. In each simulation I attempted to go BPA or BPA in a position that made sense for the franchise.
Reply/Quote
Kansas City:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 31 the Chiefs send to the Bengals:

31 = 600
95 = 120

Total = 720 or giving up a mid 4th round selection to move up.

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Houston:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 33 the Texans send to the Bengals:

33 = 580
104 = 86
161 = 25.8
Total = 691.8 or giving up a high 5th round selection to move up.

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Arizona:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 34 the Cardinals send to the Bengals:

34 = 560
96 = 116
180 = 17.8
Total = 693.8 or giving up a high 5th round selection to move up.

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Indy:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 35 the Colts send to the Bengals:

35 = 550
106 = 82
138 = 37
Total = 669 or giving up a mid 6th round selection to move up.

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Seattle:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 37 the Seahawks send to the Bengals:

37 = 530
83 = 175
Total = 705 or giving up a low 4th round selection to move up.

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 08:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: To begin with the consideration of trading down absolutely has to do with who is on the board when the Bengals selection rolls around at #28. I think that most people are aware that teams consider groups of players for their selections and more times than not it is not a single player or two that they are targeting for a selection.

Also of importance obviously would be who the potential trade is with and how far it would drop them down in the draft. Is there a possibility that they could still get a player within their grouping of players for the 28th selection or does it drop them down to their next tier of prospects? What are they going to get in exchange for the trade and how will it position them later in the draft?

I have put together 5 different trade scenarios for teams that could be looking to move up in the draft to position themselves for a target they did not expect to fall or to better position themselves for their grouping of prospects. These 4 teams all have the draft capital that would meet what you could expect the Bengals to ask for in a trade. All trades were graded in value against the draft trade calculator:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=cin

I will be posting 5 replies that will detail each of the trade scenarios which were all done on the MockDraftDatabase Simulator. In each simulation I attempted to go BPA or BPA in a position that made sense for the franchise.

I think we move up not down to #24.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 09:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think we move up not down to #24.

For?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 10:14 PM)Stewy Wrote: For?

Mayer,Kincaid, Robinson, Wright or Forbes.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 08:50 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Kansas City:

The 28th selection values at 660 points. To trade up from 31 the Chiefs send to the Bengals:

31 = 600
95 = 120

Total = 720 or giving up a mid 4th round selection to move up.

Extremely doubtful that KC and the Bengals would trade at all in the draft, much less in the 1st Rd.  Geez, we signed their best special team player just so he couldnt play for them.   

It is very doubtful any team wants to move up in this draft with only 20 or so players with consensus 1st Rd grades, unless a QB falls or someone really wants Hooker.

At least you get Washington at a better value slot than 1st Rd.
Tuli is a good pick.
Bergeron struggles with pass blocking, gave up 5 sacks as a SR, some are thinking he may be best at OG with his arms being shorter than Jonah Williams.
Spears has great hands, ran that 4.54 initially (did better on his pro day), definitely a potential weapon in the pass game.
Trice has good size, seen some project moving him back to Safety. 
Im good with Schoonmaker and Redmon.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 10:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mayer,Kincaid, Robinson, Wright or Forbes.

So you are projecting them to give up their 3rd round pick to move up 4 slots to get a player that they possibly could have stayed at 28 to select?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So you are projecting them to give up their 3rd round pick to move up 4 slots to get a player that they possibly could have stayed at 28 to select?

No I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved up involving Jonah Williams. It gives them more flexibility to get Mayer,Wright,Kincaid, or Robinson. Forbes will probably be there at 28.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 09:36 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved up involving Jonah Williams. It gives them more flexibility to get Mayer,Wright,Kincaid, or Robinson. Forbes will probably be there at 28.

Who would this move involve that would be interested in paying $12.6 million of a single season rent on an extremely average LT? I personally would not be very happy if they traded up to get Mayer. Actually, I would not be thrilled about him at 28 but that is just me.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 09:54 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Who would this move involve that would be interested in paying $12.6 million of a single season rent on an extremely average LT? I personally would not be very happy if they traded up to get Mayer. Actually, I would not be thrilled about him at 28 but that is just me.

Don’t worry who would take Jonah. We can pay a part of his salary this year if need be. Mayer can run block as well as any TE in the draft not named Washington. The Bengals like it that he’s the best combo of blocker and receiver in the draft. He is rated going at 24 by the top predictor. The Bengals have elite data like that. They have Irv Smith for this year and Sample for this year only. Mayer solidifies that position for years and eliminates the their nemesis of predictability of tipping their play by substitution. They want to address that at running back as well.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Michael-Mayer-TE-NotreDame

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 10:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t worry who would take Jonah. We can pay a part of his salary this year if need be. Mayer can run block as well as any TE in the draft not named Washington. The Bengals like it that he’s the best combo of blocker and receiver in the draft. He is rated going at 24 by the top predictor. The Bengals have elite data like that. They have Irv Smith for this year and Sample for this year only. Mayer solidifies that position for years and eliminates the their nemesis of predictability of tipping their play by substitution. They want to address that at running back as well.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Michael-Mayer-TE-NotreDame

I understand what you are saying about Mayer but it could be argued that you can get the same benefits from the way that the Bengals use the TE with a higher ceiling and/or upside by not trading up and taking Washington or trading down and taking Washington. He as well eliminates the predictability by substitution factor and even more so in short yardage and goal line situations where you may go heavy with an additional lineman. You no longer have the need of bringing in that additional lineman and cause the defense to account for Washington as a receiver as well limiting the defense personnel that they can dedicate to stopping the run or stacking the middle of the field.

If you are including Jonah as a factor for trading up then how would you not worry about who would take him? A team is not going to take Jonah just to take Jonah.
Reply/Quote