Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap Skipping OTAs and Workouts
Not a fan of this.

He is forfeiting 300k by not attending workouts and voluntary OTAs, so it seems that it is most likely contract related.

The problem is he won't get a new deal until Geno gets done.

I hope this doesn't lead to a grudge...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/carlos-dunlap-opts-to-not-attend-bengals-otas/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He is in line for a big contract either from the Bengals or another team. Why risk injury at this point? As long as he shows up to camp, in shape and knowing the new playbook, he'll be fine

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Meh. He knows how to get in shape and he knows how to play. He also knows that his performance this year will be critical for his next contract. 
Reply/Quote
Remembering back, Carlos Dunlap took the offer that was team friendly that Michael Johnson turned down, in order to end up in Tampa. I'm pretty sure that he's ready to get paid, weather it's by the Bengals, or any team in the league.

Cutting players like Michael Johnson and others that don't produce strongly, could make a difference in the team being able to sign Geno and Carlos to extensions, or having to choose one of them. If I'm the Bengals, I'm cutting bait on the dead weight players and re-upping the guys that I know for certain that I can count on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Somebody needs to throw some trash on his lawn.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Spotrac says we have over 15 mil left. Would be nice to squeeze Atkins and Dunlap extensions in with that. But im doubting it happens. Im thinking one gets done the other gets tagged.... And the DT tag was over 3mil less than the DE tag cost this year. And we know how Mike Brown thinks
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Spotrac says we have over 15 mil left. Would be nice to squeeze Atkins and Dunlap extensions in with that. But im doubting it happens. Im thinking one gets done the other gets tagged.... And the DT tag was over 3mil less than the DE tag cost this year. And we know how Mike Brown thinks

Great, we’re not resigning either one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:49 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Great, we’re not resigning either one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, come now..  This is the year to try to extend them.  Next year is panic time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
His choice; as the workouts are optional
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: His choice; as the workouts are optional

Exactly.  

I'd like him here working with Austin and Raich (if they're even allowed), but I'm sure his training equipment is a hundred times better than the team's (even if he's just at Gold's gym).

I would like him here, though, because this season seems to have a whole new culture where we're expecting to win and I'd like the team to be bonding, but it's not that big of a deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remembering back, Carlos Dunlap took the offer that was team friendly that Michael Johnson turned down, in order to end up in Tampa.  I'm pretty sure that he's ready to get paid, weather it's by the Bengals, or any team in the league.

Cutting players like Michael Johnson and others that don't produce strongly, could make a difference in the team being able to sign Geno and Carlos to extensions, or having to choose one of them.  If I'm the Bengals, I'm cutting bait on the dead weight players and re-upping the guys that I know for certain that I can count on.

Agree,

They need to move on from MJ. He's no longer an effective DE and are you gonna pay his salary to a guy getting 10 snaps a game as an inside pass rusher ?

Let him go and sign Carlos !
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:32 PM)pally Wrote: He is in line for a big contract either from the Bengals or another team.  Why risk injury at this point?  As long as he shows up to camp, in shape and knowing the new playbook, he'll be fine

I bet he shows for the manditory mini camp.

We have a new DC.  Los needs to be there.
Reply/Quote
Can't blame Carlos for skipping voluntary workouts while angling for new deal. Look at Hunter Henry (TE) for San Diego tearing his ACL today in voluntary workouts. If I was Geno, I'd sit it out as well. Bengals need to get these guys locked up before training camp.
Reply/Quote
Los has been loyal and a good soldier for a long time. Can't fault him for wanting a payday. Hopefully we get him taken care of soon. Cut MJ if need be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not a fan of this.

He is forfeiting 300k by not attending workouts and voluntary OTAs, so it seems that it is most likely contract related.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/carlos-dunlap-opts-to-not-attend-bengals-otas/

I know it will get poo-poo'd on here that this is very common, this is just OTAs, etc, but I am not a fan of this, either.  With a new DC and some new looks sure to be installed, he should be there soaking it all in and leading the defensive line.    
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure which definition of the word voluntary folks are using..  For all I know he's painting his house and wants to finish.. It's not as if his play on the field over the past several years is one of the unknown knowns.. You know what kind of player he is.  It's May still and not exactly like our first game of the season is right around the corner.. There's still 4 months to go. On the other hand he IS elderly in a nursing home..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Actually, I'm kind of glad he's not there. Carlos is Carlos, he will be ready to go day 1, and just needs training camp to get ready physically. With him sitting out OTA's, that means more reps for our new Ends, who definitely need them more than 'Los does......
Reply/Quote
No huge deal for a seasoned vet to skip.

But with new DC that makes it a little different.

FO needs to get it done.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not a fan of this.

no need for him to risk injury.. dunlap knows what hes doing.   they are VOLUNTARY and he voluntarly gave up 300k to help ensure hes healthy enough to sign for millions
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 07:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it will get poo-poo'd on here that this is very common, this is just OTAs, etc, but I am not a fan of this, either.  With a new DC and some new looks sure to be installed, he should be there soaking it all in and leading the defensive line.    

more snaps for Austin and co to work with the young guys.
Reply/Quote